Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2013, 06:11   #106

Boat: Custom 30
Re: Electrified Lifelines(on purpose)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
A kid trying to get on a boat at night (or day) without permission, gets no more sympathy from me than an adult would. If a would be thief drowns, I will lose no sleep.
Let's say some people vacationing on the shore near your anchorage have kids ages 6-8. Let's say they decided to take the little row boat out, and not tell their parents. Let's say the wind and current blew them away, straight to your boat. Let's say they were scared to death that they would be swept away, so they boarded your boat.

Do they deserve the death penalty for taking the rowboat out, to protect your precious belongings?

What if they were your kids, your sister's kids, your neighbor's kids?

'
Custom30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:15   #107

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay
Forgive my bluntness, but this thread is basically useless. You all are debating something that probably does not work. There is a reason they make ladders out of fiberglass as well as aluminum. As well as the bucket on boom trucks that line men use. You guessed it fiberglass does not conduct electricity.
Could we have someone try this and report if it works? I am betting that it doesn't.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:33   #108

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I'm guessing you'd actually lose a whole lot of sleep, while sitting in a foreign jail.
That would probably be right, if that bridge ever comes.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:34   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom30 View Post
Let's say some people vacationing on the shore near your anchorage have kids ages 6-8. Let's say they decided to take the little row boat out, and not tell their parents. Let's say the wind and current blew them away, straight to your boat. Let's say they were scared to death that they would be swept away, so they boarded your boat.

Do they deserve the death penalty for taking the rowboat out, to protect your precious belongings?

What if they were your kids, your sister's kids, your neighbor's kids?

'
Oh please, spare me the rubbish. Not worthy of any further comment.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:44   #110
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Electrified Lifelines(on purpose)

I've travelled to and around many countries... hiked alone through the Hindu Kush (NWFP), as an adult and a kid.. wandered through Cape Town all hours.. swapped yarns in a fishermens café in Tunisia with folk so poor, shoes I was throwing away were treated like gold.. drunk till the wee hours with locals in Phillipsburg, SMX and other no go areas in the islands.. and not once felt truly in danger.. hell I even feel safe in Karachi or Lahore..
Only place I've been beat up was in the UK... the only place I've felt I could get killed for giving someone the finger for being a road hog was in NY state...
Says something about the national culture and mentality when you poll/check the nationalities of the people who start and support aggressive threads like these..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:10   #111
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I've travelled to and around many countries... hiked alone through the Hindu Kush (NWFP), as an adult and a kid.. wandered through Cape Town all hours.. swapped yarns in a fishermens café in Tunisia with folk so poor, shoes I was throwing away were treated like gold.. drunk till the wee hours with locals in Phillipsburg, SMX and other no go areas in the islands.. and not once felt truly in danger.. hell I even feel safe in Karachi or Lahore..
Only place I've been beat up was in the UK... the only place I've felt I could get killed for giving someone the finger for being a road hog was in NY state...
Says something about the national culture and mentality when you poll/check the nationalities of the people who start and support aggressive threads like these..

Did you bring your wife and kids with you? Would you have been more concerned about security if you had?

Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:52   #112

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

I didnt read all the posts, but if you think a 12 volt fence charger wont zap you, crawl through my fence row. Even the solar chargers keep a 2000 pound bull away.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 08:55   #113

Boat: Celestial 48

For crap sakes, hooking an electric fence system to lifelines will not work. You need the shockee (possible intruder) to be grounded. Standing on fiberglass deck will not ground you. If it did provide a ground, the
stanchions (mounted on deck) would then ground system out anyway, rendering it inoperable.

Motion sensor on deck wired to spreader lights would be a much better method and would not be objectionable to those who might be boarding your boat for acceptable purposes (maybe there to help you in case of an emergency?). Bright lights usually enought to get a thief to move along.
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:00   #114

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I think if you are in the habit of giving the finger you could have problems in more places than just NY.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 09:01   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
For crap sakes, hooking an electric fence system to lifelines will not work. You need the shockee (possible intruder) to be grounded. Standing on fiberglass deck will not ground you. If it did provide a ground, the
stanchions (mounted on deck) would then ground system out anyway, rendering it inoperable.

Motion sensor on deck wired to spreader lights would be a much better method and would not be objectionable to those who might be boarding your boat for acceptable purposes (maybe there to help you in case of an emergency?). Bright lights usually enought to get a thief to move along.
Just a question, what if the lifelines were grabbed onto while the thief was still in the water?
Old 05-06-2013, 09:03   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
I think if you are in the habit of giving the finger you could have problems in more places than just NY.
Mr Bean did it in his movie in America and had no problems lol.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:08   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt sachs View Post
I didnt read all the posts, but if you think a 12 volt fence charger wont zap you, crawl through my fence row. Even the solar chargers keep a 2000 pound bull away.
Fence energizing systems (including those suppled by 12 v systems) output something like 5000 volts to fence in short (like .0003 seconds) pulses. Just connecting the 12 volts direct to fence doesn't work (which is what I think was the prior point made).
Old 05-06-2013, 09:11   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Just a question, what if the lifelines were grabbed onto while the thief was still in the water?
The very long-armed swimmer would I guess in that case get a shock (would require the fence energizing system to have ground side conducting to seawater).
Old 05-06-2013, 09:24   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
The very long-armed swimmer would I guess in that case get a shock (would require the fence energizing system to have ground side conducting to seawater).
I thought as much, I guess there are long lifelines to be found.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:53   #120
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

I'll tell you what: you go ahead and man trap your boat with all those electric toy ideas of yours, then when those pissed off'd victims torch your boat or punch out the seacocks with you tied up inside, you have someone come back here cryin' about it so we can go ahead and second guess you while drinking a pint of Punchers.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote