Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2015, 15:05   #1

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter
Equalizing T-105's

Recently attempting to equalize 900ah house bank due to performance loss discovered that in fact the MassCombi unit had been set on Gel/Spiral which prevents equalization function from operating. Don.t know hhow this happened however after setting in correct position equalized batteries until automatic timeout function shut off this charging mode. Maximum 14.96v attained with all loads disconnected from batteries after 6 hrs.

Questions;

Is this charge sufficient to equalize the batteries?

Is there any tests that can be performed to determine the condition of the batteries? Will Specific Gravity readings give a good indication in a full charge state? If so what should these readings be?

Although fitted with both DC and AC driven fridge compressors, the AC fridges run so much less and cool so much quicker that we run the AC fridges off the 4000w inverter from the batteries. However this draws a huge load on startup and we would like to install a smart start on these fridges. The fridges are Seafrost and the smartstart available is a Dometic. Can anyone provide a wiring diagram for this installation?
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 18:32   #2

Re: Equalizing T-105's

with a bank that big I'd probably equalize batteries separatly. this also allows you you keep powering the boat off the others.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 05:30   #3

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
with a bank that big I'd probably equalize batteries separatly. this also allows you you keep powering the boat off the others.
Are you saying this because this 900ah battery bank cannot be effectively equalized due to the limited current of the charge (6 amps) or just because it may be convenient to keep some of the systems running while equalizing?

To do this I would have to purchase a separate charger with equalizing capacity and as I am in Oz this would probably be exorbitant as the last time I was in a repco even a simple trickle charger was around $100.00AU. Might be nice to have a back up though in case the Mastervolt ever failed. You know we love to have redundancies.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2015, 09:03   #4

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

I think what he is saying is that you are probably better off equalizing each battery separately using a small charger that you can set to the voltage required for equalization. I have no idea if that is accurate. However...

You may be able to find such a charger at an automative store. They are relatively inexpensive but you need to be able to set the actual voltage - a simple equalization setting is not good enough since the Trojans have much higher equalization voltages than other batteries and the default voltage may not be what you need. Also I think the 105's are 6 volt.

You would need to disconnect each battery from the bank, set the charger to the correct voltage for equalizing and then watch for the specific gravity to stop changing.

You can probably take them to a car garage to get it done.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote