Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2014, 11:35   #1

Boat: Pearson 422
Feedback on these solar panels?

Anyone purchased from SolarBlvd? or have any feedback on these panels? Seems like $1/watt is a pretty good deal.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Solar Panels.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	77331  
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 13:46   #2

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
Re: Feedback on these solar panels?

Greg, There may be issues using panels designed for grid installations that had not been thought of before. I am going thru the process of trying to get replacement panels. If these are "P" types you should be OK. If "N" types you will /may have to rethink the installation. Report on this problem will be written up within the next few days. The company who found this problem wrote it up in 2005 & paten # 8188363 will give inside.

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 15:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbird View Post
Anyone purchased from SolarBlvd? or have any feedback on these panels? Seems like $1/watt is a pretty good deal.
I bought some panels and a solar controller from them many yrs ago, their prices are good. Shipping across country from Norco, CA might cost quite a bit. Have you been able to find any local places with similar pricing? I'm seeing craigslist ads for Sunpower (the most efficient, supposedly) and Solarworld panels down around 90 cents/watt, Sharp panels for 82 cents/watt in the San Jose area, or if you don't mind Renesola panels, 69 cents/watt. There's an outfit in the Long Beach area selling panels as low as 77 cents/watt, I think they were BP panels.

I would hope you'd be able to find comparable prices close to you.
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 16:07   #4

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I have 4. It took multiple yries to get panels that didnt have defects. Happy with the output and price but wondering if they will last the duration. My gut says its possible. But they are not as well made and quality control is very lacking compared to say kyoceras.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 16:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post
Greg, There may be issues using panels designed for grid installations that had not been thought of before. I am going thru the process of trying to get replacement panels. If these are "P" types you should be OK. If "N" types you will /may have to rethink the installation. Report on this problem will be written up within the next few days. The company who found this problem wrote it up in 2005 & paten # 8188363 will give inside.

Regards Bill
Aren't the types of panels put together to make the cells? P type is positive cell and n negative? Everything ive read says both types are combined. Can you ellaborate?

Old 10-03-2014, 16:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Aren't the types of panels put together to make the cells? P type is positive cell and n negative? Everything ive read says both types are combined. Can you ellaborate?

I went and looked at the patent he mentioned in his post.

Yes, you're right, there is a P layer and an N layer. The electrons flow between the 2 layers, "activated" by the sunlight. This particular patent refers to an issue they call "polarization' in which the glass and frame becomes charged and reduces the output of the solar panel in just a few days. The patent shows how a normal solar panel is constructed of glass, insulator, encapsulant, solar cell, encapsulant and backsheet, from top to bottom. The inventors added an extra layer of encapsulant between the glass and insulator, which supposedly helps prevent the solar cells from becoming polarized, and maintaining power output, even at temps. above 100*C.

The patent was filed by Sunpower in 2009, it was published in 2012.

The power losses in the patent graphs look pretty dramatic, I'm wondering if other mfrs. have discovered other ways to eliminate polarization since then, otherwise it seems to me that most panels would put out very little power, nowhere near their rated power levels.
Old 10-03-2014, 16:45   #7

I know we have two paneos per side about 240 rated watts 6.4 amps? We have seen a 14 amp charge when the sub was hitting only one side and thats w a pwm controller. So pretty sure the output is there.

Old 10-03-2014, 17:41   #8

Boat: Pearson 422

Hmm - I'm not finding rigid 140 panels for anything less than $1/w. Any links would be much appreciated.

I'm focused on that size since I'm planning on mounting them on the lifeline railing (extending the stern pulpit) on each stern quarter. If they end up not quite enough juice, then I can add a couple smaller semi-flexible panels on the top of the bimini.
Paperbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 18:02   #9

The ones I quoted above were from a quick craigslist search for san diego, ca. Probably the best ones I saw for your application were 345w Sunpower panels. They might be a little larger than the 140w ones you were looking at, but watts/sqft you can't beat them. If you want something closer to the size you were looking at, they also make 230w ones that are probably a little closer to the 140w sized panels.
Old 10-03-2014, 23:42   #10

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post

In 2007 I thought I knew enough to install 2 X 200 Watt 37V panels like what you have for Grid tied systems. ("N" type). They were top good made in USA panels. Cost in those days $3K for the two!! A failure has been found & I am working thru that issue now. It came to pass that the panels needed to have the passive ground on the positive to prevent surface polarization which greatly reduces the output. It is reversable when grounded correctly. It is hard to find any type of controller that allows positive ground on the input & negative ground on the battery. Most commercial cells are "P" type & that allows negative ground both sides. I had never heard of this but it appears to be real. The failure maybe just that & not to do with the type of cell used. The next few days will tell. Just be aware of this issue when you are buying. I have mine mounted on plastic side rail brackets but still working thru the correct grounding for this type of panel.

I "like" boats as I get to learn something new every day. Hang about thats dementia!!

Regards Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2014, 01:04   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill good View Post

Regards Bill
Thanks Bill. I have the same issue and what you said make sense.
slag101 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
panels, solar, solar panels