Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2016, 00:00   #1

Electric wiring updating on a 1969 Viking aft cabin.

Hi All! My hubby and I just bought a 1969 Viking motor yacht that is 44' long. We are going to live aboard, and I was just curious about doing some re-wiring. Everything works fine. I guess I'm just paranoid. Has anyone ever had a similar vessel re-wired, and what round-about range should we expect in cost (assuming we're just having to run new wires, and nothing more)? I know it's hard to get a definite, but any advice would be HUGELY appreciated. We're newbie live a boards, and biggest boat we've owned was a 29' century 2002 (I think that was the year). Thanks a bunch!
GulfGal73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 12:27   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch
Re: Electric wiring updating on a 1969 Viking aft cabin.

Not cheap, for a full rewrite to code you are looking at 20-40k us$
Are you sure all the wiring needs to replaced and not just battery cabling and panels?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 12:47   #3

If by cost you mean having it done... expensive! Inspect the condition of the wire ends well. They are usually the issue if any. If they are not corroded, and better yet if the ends are sealed with shrink tubing or etc, you are a lot better off. Open and look in the back of the electrical switch panel for indications.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2016, 16:29   #4

Will find out with survey. Everything worked fine, and I'm sure it's just my paranoia of just having purchased our first live aboard vessel. I'll definitely start contacting people, just in case. Thank you!
Old 25-04-2016, 09:32   #5

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I wouldn't be paranoid. I would check the terminal ends. The only thing I might get paranoid about is instrumentation and engine start and stop is applicable. If a light doesn't come on worry about it then.

I fear given the year mfg. and having the work done, to totally rewire, you will need to invest more than your initial investment.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:34   #6

Never was it truer that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it!".

When things begin to misbehave, fix 'em DIY. It really isn't very hard to work on 12V (or other low voltage) systems. No risk personal risks involved either. Spend fifty bux on supplies to play with and learn from. On the workbench or on the kitchen table use the stuff to set up a dummy circuit on a bit of plywood. You'll be amazed at how easy the work really is.

On the high ampage stuff like battery cables you will find that many, many places where you buy this stuff will be very glad to put the end fittings on for you with their crimper. You can buy your own machine to do it, but for the twice in a lifetime you are likely to need it, it just isn't worth buying such a machine even if the parts supplier where you get the wire etc might charge you a buck a crimp.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2016, 09:46   #7

Awesome, thank you! I appreciate the tips.
Old 25-04-2016, 09:47   #8

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by GulfGal73 View Post
Hi All! My hubby and I just bought a 1969 Viking motor yacht that is 44' long. We are going to live aboard, and I was just curious about doing some re-wiring. Everything works fine. I guess I'm just paranoid. Has anyone ever had a similar vessel re-wired, and what round-about range should we expect in cost (assuming we're just having to run new wires, and nothing more)? I know it's hard to get a definite, but any advice would be HUGELY appreciated. We're newbie live a boards, and biggest boat we've owned was a 29' century 2002 (I think that was the year). Thanks a bunch!
If you are concerned with the wiring, have an ABYC certified marine electrician inspect it and report on the condition. Wire does not wear out but sometimes connections can deteriorate or become loose and sometimes, a previous owner may have done some questionable modifications or repairs.

Don't let anyone on the Internet fool you into believing you can become a marine electrician by reading a book or experimenting on a bench. These guys spent years in school and as apprentices before they became certified.
Old 25-04-2016, 14:26   #9

Boat: Newport 30 MK 2 - 30'

I'm restoring a Newport 30 1976 and have completed the waste and fresh water systems, bilge pump, cushions in and out, new sails and covers, new dodger and bimini. I am working on the wiring systems that had Green, and White Shore wires used for both 12 and 120 volt. I started with the 120 volt system since we were going to live aboard. It is important, I’m told, to have Marine wire because the strands are finer and the wire is tinned to prevent corrosion. I’m going to put in two new breaker panels allowing 12 different circuits and will use black and red for all the 12 volt system.
I’ve discovered that Doing It Yourself will ensure you can track down a problem, when something does go bad, and there are a lot of help around the dock of knowledgably sailors who are glad to guide. My wife has been a great help, since I can’t be at both ends of the wire, when doing checks or checking switches. Have fun and do it together.
wostenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 01:30   #10

Boat: Moody 37

12V systems are NOT without risk.
Short circuits can cause fires, sparks can cause fires, mis-wired connections can ruin instruments, and battery ampages can be huge! oh, and add a bit of salt water corrosion for good measure
That said, and with a bit of common sense, it can be very satisfying to do it yourself.
My only advice would be to stick all the wires in trunking/conduit if it isn't already
davewtsnape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 05:20   #11

You're correct. We are definitely not going to be playing with electrical systems. Any major repairs will be completed by a technician.

Tags
cabin, electric, wiring