Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2016, 19:49   #1

Boat: Morgan, center cockpit sloop, 44 - Enough
European Marina 220 v dock receptacles and step down transformers

When we retire we will move S/V Enough to Sicily and live aboard there. Winter in the med and do England, Ireland and Low Countries in summer.

Question one is, are there a reasonable number of dock power receptacle types as there are in the US or are we going to have to wait till we settle in a marina and adjust accordingly as we move around?

Question two is, can anyone recommend a supplier of a 7.5 KVA 240 to 120 volt, 50 Hz step down transformer?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
SV Enough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 20:00   #2

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana
Re: European Marina 220 v dock receptacles and step down transformers

Speak to my friend Eric at Gateway Nautica in La Linea (200 yards from Gibraltar) he has completely sealed transformers, new and used, as boats entering the Med and Leaving generally pass right through the marina there. GatewayNautica - under construction
Old 09-05-2016, 01:51   #3

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Nearly all marinas and most town quays across Europe use the ubiquitous blue CEE17 sockets also used on camp sites. This is rated at 16A. Very occasionally you may find the normal European domestic socket. Much less common and fewer in number in any particular location is a higher power 32A socket for large boats and small cruise ships.
You should note, that in some places, while the outlets may be rated to 16A, the output may be breakered to quite a low value, say 6A. I have met this in France and UK.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 05:33   #4
Elvish meaning 'Far-Wanderer'

Boat: 56' Fountaine Pajot Marquises

IMO, work an extra period so you can afford to buy a Victron Isolation Transformer and Auto Transformer. Then you have excellent equipment you can trust in your retirement.

Hello Rapanui - Long time - no see. Hope you enjoy your summer. We will be back up to Croatia next summer I think.
David.
Old 09-05-2016, 05:54   #5

Thank you all. The notion of an auto transformer is a good idea for its smaller size and less weight. The lack of isolation troubles me however. I suspect you have a suggestion to address this concern?

Picking a purpose built transformer in Gibraltar is a great idea. I am just wondering if anyone had any US suppliers so that I might explore all possibilities before deciding on a course of action?

More input would also be appreciated.

Old 09-05-2016, 06:05   #6
cruiser

Our US 110v boat lives in Europe full time and will continue to do so. All ac runs through the inverter, dc is not a problem, the boat has a charging system that uses the 220v dockside power. Buying anything that plugs in is a PITA that needs to be purchased in the US, then brought over to the EU. Just as we think we have everything... I'm bringing a new microwave oven with me on the plane tomorrow on my way back. Had I known the boat would be staying in Europe, I probably would have instead purchased a VAT paid 220v boat.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:16   #7

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Enough View Post
Question one is, are there a reasonable number of dock power receptacle types as there are in the US or are we going to have to wait till we settle in a marina and adjust accordingly as we move around?
I'm not sure what you mean by this. If the question is if you will find 230 Volt outlets at any given waterside spot. No you will not.
If the question is if most marinas and "organized" visitor spots have shore power available. Then yes. Most of them will run either 6, 10 or 16 Amp @ 230 Volt, the vast majority utilizing the blue CEE plug.
Some marinas even offer multi-phase (3*16 or 3*32) power outlets if you run a power hungry A/C or whatever.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:40   #8

Quote:
Thank you all. The notion of an auto transformer is a good idea for its smaller size and less weight. The lack of isolation troubles me however. I suspect you have a suggestion to address this concern?

More input would also be appreciated.

You need both of the Victron units. Search this forum for Jedi's thread on his install. I did it also and it works perfectly. From 16 amps 220 you end up with 32 amps 110v.
Old 09-05-2016, 07:48   #9

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah

The Victron equipment recommended by others have good reputations. When I prepped for a European cruise in 2004 the most common option was the British tool transformers sold by MAYS in Horta. Cheap and portable.
I decided on an installed unit before departing so I was ready to hook up when I met my first 230VAC50Hz outlet.
I went with Mastervolt as they had a significant presence in the US. I hadn't heard of Victron at the time. A friend went with a US manufacturer, Olsen. Both worked fine in Europe. All of my AC appliances worked on the 110VAC50Hz power produced by the Mastervolt, although my A/C sounded like a cement mixer so I only used it once on a particularly hot, humid night in Palma de Mallorca.
My Mastervolt failed me on the first two winters after I returned to the US running small space heaters in the colder mid-atlantic environment. In Europe I used a 230VAC space heater on a circuit that bypassed the transformer. I think the Mastervolt ratings for this unit are not very conservative, but again it served me well in Europe. My friend's Olsen unit was still working when he sold the boat in Oz a number of years later.
Here's a link to my Mastervolt installation: 125VAC Electrical System
and my friend's Olsen installation:European Power Onboard

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 07:55   #10

Yah, I came to the power limitation realization of Europe vs US marinas over breakfast this morning after reading all the insightful posts.

I pack a wife with ALL that goes with it. Washer, dryer, hot water heater, toaster oven, microwave, frig, deep freezer and the list goes on. We have a 6KW genset and have dual 30 amp connections to our pier, this will take some getting used to.

Speaking of microwave; does anyone have experience how a US 60 Hz 120 volt microwave will behave if given 120 v 50 Hz? My wife wants to know ;-).

Old 09-05-2016, 08:12   #11

Quote:
Yah, I came to the power limitation realization of Europe vs US marinas over breakfast this morning after reading all the insightful posts.

I pack a wife with ALL that goes with it. Washer, dryer, hot water heater, toaster oven, microwave, frig, deep freezer and the list goes on. We have a 6KW genset and have dual 30 amp connections to our pier, this will take some getting used to.

Speaking of microwave; does anyone have experience how a US 60 Hz 120 volt microwave will behave if given 120 v 50 Hz? My wife wants to know ;-).

We could be brothers - or more like brother in laws because our wives are nearly the same. You really need the set up that Jedi and I have - 32 amp - in order to run your washer / dryer. I mean, why freaking suffer?

No problem with the microwave. What I did have a problem with was my washing machine - which toasted the electronics. Then, when I replaced it with an EU model, it won't run on my 60hz generator. So we only do laundry when at a quay. No big deal and probably better.

What would make my system perfect world wide would be the addition of the Quattro inverter/charger. But I have a perfectly functional Magnum now so it doesn't make sense.
Old 09-05-2016, 08:30   #12

I'm looking into the several of these suggestions. Could anyone get me in touch with Jedi?

The wife;
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1462807800.861617.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	123968

Old 09-05-2016, 08:34   #13

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46

Quote:

Bought a $100 800w 110v microwave in St Martin and have been running it in my 220 50 Hz and 250v 60HZ Marinas throughout the Carib with no problems. My boat is a Euro Beneteau 52 with Euro electric and a Transformer hard wired for the boats 120v plugs. If it fails in the future I am already ahead of the cost/utility curve in my standards.
For what its worth
Ernei on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 08:41   #14

It's no problem to find the thread. If you go to the forum search tab, choose the second option, google search. Then type "jedi victron installation".

Or click here to make it easier
Old 09-05-2016, 08:42   #15

Quote:
I'm looking into the several of these suggestions. Could anyone get me in touch with Jedi?

The wife;
Attachment 123968

Nice jugs, er, jerry cans

Tags
dock, Europe, rope