Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2010, 13:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tropic Cat View Post
... Are there testimonials?
Yes, all sorts of them. Nine out ten dentists recommend ....
Pulsetech - Product Information

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 15:01   #17
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
I just love computers and search functions...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
My last set of batteries lasted eleven years (I screwed up and completely discharged them), and the previous set lasted fourteen years.
Quote:
I have been installing Pulse tech products in my customer's boats for many years. In my own boat, the last set of batteries lasted 15 years.
[...]
I disbelieved (forgive me), but learned the error of my ways.
[...]
I went to the website and learned about the government research. I have had a fair bit of chemistry and physics, as well as electronics training. I learned that this all evolved from NASA research for the Moon project.
[...]
Then, the military discovered the product. Made getting them difficult because much of the product was sent off overseas. They are required equipment on combat armored vehicles. Also, the Air Force uses them on emergency runway equipment.
[...]
Problem is, it also heats up the battery plates something fierce. Put your hand on the side of a battery undergoing the "equalization" cycle and you will know what I mean - it gets really hot! That leads to plates shedding lead to the bottom of the battery case, to eventually stack up and short out the plate - hence, dead battery.
[...]
The electron makes it over the quantum hump, the sulfate ion is released from its bond and floats back into the solution of the electrolyte. It is fulfilled and happy to have been of service to mankind.
[...]
At any rate, the specific gravity magically increases.
[...]
You have been warned, I am not to be trusted in this matter, as I am seriously warped by my association with these products.
Quote:
Originally Posted by btrayfors View Post
In a controlled test of several of these "pulsers" over a period of nearly two years, in association with two well-known and respected colleagues (and gurus in the boating industry), we were unable to prove any positive effect of these devices. We were using sophisticated instruments.

Further, at the beginning of the testing we examined the outputs from a number of these devices using a spectrum analyzer. They were all DIFFERENT, i.e., the pulsing differed in amplitude, frequency, duration, waveform, etc. Sort of raises the question, "how can they work if they're all different...very different?".

We know of some testing of these devices by a well-known and serious national testing laboratory. They, as we, were unable to prove any beneficial effects.
Quote:
Probably not a good idea to bring this subject up again. It's kind of like the Vatican vs. Galileo. You either believe one way or the other.
Quote:
I can live without biocide!
[...]
The fuel is picked up one inch from the bottom of the tank and transported to a bank of of Racor filters VIA AN ALGAE-X UNIT. Yeah, I really wanted to stir things up here. Now the unending litany of "smoke and mirrors", "junk science", etc. is going to occupy this thread for a while. Unless, of course, one actually reads the Federal Technology report or the DTI reports on the Algae-X website (Algae X Fuel Conditioning).
[...]
In short, the beasties that create the muck in the fuel tank have iron in their guts. The unit aligns them magnetically, which allows them to pass through the filter medium, and pass through the injectors to be given a Viking funeral.
Quote:
I love this. This is going to ignite another firestorm: Go to Batteries Plus, buy a Pulse-Tech desulfator. Install it. Watch the specific gravity rise over the following weeks as the battery begins to hold more charge. Eventually, out of boredom, forget you ever installed it, and wonder, afresh, how long it's been since you replaced the batteries. Remember, this technology has only been around about twenty or thirty years. My customers keep asking how long before their batteries will croak, because they forgot when they were installed.

Now, for the usual barrage of outrage and disinformation.
cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 15:11   #18
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Hey Nick ... you play rough...

Thanks for saving me the time to research this.
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 16:36   #19

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Hi kids, me again. Pulse Tech sent me two studies, the short version of the Ohio State/Oakland University (Michigan) study, with the promise to send a CD copy of the full 80 page report, and an abstract of Paper # 973175, Society of Automotive Engineers SAE Technical Paper Series.

Gord, I don't know how to attach all this stuff to a thread. I trust your abilities as a moderator and as one who still works in the industry. I also value your record of fairness and open consideration of challenging viewpoints. May I forward the e-mail and attachments? I will also send the CD as soon as I receive it.

I checked the CV for Larry B. Andersen, Ph.D, of Ohio State University. Seems like a capable fellow. So, appear his fellow participants Tadeusz Malinski, Ph.D., and Robert Bailey, Ph.D., also of OSU.

New ideas are often challenging. I didn't accept this information easily, myself, at first, but at least gave it a chance to prove itself in actual trials. My observations were simple: batteries that would not hold a charge and discarded by their owners, were often enough salvageable with a two month application of this technology. When I began using them for maintenance of my own batteries, I got astounding longevity. Other folks in my community of boaters reported the same. Hence my response. But when I have brought this to the attention of CF, it seems to ignite a firestorm of folks who get pretty negatively excited. It makes me wonder what's at issue.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 21:04   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Roy, you have stated that your last set of batteries lasted 11 years and before that 14 or 15 years. And you write that it is these pulse tech devices that allowed you to enjoy these batteries for so long. Explain how that can be when pulse tech was only founded in 1994?

You also stated that you are installing pulse tech devices on your customer's boat for 25 years now (in this thread) so that started in 1985, 9 years before the manufacturer was founded?!

cheers,
Nick.
Old 10-03-2010, 04:37   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Roy.

Quote:
Hi kids, me again. Pulse Tech sent me two studies, the short version of the Ohio State/Oakland University (Michigan) study, with the promise to send a CD copy of the full 80 page report, and an abstract of Paper # 973175, Society of Automotive Engineers SAE Technical Paper Series...
The first study was COMMISSIONED by Puseltech (bought & paid for), and the second presentation was PREPARED by Pulsetech.

I don’t consider either to be entirely “independent”.

QUOTE=Roy M;416858]... Gord, I don't know how to attach all this stuff to a thread. I trust your abilities as a moderator and as one who still works in the industry. I also value your record of fairness and open consideration of challenging viewpoints. May I forward the e-mail and attachments? I will also send the CD as soon as I receive it.[/quote]

I’m retired from Forum Administration and from Engineering (not a Moderator, & not working in any industry).
You could cut & past the papers to a Word/WordPerfect document, and post that here. You could scan the copies, save as a jpeg, and attach here.
Otherwise PM or Email the information to me, and I'll try to post it for you.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:12   #22

Hi kids. Nick, I was introduced to the Pulsetech units by a fellow yacht club member, who taught electronics, way before 1994. At the time, the units probably had another name. I recall that, because about the period you cite, there was a change in ownership and the product now had an LED installed. I recall we had a few laughs about that. So you are absolutely correct, the current owner of the patents and product line is only about fifteen years old. Sometimes my memory doesn't serve well for, what I think of as, trivial details. So it's probably a very good idea for you to discount the whole idea of desulfation because it probably can't coexist in your belief system.

Gord, thank you for your openness and frankness. Please send me a PM with your e-mail and I'll forward the material to you.

To anyone who still is curious, I propose the following test: Find a discarded 12 volt flooded cell battery that hasn't obviously shorted out, still doesn't hold a charge for more than a short while, and hasn't had it's plates dried out. Confirm its water level in the cells, give it a slow, overnight charge. The next morning, using a battery hydrometer, test the specific gravity to confirm the reduced level of sulfate ions in the electrolyte. Then, using a battery tester, available at many parts stores, test the voltage drop with the fixed resistance load, over ten seconds. Install a Pulsetech to the terminals and leave the battery for two months. Then, give the battery the forementioned overnight charge, and repeat the test. I've done this many times. Assuming the old battery hadn't been damaged (possibly by equalization heating of the plates?) in most cases the battery specific gravity was at 12.70 or greater. Followup testing with the battery tester, pulling the surface charge off the plates, showed the needle remaining in the green, then bouncing back to 12.5 volts or higher, after ten seconds. Many of these same batteries continued to be in service for several years more. My personal batteries, with the units installed at the beginning, performed unusually well for the years I mentioned (with some recognition that recollection of precise figures may drop with advancing age of the user). If that isn't sufficent proof for consideration of the concept, then it's probably that the units emit some form of suggestive ethereal energy that makes me forget that I probably bought six or eight sets of batteries in the term of my testing. In which case I most humbley beg your forgiveness for wasting your time, and thank you for your generous contributions to the battery building industry.
Old 10-03-2010, 13:29   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

As recived from PulseTech, through thre good graces of Roy M:

THE
SCIENCE
OF
SOLARGIZER

September 1999

Increasing demands on electro-chemical energy storage systems for military as well as civilian use have prompted requirements for longer life and higher efficiency from present systems.
Searches for new chemistry, radical changes in packaging, and entirely new approaches to energy storage are some of the solutions being sought on many fronts in the United States and around the world. Higher standards of efficiency in energy management as well as improved maintenance and life extension methods for existing systems will help meet these requirements.
Until a cost effective, highly efficient system is proven available and practical, we must all agree that the lead-acid rechargeable battery system is with us now and into the foreseeable future.

Scientific Summary
The purpose of this document is to bring to your attention the results, to date, of an ongoing private research project sponsored and funded by PulseTech Products Corporation of Southlake, Texas. The objective of this project is to analyze the life extension benefits to lead-acid batteries of a technology comprised of subjecting a battery to a series of high frequency, carefully controlled, patented direct current pulses for the purpose of extending battery life and enhancing performance during the life of the battery. This is called Pulse Technology.
In response to a request from the scientific and engineering community with the U.S. government for scientific validation of claims that pulse technology improves battery performance and efficiency and lengthens the life cycle, we began studies in the summer of 1998. These studies were designed to evaluate the performance of the SOLARGIZER , define the working parameters and document the results. These results will be used to facilitate design improvements, additional potential benefits and uses; and enhance our understanding of the positive results we have seen from actual applications over the past six years.
PulseTech Products Corporation contracted with Oakland University and The Ohio State University to conduct separate evaluations of the SOLARGIZER . At the present time, the test programs are approximately 50% complete and the results, to date are very promising. The methodology used compared pulsed and non-pulsed samples utilizing:
Galvanostatic and Voltametric Method
UV – Visible Reflectance
Electron Scanning Microscopy
X-ray Diffraction
The following data illustrates the results for these analytical methods. Each of these methods verifies the validity of pulsed over non-pulsed samples.
Galvanostatic and Voltametric Method
Galvanostatic and voltametric data are reflected in the first 50 cycles of an ongoing test at Oakland University that is designed to evaluate battery life extension due to pulse technology. The two-volt plates which were constructed by the University lab technicians for the purpose of this study were subjected to 150 mA/cm2 charge and 150 mA/cm2 discharge cycles. The only difference being a SOLARGIZER attached to the plate being pulsed.
The dramatic difference in the test plates’ charge acceptance is well illustrated in Figure 7 and Figure 9, shown on the following page, showing the first and fiftieth cycle results.
The longer charge and discharge cycles are a direct result of the SOLARGIZER pulsing enabling the active material to accept more current and convert it more efficiently to stored chemical energy. The effect of the pulse on the plates enables the stored energy to be converted more effectively and utilized as electron flow during the discharge cycle.
On the 50th cycle of the pulsed plate, the SOLARGIZER was removed so no additional current was applied during the discharge cycle. The graph shows a very significant efficiency improvement of discharge time vs. charge time by using SOLARGIZER .

No Figures were included, and I can't evaluate the claims based upon this "Scientific Study", which was bought & paid for by PulseTech.
I remain UNCONVINCED and very SKEPTICAL.

Old 10-03-2010, 14:25   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is just so lame and typical of these scams and free energy cults. Here we get something from 1999, written by the manufacturer of the devices, stating that the research at these universities is 50% complete. Where are the reports from the universities????? Why isn't there a document upon completion of this research????? Why weren't the results published and where are the headlines in all major news papers crying out with joy from these amazing discoveries???
I wouldn't even be surprised if these universities don't exist or never did the research or never completed it or came up with final reports showing failure to prove the technology works. If they would have completed with positive results, surely pulse tech would come up with those reports?!

But this is just what Roy likes; every time he starts this same discussion again he opens with his hand wringing joyfully statements like "now we get this firestorm again" etc. Well, I hope you get a good fix again Roy, I also feel better knowing that my posts got some readers to understand the snake oil you try to sell. I hope your commercial interests weren't damaged too much because of it, but then again, you don't have a commercial subscription to this forum anyway.

cheers!
Nick.
Old 10-03-2010, 14:40   #25

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Well Roy, the thread is yours. When it's finished I'll post the links to the General Electric research that shows it's snake oil. In the mean time, please post your links to the NASA studies on the subject and explain why NASA uses vented lead acid batteries ... I thought they were big with fuel cells instead.

cheers,
Nick.
Nick,
Have you got a link to the GE stuff? I've been looking at a lot of other stuff about these things, and they all follow the same thread as other items like the condensator " Home " . I do beleive I'll stick with the "as gentle as I can" treatment of the house bank.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:10   #26
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
I have put an o'scope across the "output" of the PulseTech and seen...............nothing.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 16:49   #27

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
I have put an o'scope across the "output" of the PulseTech and seen...............nothing.
Not even a deflection off of baseline from the little toy solar cell????
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 21:52   #28

CharlieJ: check out http://www.aeroelectric.com/Referenc...Desulfator.pdf

A bunch of battery geeks build their own and offer how to observe output using oscilloscopes and sweep generators, page 3.
Old 06-04-2010, 09:57   #29

Hi there (in case anyone is still monitoring this thread). I just received the full lab report by Tadeusz Malinski, Ph.D., Chair of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, Ohio University at Athens. If there are some forum members with plenty of time on their hands, you can Google him for background and reputation. For those who don't, he is considered an expert in Electroanalytic Chemistry, Nanobiotechnology and Nanomedicine, among other things (OHIO: Research | Scientists discover world’s smallest superconductor). His report, replete with photos and spectroanalyses, full documentation of testing procedures and observations, is not for the casual viewer at 151 pages. If anyone has had advanced education in chemistry it is an entertaining romp. My copy is on a CD sent to me by Rick Gregory of PulseTech. If there is anyone who has the credentials to seriously evaluate this stuff, I will send a copy to them for review. Otherwise, just consider the whole thing psuedoscience, cooked up by some egghead who you wouldn't pay any attention to anyway. I am happy, though. 'Nuff said.
Old 06-04-2010, 10:31   #30

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Have them put it on the web for the whole world to read and I'll read it.

cheers,
Nick.

Tags
alternator, ample power, equalization, regulator