Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2009, 03:06   #1
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Electrical knowledge

Hi

(Nicolle here not Mark)

I got a soldering lesson from my Dad recently and I would like to keep practicing so that I can use my new skill on the boat to repair wiring etc.

I also was hoping to find some ideas on how I could increase my skills and knowledge in electronics for the boat.

I am a girl so this is all new to me. I usually make cookies not play with bits if wire and solders.

What would be a good way to gain some more knowledge? Is there a really good book that explains and teaches you the basics of electronics (and how to repair wiring etc)?

We thought about getting me a basic electronics kit and making a project to learn more.

Does anyone have any good suggestions?

I want to be able to repair wiring like I did with my dad, it was fun and I really enjoy fine, intricate work. I enjoy learning about boat stuff and getting more and more practical skills!

Thanks and have a great day!

Smiles

NICOLLE

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 03:31   #2

Boat: Hylas 47
My friend got the book, "Electronics for Dummies". It was actually pretty informative and interesting. Having said that, you run the risk of digging up old threads on soldering vs. crimping that could inflame tensions here!
john540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2009, 05:17   #3

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Radio Shack Stores can be found in various parts of the world. They have a variety of kits that will teach you soldering, component identification, and some electronic theory all in the instruction sets that come with the kits. Google for electronic kits, and have fun. The subject I teach in a Middle East College has Soldering as a component. I use these kits, and the students love them. By the time they are finished they have a working Digital Multimeter. About 15 hours of class time.
Old 17-02-2009, 07:19   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Study the electrical sections of "Boatowner's Electrical and Mechanical Handbook" by Nigel Calder. Also the "12 Volt Doctor's Practical Handbook". These might be 2nd term...<gr>

There is another book (not electrical) that you might be interested in called "It's your boat too", by Suzanne Giesemann.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 12:51   #5
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Thanks for those tips I will try a kit and maye look at those books too.

Have a great day!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 13:00   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I found The 12 Volt Bible very helpful to understanding and trouble shooting the basics of a boat's 12-volt system. It's easy to understand and affordable.

The author is Brotherton
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 14:19   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Personally, as an old (OLD) electronics tech. I would suggest that you not bother with the kit. Instead, take the money you would spend on the kit and purchase a few electrical supplies and a good crimping tool. Get one of the ratcheting type of crimpers (such as from ANCOR) and make sure the electrical supplies are marine rated. My personal opinion (and I recognize there are other religions pertaining to this matter) is that electrical connections on a boat should not be soldered, they should be crimped. I'm pretty sure that most, if not all, boat builders crimp rather than solder all electrical connections (with the possible exception of battery cables). A soldered joint must be crimped anyway according to ABYC. Soldering a connector to the wire leaves a hard brittle spot that is easily fractured. I have been there and done that and I wont make that mistake again.

Actually ABYC states (and I paraphrase) that no electrical connection can rely solely on solder for it's mechanical strength.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 14:32   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Hello Nicole

Electrical work is also about getting *to* the work.

Do you guys have a good crimp tool and some butt-end connectors? Find an innocent 12V reading light. Cut the power to the light and dissaemble the mount from the bulkhead. Look at the wires to make sure there is enough there to play with. Mark will know what I mean by the that. Anyways, cut the wires and remove the butt connectors. Then, using the right opening on the crimp tool, strip the four wires (that is always excellent practice!), and then using your new butt connectors (Anchor, heat sealed type), reconnect the wires. Depending on the type of connectors, you might crimp and heat or just crimp.

My point is that if you want to learn some wiring, start by undoing and redoing some existing wiring. I am suggesting a light cause it is cool to see it work again after you cut the wires.

Michael
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 14:36   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
If guys have a mailing address, I would be happy to send you a little care packet of connectors! I have much left over from my own rewiring project.

Deepfrz is so right: Learn the right way to crimp. It is not about soldering -- it is about crimping.
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 19:58   #10

Hi
Dick Smith and Jaycar supply fun kits they are interesting and amusing they supply simple books for the beginner. You could also make a LED 12 v Bargraph for your Dad. I am about to descibe it's us in the thread RR370FRD 12/24V battery management system. Who knows at the end you may able to make the complete system for your boat. Have fun
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 23:15   #11

Smile Thank you SO much!

Hi Nicolle here!

YAY! I finally am able to login again under my account. (so now Mark is really Mark....lol...)

Thank you so much for all you lovely people who took the time to offer me your suggestions and advice.

I really appreciate you!

I will follow up on those kits and book suggestions, thank you!

A special thank you to MV for your kind offer of the connectors, that is very sweet of you! I would love that!

Thanks again everyone, you are all so kind, lovely and helpful! I hope you have a wonderful and happy cruising day! You have all made my day with your advice!

Smiles

Nicolle
Old 05-03-2009, 00:46   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Learn both, how to crimp & how to solder, both are art forms and a good cruiser should be able to do both (IMO)>
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 00:48   #13

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser
wiring

What a pity you rushed past Redcliffe!! I have a whole boat you could have practiced on!! Major rewiring is going on here!! There are reasons to solder & reasons to crimp. Each has its own application & both require good trade practices. But soldering old boat wires is quite a skill & trying on some old wires is a good step. lesson 1 is in the post!!

Regards

Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2009, 01:41   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Never mind on missing Billk's opportunity, you can practice as much as you like on my rewire when you get around to Perth
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote