All I wanted to do was get my bow nav lights to work
My first time at bat on it was when it was on the hard
this past winter
, but my ladder wasn't long enough and hanging over the edge was just too much when looking down at the ground I would land on.
Next atempt was in the water
trying to hang off the bow working around the genny/forestay. Couldn't really get to the lens cover.
Third was in the dingy doing a limbo as it moved around with me avoiding the anchor
lines, but on this one I found that it was a corrosion
problem inside the cover for the connection. Cleaned it and it worked afterwards. But 2 weeks later it stopped again. So since it was 22 years old and the lens was pretty clouded up I decide to replace the whole thing.
Fourth attempt was both hanging off the bow and working from the dingy to replace it. Turned out you just can not drill new holes though the bow bracket this way with a battery
powered drill. And the hot wire was looking kind of short. So I stuck out again.
Fifth attempt today; after making a bracket to mount to the old hole in the bow bracket for mounting the new light and splicing the wire I decided to check the voltage before doing the final connections to the light. Only to have the breaker trip. After battling this a while I decided that the old hot wire must have rubbed though it's insulation
and it grounding. This wire of course runs though the bow purpit and the only way I'm going to be able to replace the wire is to put the purpit off.
So now my story is going to be ..................... I didn't want to replace or fix the bow nav light, I just figured that since I was rebedding the bow purpit that I would take the opportunnity to replace the wiring
and the light for the bow nav light.