Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-09-2020, 14:16   #1
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Finalizing s/v Jedi AC diagram

Same as for the DC diagram, please comment

I posted this before but now it's in the "Rod Collins" look and better software was used.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jedi AC v3.1.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	223594  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2020, 09:59   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Finalizing s/v Jedi AC diagram

Here's the v3.2 schematic. It has the external current sensors on the Multiplus II units so that each can detect total current while still operating independent from each other. This is the main reason to go for the new Multiplus II units.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jedi AC v3.2.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	223675  

Old 24-09-2020, 13:29   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

v3.3 is out. We went back to the "old" Multiplus units and support parallel operation with fall back to independent.

There are many reasons: first warranty from the Victron online community I have learned that Victron will replace both units is one fails during the 5-year warranty period and the same revision is not available to replace just the one. So you're not gonna be left with one good but unusable inverter.

Also, support is relatively easy: just two extra breakers are needed. Last but not least, the management is much easier, with both units just appearing as one large capacity unit.

Finally, I got the impression that the Multiplus II may be built at a lower quality level. Example: the case is steel, not aluminum. Also, some internal components are left out and others are not as high rated. Example: only 32A transfer switch instead of 50A.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Jedi AC v3.3.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	224119  

Old 24-09-2020, 17:58   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

Interesting and thank you for posting. I've liked your system since you first posted it many years ago. Now I've been emulating it and will make my final changes before the winter sailing season. One of the key parts of what I'm working towards is a total isolation of my 120v 60hz circuits in all events. As we are planning on returning to the Med, I'm going to buy a 3000w 230v Quattro. This will power my 230v loads and charge the bank when connected to shore power. You never really get more than 32 amps there anyway. I also have the Iso and Auto transformers. My existing 3000w multiplus will just be an inverter in the future. That way my 120v appliances won't get 50hz power, ever.

Can you tell me what program you used to make the diagram?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2668.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	431.9 KB
ID:	224135  
Old 25-09-2020, 04:29   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
Interesting and thank you for posting. I've liked your system since you first posted it many years ago. Now I've been emulating it and will make my final changes before the winter sailing season. One of the key parts of what I'm working towards is a total isolation of my 120v 60hz circuits in all events. As we are planning on returning to the Med, I'm going to buy a 3000w 230v Quattro. This will power my 230v loads and charge the bank when connected to shore power. You never really get more than 32 amps there anyway. I also have the Iso and Auto transformers. My existing 3000w multiplus will just be an inverter in the future. That way my 120v appliances won't get 50hz power, ever.

My v3.3 diagram is very flexible and can do your setup too. First, switch it to independent operation instead of parallel. The text block in the diagram shows how to do that. Next, switch the input breaker of Inverter2 OFF so that it is inverting at all times, set it’s inverter frequency to 60Hz and have all 120/240 60Hz loads select BUS 2 for using that.
Inverter1 has input breaker ON so charges the batteries and powers BUS 1. Have the 230/50Hz loads use BUS 1.

The goal of this diagram is to handle all situations with minimal rewiring. I recommend you get another Multiplus instead of the Quattro so that it can even work in parallel if situations change and it becomes desirable.

I now have a Quattro and the two inputs were only helpful in Panama where shore power went out daily so that there was a lot of switching back and forth from shore power to genset. Compared to dealing with the shore power cord, turning a switch by hand is too easy

Old 25-09-2020, 04:30   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Forgot the question I use LucidChart.com

Old 25-09-2020, 04:42   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
As we are planning on returning to the Med, I'm going to buy a 3000w 230v Quattro.
Wait.... we are changing from 12V to 24V so I will have a like-new Quattro 12/3000/50/50 with 3-4 years warranty left.... and am in the Bahamas or Florida

Old 25-09-2020, 19:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Wait.... we are changing from 12V to 24V so I will have a like-new Quattro 12/3000/50/50 with 3-4 years warranty left.... and am in the Bahamas or Florida
And it's the 230v version? Palarran is in Port Canaveral now and we will be looking to head to Riveria Beach before leaving.

I really need to sit down and fully draw out what I want to accomplish with the system but am pretty sure that the 230v inverter will be a part of the plan. I have three appliances that really can't be subjected to 50hz or it will be like
:
Old 26-09-2020, 01:21   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
And it's the 230v version? Palarran is in Port Canaveral now and we will be looking to head to Riveria Beach before leaving.

I really need to sit down and fully draw out what I want to accomplish with the system but am pretty sure that the 230v inverter will be a part of the plan. I have three appliances that really can't be subjected to 50hz or it will be like
:
Port Canaveral? Really?! We own a slip in Ocean Club Marina and will probably arrive on Monday. We’re in the Abacos now. I will be ordering the 24V units and then our Quattro will be available. Yes, 230V version. We have the same setup with the auto transformer.
Actually, back on shore power, I can take it out sooner because I have another battery charger.

Old 03-10-2020, 05:40   #10

Quote:
When are you going to be unloading this?
crholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 07:18   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crholliday View Post
When are you going to be unloading this?
I am currently finalizing and ordering all components. I think I can keep using everything I have except for the Quattro as I go from 12 to 24V so have to order 24V versions.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:20   #12

Quote:
I am currently finalizing and ordering all components. I think I can keep using everything I have except for the Quattro as I go from 12 to 24V so have to order 24V versions.
I am looking for a Quattro like you have. My question is are you going to sell the Quattro and if so *when*?
crholliday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2020, 08:50   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by crholliday View Post
I am looking for a Quattro like you have. My question is are you going to sell the Quattro and if so *when*?
I am going to sell it but Palarran has first dibs.

Old 04-10-2020, 15:03   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here is the draft for the main AC panel
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	AC Main Panel.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	277.1 KB
ID:	224652  

Old 04-10-2020, 16:23   #15

Pretty interesting system you are building. I hope we can hook up to exchange ideas. As I had said via PM, I still need to do the exercise that you are, but feel a 230v inverter/charger is almost certainly going to be a part of it. The main reason is that I can run my watermaker off it for passages if the gen set failed. There are a host of other benefits that aren't as critical.

Before you order your panel, you should look at repurposing mine. I think it has a lot of the basic's that your going after and when I install the Quattro, won't really need it. Last year we removed the second shore power connection and the 12kva generator so those selections are no longer used. I also won't need my Auto Transformer as there won't be any load imbalance as all 120v stuff will run of my existing Multiplus. I think the rotary switches on the panel cost $450 each, plus the breakers, and there are 5 230v slots. Probably new, I'm guessing a panel like this would be around $3k.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1719 (2019_07_04 03_19_19 UTC).jpg
Views:	79
Size:	407.9 KB
ID:	224653