Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2015, 15:43   #1

Boat: Spirit 28
Engine-related Electrical Loads

So I'm slowly working my way through a fairly extensive re-wiring project, including the installation of a selector switch to allow the starter to be powered either from the main bank, or from a reserve battery (basically the common recommedation on this forum and elsewhere).

Since the boat originally only had one battery, all loads received power from the single load center. But with the starter selector switch, I'm thinking that I should power everything related to the engine from that switch (not just the starter). This would include engine instruments, buzzers, alternator regulators, and starter solenoid.

My rationale is that if the main bank is totally dead or malfunctioned, I would need power to all those things (not just the starter) in order to get the engine up and running, and generating electricity, safely.

Make sense? Any comments or suggestions? Other things I should connect to the "engine bus"?
Rusty123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 18:00   #2

Re: Engine-related Electrical Loads

yes. normally all those things are powered from the starter post. so you'd have one wire from battery switch to starter post then splitting from there to ign etc.

you should definatlly be able to start and run the engine with the house battery disconnected.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 18:51   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
yes. normally all those things are powered from the starter post. so you'd have one wire from battery switch to starter post then splitting from there to ign.
This seperate buss idea is way more involved. Think of how much more complex you could make your boat than the above system. I'm thinkin of a rocket ship with all the engine electrical coming from the starter post.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2015, 19:18   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
This seperate buss idea is way more involved. Think of how much more complex you could make your boat than the above system. I'm thinkin of a rocket ship with all the engine electrical coming from the starter post.

Im not sure I follow your point. Could you please elaborate?
Old 29-06-2015, 22:01   #5

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty123 View Post
Im not sure I follow your point. Could you please elaborate?
Sure, keep it simple.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 13:32   #6

Boat: Binliner 195

I would run the engine as a stand alone one battery system, No loads apart from start & running, The house system / batteries are then separate but with an emergency "bridge" in case engine is flat and house is good , The house batteries are then charged by shore power, Solar or a relay that only energises them to engine charge when engine is charging (relay controlled by alternator warning light)
Tim
blackswan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2015, 14:31   #7

Engine-related Electrical Loads

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan555 View Post
I would run the engine as a stand alone one battery system, No loads apart from start & running, The house system / batteries are then separate but with an emergency "bridge" in case engine is flat and house is good , The house batteries are then charged by shore power, Solar or a relay that only energises them to engine charge when engine is charging (relay controlled by alternator warning light)

Tim

Agree, thats what I'm gravitating towards, but with AO connected to house bank, and then to start battery via ACR.

Tags
cal, electric, electrical, engine, loa