Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2012, 08:34   #106

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: Electric fence for boat

Question: How many solar panels do I need to fry a giant squid?

Answer: All of them.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:39   #107
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
... BTW Remember the old 20,000 Leagues movie. They had an electrified deck. Can't find the vid. Anybody?
From 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, by Jules Verne:
Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne - Project Gutenberg

"... M. Aronnax," quietly answered Captain Nemo, "they will not enter the hatches of the Nautilus in that way, even if they were open."

I looked at the Captain.

"You do not understand?" said he.

"Hardly."

"Well, come and you will see."

I directed my steps towards the central staircase. There Ned Land and Conseil were slyly watching some of the ship's crew, who were opening the hatches, while cries of rage and fearful vociferations resounded outside.

The port lids were pulled down outside. Twenty horrible faces appeared. But the first native who placed his hand on the stair-rail, struck from behind by some invisible force, I know not what, fled, uttering the most fearful cries and making the wildest contortions.

Ten of his companions followed him. They met with the same fate.

Conseil was in ecstasy. Ned Land, carried away by his violent instincts, rushed on to the staircase. But the moment he seized the rail with both hands, he, in his turn, was overthrown.

"I am struck by a thunderbolt," cried he, with an oath.

This explained all. It was no rail; but a metallic cable charged with electricity from the deck communicating with the platform. Whoever touched it felt a powerful shock - and this shock would have been mortal if Captain Nemo had discharged into the conductor the whole force of the current. It might truly be said that between his assailants and himself he had stretched a network of electricity which none could pass with impunity ...”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:43   #108

Boat: private yacht always moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
These threads always suggest to me that I shouldn't be worried about the locals, I should be worried about the cruisers! The cruisers as a percentage sound a LOT more dangerous!

Don,,,,,,,,,I think you might be right,,,,eight pages of What?????
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 14:48   #109
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

opps there
Old 12-04-2012, 14:49   #110
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Cruisers arriving in peace and goodwill in a little foreign land......

Old 12-04-2012, 15:14   #111

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
I can just see the boat with electric fence lifelines, all covered with signs in the dozens of langauges that would be necessary for a cruising boat. How friendly, respectful and inviting! You'd be the most popular boat in the anchorage! No one would think you're nuts at all! Except, like, everyone everywhere. I think it would be rude to show up in someone else's country with your fortress of fear. If you're that worried about it just don't go.
Guess most posters have not experienced agricultural electric fencing and feel their life would be threatened by such. Effect is a sharp shock hopefully startling the uninvited intruder enough to causing a rethink regarding the intrusion. Hardly a fortress of fear.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 15:21   #112
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by downunder View Post
Guess most posters have not experienced agricultural electric fencing and feel their life would be threatened by such. Effect is a sharp shock hopefully startling the uninvited intruder enough to causing a rethink regarding the intrusion. Hardly a fortress of fear.

I've had loads of experience with same, enough to have seen two barn fires in my life that were started by the electric fencing around them. Nobody thinks the shock itself is life threatening, just that it's unwise to shock someone who is potentially in the middle of a boarding attempt, and who may fall in as a result of said unexpected shock. It's just dangerous and you could easily be held liable. What happens when the local gendarmes or Navy try to suddenly board your boat for a search and they get shocked? They won't be happy. And all the necessary wiring and signage to prevent accidents would indeed make you look like the fortress of fear, IMHO. More passive measures are safer.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2012, 14:00   #113

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

The OP didn't ask if it was ethical, moral, or in his best perceived interest to do this, only if it was technically feasable, the short answer is yes.

The BEST way to be safe while traveling is to buy a 200ft mega yacht, and hire a few armed security guys to patrol the decks at night.

For the rest of us, we either take our chances, like boating without insurance, because accidents always happen to other people, right?

Or we make do with the resources at our disposal. 1. Don't have anything to steal. 2. Make it as difficult to steal as possible. 3. Try to keep a low profile so you don't make anyone mad enough to want to hurt you.

The charter group that was murdered in Belize was most likely anchored in someones "drop zone". The thing is, how do you know if you're in someones way? Random violence is, well, random.

We ground our boats to protect from lightening, but are more likely to be attacked by humans than the sky.

Doesn't it make sense to at least have some precaution to one of the few threats we actually can control?
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 05:51   #114

Boat: sloop 8.68m

i had a 12volt electric fence on my boat and it worked a treat..I made it NOT for personnel defence but as anti bird **** device...
My boat swings on a mooring so the bow is always to wind, the birds(shags) love to sit with the wind in there face and **** there little hearts out!!
So along came these two beautiful perches,one forward,one aft...(this was war!)
12volt city farmers capacitor electric fence, two thin 3 strand ropes with s/s wire intwined(they sell it at city farmers), one positve,one negative running side by side in plastic coated hoops..
hehehe so when the little buggers come down to roost with there lovely wet flippers they only have to wait 2-3 seconds before the capacitor chargers and "BOOM"..
The death roll....hehehe they don't die but i tell you your boat will be black banded..After a week or so you can turn it off....if the shits return...turn it "ON"..
BOOM!!! fixed..
insalt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 06:20   #115

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

This posting reminded me of the Good Samaritan who boarded a boat that had drug and was about to go on the rocks. Probably teach him to not be such a good one.

Bill
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:08   #116

Boat: Custom Freya 20m
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl
The OP didn't ask if it was ethical, moral, or in his best perceived interest to do this, only if it was technically feasable, the short answer is yes.

The BEST way to be safe while traveling is to buy a 200ft mega yacht, and hire a few armed security guys to patrol the decks at night.

For the rest of us, we either take our chances, like boating without insurance, because accidents always happen to other people, right?

Or we make do with the resources at our disposal. 1. Don't have anything to steal. 2. Make it as difficult to steal as possible. 3. Try to keep a low profile so you don't make anyone mad enough to want to hurt you.

The charter group that was murdered in Belize was most likely anchored in someones "drop zone". The thing is, how do you know if you're in someones way? Random violence is, well, random.

We ground our boats to protect from lightening, but are more likely to be attacked by humans than the sky.

Doesn't it make sense to at least have some precaution to one of the few threats we actually can control?
Thanks for that reasoned assessment. The "fortress of fear" i consider so vastly overstated as not worth commenting. I think there may be a small role for a fence - either when sleeping or when the boat is unattended. Like most things we do on the water, needs some restraint and thought. I do like the seagull repellent notion and could maybe implement this with slight variation of machinery/wiring.

Overall, it sounds like electrified lifelines could be easily done and useful on occasion.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:23   #117

Boat: gulfstar sloop 44ft
I agree it does sound lik some options. Good luck with that please let us know how it works. Its not that we look to go hang out in those bad zones but even just in passing thru to those sweet places,its always good to get a great nights sleep.
No bird droppings lmao I remember as kid watching bird grab a electricfence on the farm. Along with local kid who was willing to be our guiney pig to do with fence. I swear we never thought he would p** on it. He did live by the way. Lol[sorry billy]
ulpilot45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:39   #118

So basically turn our boats into a giant bug zapper. I vote for it just to see the kewl show when an impromtu squall passes by!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2012, 19:46   #119

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
So basically turn our boats into a giant bug zapper. I vote for it just to see the kewl show when an impromtu squall passes by!
I expect if one had it set up it would only be turned on if one felt threatened by persons or situation.

Agricultural electric fences are nothing like a bug zapper.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2012, 06:12   #120

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
first time some innocent boat boy or local looking to sell you something comes along side in the early morning while you are asleep, .
If some boat boy comes on board my boat to sell me a coconut at 3am, I'm going to make real sure he never does THAT again. His biggest worry will not be the electric fence, more like how is he going to remove that coconut.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric