Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2009, 08:00   #1

Boat: Valiant 50
Entec West EW-4200-D Genset - Opinions ?

I am looking for a small, lightweight genset in the range around 4 - 5 kW.

I only just discovered the Entec West product ( Entec West, Inc. Products )

Has anyone had any experience with the EW-4200. especially with respect to reliability and after sales support?

Curiously, Fischer Panda make an identical looking product.

Thanks
Old 29-08-2010, 09:02   #2

Belated reply. But maybe this info will be helpful to others.

I purchased a used Entec West 4200D with 840 hours and installed it in my Lancer 36. The footprint was the defining factor as I beleive it has the smallest footprint of any diesel genset on the market, and the only one that would fit into the planned space. I relocated my hot water heater to the port lazerette and installed the generator in the space perviously occupied by the hot water heater. It sits in the engine room, athwart ship, aft of my main engine. I am able to easily access all of the areas that require routine service (impellers, oil change), and can unbolt it and turn it sideways if necessary for complete access to all parts of the generator.

Re noise: The Farymann diesel is known for being noisy. An optional sound enclosure is available from Entec West, however it would not fit into my space. I have good engine room insulation and added a set of doors that isolate the genset from the main engine, thus creating a semi-sound. enclosure. The result is a very reasonable level of sound while seated in the cockpit or below deck.

Re vibration: The Entec West Genset comes mounted with shock absorbing motor mounts on a Steel skid. Bolt the skid to a solid platform ( I was able to use the platform that had been constructed for the hot water heater) and you should experience minimal vibration.

Re Reliability: I have had a series of problems with the water pumps (both fresh and raw water). All have been serviceable and trace back to poor maintenance by the previous owner. Aside from that, the unit has been extremely reliable. The control panel has a series of indicator lights that readily show you any issues that you may have with oil pressure, exhaust temperature, or coolant temperature. The control panel will also shut down the engine if any of these indicators are set off.

RE Customer Support: Outstanding! Entec West always answers their phone and will talk you thru any problems you may be encountering. Keep in mind that I bought my unit used, they still have been more than willing to help me with any issues I have encountered.

So there it is. I hope this proves useful to anyone else considering an Entec West Generator. I will be happy to answer any other questions.

Bill
freedbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2010, 09:39   #3

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
The Entec West is a good generator and they do have excellent customer support. But their weakness is the Farryman diesel engine. Check out NextGen's small unit which uses a Kubota diesel for your application.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 17:18   #4

Re: Entec West EW-4200-D Genset - Opinions ?

Hello, I am considering buying a 36 uniflite with twin 3208 cats. It is equipped with an Entec West 4200 generator. Any advice? Also, looks like the oil cooler has a crack from the cold weather. Any ideas of how to fix or the cost of having it fixed? thanks
Johnnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 21:33   #5

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnnie View Post
Hello, I am considering buying a 36 uniflite with twin 3208 cats. It is equipped with an Entec West 4200 generator. Any advice? Also, looks like the oil cooler has a crack from the cold weather. Any ideas of how to fix or the cost of having it fixed? thanks

I don't know that anyone would know how to fix it and the cost without seeing it. Why don't you take it to a Tradesman Welder to see if it can be brazed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp oil cooler.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	188193  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2019, 22:42   #6

Thanks for the feedback. That is an option. Is this a recurrent problem with this generator?
Johnnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2020, 12:28   #7

Boat: Nauticat38

I know this is a bit of a stale thread, but I have one for sale with sound dampening box, that was just in for a checkup, replaced a spring and got a clean bill of health!

Planned on listing it later this spring, but if anyone is interested, let me know....
SailingAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 08:53   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingAdrift View Post
I know this is a bit of a stale thread, but I have one for sale with sound dampening box, that was just in for a checkup, replaced a spring and got a clean bill of health!

Planned on listing it later this spring, but if anyone is interested, let me know....
Is this still available and if so how many hours and what are you asking for it. thx
acarpino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2020, 08:56   #9

Also what year and any pics showing the sound box as well
acarpino1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2020, 08:55   #10

Boat: Nauticat38

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3b2vijbzn...oSd58_vza?dl=0

Not sure on year, and the panel only shows .7 hours. This will come with sound enclosure, lift muffler, and fuel separator, a backup spring, and panel, so it's a complete setup. 4.2KW Generator with a relatively tiny footprint!

Was planning on Ebaying it for 5,000, but I'd take 4. Local pickup would be easiest (Portland,OR), but could ship on a pallet.
SailingAdrift is offline   Reply With Quote