Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2008, 04:42   #1

Boat: Sunkyong Marine Ltd. 37' Sedan Trawler - Savannah
Electric Stove/Oven Wiring

I'm currently trying to straighten out several poor wiring projects on my boat. The PO converted from a propane stove and oven to an electric 2 burner stove with oven. The wiring is less than stellar and includes twisted strands with electrical tape for some connections. It is wired through a light switch next to the oven door. With the switch in one position, you can use the oven. With the switch in the other, you can use the stove. You can't use both at the same time. Here's the question: Is this normal practice? If not, can't I just wire both legs of the stove/oven to the power feed that comes off the breaker panel? It has sufficient wiring coming up to the galley to carry the current. It appears to be good 8 or 10 ga. How much does a typical stove/oven draw when all is on or even just partially on? It gets old having to coordinate cooking or use the grill for certain cooking duties.
Thanks,
Garrett
GDFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 05:22   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Typical wattages for RV stove-top elements vary between 1000W (8.3A) to 1300W 10.8A) (up to 2100 W on “large” stoves), and ovens typically vary between 1200 (10A) to 1500 (12.5A) watts.
(check you appliance for actual ratings)

Your likely constraints will be the typical 30A 120V service size (good for about 3100W total), and branch breaker size.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 05:40   #3

So I guess the switch was his way of limiting the possible loads at one time. I'd much rather think for myself and know that I can only use one eye and the oven or two eyes at a time than have a switch limit my choices. I may move that circuit over to my other 30 amp 120v service since I recently went from two ancient AC units to 1 so I only have about 13 amps on my second 30 amp feed. Is that smart?
Old 27-06-2008, 05:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes, he was “assuring” his load management.
Yes, I’d wire my heaviest load (Stove/Oven) to my most lightly loaded service.

Old 27-06-2008, 06:34   #5

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Actually the switch , if it is on a Princess Stove is factory installed. The problem may be the distribution hook up in the stove itself. I have one and that's the way they are built. It may also be that the manufacture knows that a 50 amp sevice on a boat is usually max. Calculating your service load may present a problem without the either/or setup. By having both available could bump the service up to a 60 amp or 100 amp service. Docks don't support it unless you are in a commercial environment. You wouldn't even want to know what that kind of cord would cost.
Old 27-06-2008, 07:12   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

"Princess" Ranges:
Electric Ranges

Old 27-06-2008, 07:15   #7

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer
Ya gord that's the ones
Old 27-06-2008, 09:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
"Princess" Ranges:
Electric Ranges
That could be the company. I have yet to find a label or marking of any kind on my old POS. I really wish the PO had kept the propane. There's a bottle holder up in the flybridge and an electric control right next to the stove. I hate electric. It really doesn't make sense that all of this is supposed to run on a 5kw generator. No way.

Tags
oven