Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2021, 09:53   #1
cw8

Electrical component mounting panel material

I'm coming from the van/RV world and, in that community, there seem to be a lot of different approaches and opinions on what to mount electrical equipment (inverters, chargers, MPPT, bus bars, etc) onto...

Some use wood because it is cheap and convenient. Some use metal, such as aluminum plate, because it is non-combustible, and grounded. While others use something non-combustible and non-conductive, like cement board (Hardiplank), Tufnol, or Bakelite.

I tried googling whether ABYC covers this and struck out, probably because I did not know the right search terms.

So, is there consensus in the boating world on this topic? Can anyone point me to something official?

Thanks!
cw8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 10:49   #2

Re: Electrical component mounting panel material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw8 View Post
I'm coming from the van/RV world and, in that community, there seem to be a lot of different approaches and opinions on what to mount electrical equipment (inverters, chargers, MPPT, bus bars, etc) onto...

So, is there consensus in the boating world on this topic?
I believe the ABYC just mentions mounting such stuff securely, and to follow manufacturer's recommendations for location, ventilation, protection, access. And of course proper fusing.

I see a lot of stuff screwed to wood bulkheads or partitions without issues. If a piece of marine gear needs grounding, they put a grounding terminal on it and call it out in their installation instructions.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 11:15   #3

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

Quote:
So, is there consensus in the boating world on this topic?
Not with this crowd.

For 12 Volts I use wood for mounting terminal strips, homemade Starboard, and G10 for direct contact connections usually fastened to wood. For 120 VAC I am a little more careful and only use manufactured insulated terminal connections usually mounted on wood. Also try to provide a mechanical barrier on 120 V if practical.

Frankly
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 11:35   #4

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
...Some use metal, such as aluminum plate, because it is non-combustible, and grounded...
Never on a boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I believe the ABYC just mentions mounting such stuff securely, and to follow manufacturer's recommendations for location, ventilation, protection, access. And of course proper fusing.

I see a lot of stuff screwed to wood bulkheads or partitions without issues. If a piece of marine gear needs grounding, they put a grounding terminal on it and call it out in their installation instructions.
This^^^.

I also use phenolic when I need it, and in fact I just made a bus bar for my anchor windlass as shown below.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phen Bus.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	246182  
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 12:12   #5
cw8

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Never on a boat.
Why not? If the component cases are all grounded (I'm not saying they are, just hypothetical), why would the surface they are mounted to being grounded be a problem? What is the danger?

Thanks!
Old 30-09-2021, 12:16   #6

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40

Aluminum for electrical connections is NOT a good idea. It oxidizes readily, especially in a marine environment. Moreover, the oxide is an Insulator. In (older, 70's) home wiring, a special anti-corrosion paste is essential, but less effective in a salt-rich environment.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 12:36   #7
cw8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamhass View Post
Aluminum for electrical connections is NOT a good idea. It oxidizes readily, especially in a marine environment. Moreover, the oxide is an Insulator. In (older, 70's) home wiring, a special anti-corrosion paste is essential, but less effective in a salt-rich environment.
This is not about using aluminum as a 'connection'. I'm not talking about, for example, using this panel _as_ the ground for these components (any components that require a ground will be properly and correctly grounded by cable). I'm simply talking about mounting on the aluminum, which is conductive and grounded.

@SVTatie seemed to be objecting to aluminum _because_ it is grounded. I am trying to understand the reasoning/logic behind that objection.
Old 30-09-2021, 12:44   #8
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

The material for this is called GPO-3. It is a red colored fiberglass specially formulated for use in electrical applications.

Here I use it for the top lid of my lithium battery
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	82B74AAA-3847-496E-B1A0-90FCD186867E.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	246192  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:01   #9

It depends... (It ALWAYS depends!)

There is no good reason to install a metal plate specifically to attach electrical components to. If a component requires grounding, it would be better practice to ground the case using a purpose made ground wire (which, of course you would need to attached to the metal plate anyway, so whats the benefit?) Grounding the case through the mounting hardware is not 100% reliable because the case is usually painted.

On a metal boat I would not want my grounding system connected to the hull to avoid corrosion causing current leaks, so I would deliberately isolate the case ground from the hull, using whatever material made sense. Wood in a dry place, g10, or fiberglass in damp environments.

As for bus bars and such, I have never seen one (other then some homemade kludges) that allowed any contact between the mounting hardware and the circuits being distributed. I certainly wouldn't buy or install one that did. In which case, the material of construction of the mounting plate is irrelevant, assuming it was suitable mechanically.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2021, 13:02   #10

Quote:
This is not about using aluminum as a 'connection'. I'm not talking about, for example, using this panel _as_ the ground for these components (any components that require a ground will be properly and correctly grounded by cable). I'm simply talking about mounting on the aluminum, which is conductive and grounded.

@SVTatie seemed to be objecting to aluminum _because_ it is grounded. I am trying to understand the reasoning/logic behind that objection.

Well, the point is... why the aluminum backing? The equipment doesn't require it, it's extra expense and effort, and it's a big surface that a loose wire, or sloppy tool handling could short against. Seems like extra hassle with no benefits.
Old 30-09-2021, 13:09   #11

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

@ Jedi - nice looking panel!

Given a choice I'd take fiberglass over wood or phenolic in a humid environment.
Old 30-09-2021, 13:12   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

GPO-3 is also commonly designated UPGM203
Old 30-09-2021, 13:19   #13
cw8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
Well, the point is... why the aluminum backing? The equipment doesn't require it, it's extra expense and effort, and it's a big surface that a loose wire, or sloppy tool handling could short against. Seems like extra hassle with no benefits.
Fair question.
* You need to to use something, whether wood, metal, or plastic/etc.
* A number of folks are using old metal signs, so free or cheap.
* Aluminum, particularly if bolted to the frame of the van, would help disperse heat.
* The loose wire theory is interesting, and gets to the heart of my query. One school of thought is that you want that loose wire to contact ground, and blow a fuse. Fail hard and fast. As opposed to floating around longer and potentially touching something more dangerous and/or expensive. THIS is the question I am interested in hearing more opinions/facts/advise on. Is mounting to a grounded panel good, bad, or indifferent?

Thanks!
Old 30-09-2021, 13:38   #14

Quote:
Fair question.
* You need to to use something, whether wood, metal, or plastic/etc.
* A number of folks are using old metal signs, so free or cheap.
* Aluminum, particularly if bolted to the frame of the van, would help disperse heat.
* The loose wire theory is interesting, and gets to the heart of my query. One school of thought is that you want that loose wire to contact ground, and blow a fuse. Fail hard and fast. As opposed to floating around longer and potentially touching something more dangerous and/or expensive. THIS is the question I am interested in hearing more opinions/facts/advise on. Is mounting to a grounded panel good, bad, or indifferent?

Thanks!

If a person knows what they are doing, it's indifferent. If they don't, there's a number of problems that can occur if grounding is done improperly.

No marine electrical device that I know of requires external heat-sinking, just decent ventilation.

The majority of DC electrical devices have protected (covered) +12v inputs, and any metal cases are already grounded, so there's no real added protection from mounting to a metal plate.

On an RV with its metal chassis and weight sensitivity, a metal plate is light and inexpensive. Watch out for wierd corrosion with dissimilar materials (eg aluminum bolted to steel).

On a boat... (usually fiberglass)... no point to it, really.
Old 01-10-2021, 09:30   #15

Boat: Luders 33 - hull 23

Quote:
Why not? If the component cases are all grounded (I'm not saying they are, just hypothetical), why would the surface they are mounted to being grounded be a problem? What is the danger?

Thanks!
I assume you have the answers about the dangres/best practises above.
Just to close it, my issue was not with the aluminum, electrical panels are usually made of it, it is the way ground is made.
Maybe they exist, but I have not seen any marine electric/electronic component that has the case grounded, they all have the connection points (they are all plastic anyway).
SVTatia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, electric, electrical