Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2017, 05:03   #1

East Penn EGC2 Charging Voltages & Temp Comp?

Does anyone know the charging voltages and temperature compensation for East Penn (Deka) EGC2 golf cart batteries?

I have a 12 volt bank of two EGC2 batteries for 230 AH and I am currently using the following charger settings:

14.5 volts Absorption
13.5 volts Float
15.7 volts Equalize

5mv/cell/°C from 25°C temperature compensation

Thanks,
Hilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 05:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: East Penn EGC2 Charging Voltages & Temp Comp?

Not specifically what you asked, but read post #10, I think that tells you what you need.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...cs-163920.html
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2017, 08:09   #3

Thanks, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2092450 was what I was searching for.

From my understanding of Maine Sail's explanation, I'll adjust the settings for dock side charging (rarely cycled) to:

14.4 volts Absorption
13.4 volts Float
15.3 volts Equalize

3mv/cell/°C from 25°C temperature compensation
Old 14-03-2017, 08:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbert View Post
Thanks, http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ml#post2092450 was what I was searching for.

From my understanding of Maine Sail's explanation, I'll adjust the settings for dock side charging (rarely cycled) to:

14.4 volts Absorption
13.4 volts Float
15.3 volts Equalize

3mv/cell/°C from 25°C temperature compensation
I would still keep absorption at 14.6V min to 14.7V but float at 13.4V to 13.6V will be fine.

Turn off auto EQ! Only EQ manually...

If you are at the dock mostly then it will be in float most of the time unless you trigger a re-bulk event.
Old 14-03-2017, 08:36   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail
I would still keep absorption at 14.6V min to 14.7V but float at 13.4V to 13.6V will be fine.

Turn off auto EQ! Only EQ manually...

If you are at the dock mostly then it will be in float most of the time unless you trigger a re-bulk event.
This is a solar application with a Rogue MPT-3048 controller. Will it not re-bulk every day when the sun comes up? If so, would you still recommend the same range of 14.6V to 14.7V for absorption?

By the way, you saved me from purchasing a BZ controller. I dodged a bullet there. I couldn't be more pleased than I am with the Rogue controller. Thank you!
Old 14-03-2017, 09:35   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilbert View Post
This is a solar application with a Rogue MPT-3048 controller. Will it not re-bulk every day when the sun comes up? If so, would you still recommend the same range of 14.6V to 14.7V for absorption?

By the way, you saved me from purchasing a BZ controller. I dodged a bullet there. I couldn't be more pleased than I am with the Rogue controller. Thank you!
Seeing as Rogue closed the doors, and I did not think to keep a .pdf of the manual, you'd need to go into your manual and figure out what triggers a re-bulk or re-absorb. Do not lose your manual!! If I recall this voltage trigger can be changed and adjusted too. It was not just a cheap controller that just woke every day to a new absorption cycle.
Old 14-03-2017, 10:36   #7

Please let me know if you would like me to email to you a .pdf manual for your records.

The default settings do in effect wake every day to a new absorption cycle. The absorption stage can be terminated by time, current or just disabled. I am trying my best to understand how to make use of all the configuration options for the way that I am using these batteries. I currently have it configured to end when the current falls to 1% of the battery capacity (2.3 amps) or after 30 minutes have elapsed. If disabled, the controller will transition immediately to full upon reaching the absorb setpoint voltage. It will remain in full until the battery voltage drops to the Float setpoint and start to draw current.

Should I disable the absorption mode when I am not cycling the batteries? By disabling the absorption mode and setting the absorb setpoint to the float setpoint, I could have it go straight from MPPT to float. With all the available settings there are many options.

Thanks again for your help.
Old 16-03-2017, 12:13   #8

Boat: Sabre 38

I have 6 Duracell/East Penn's. They are loving 14.7 volts for absorption, dropping to 13.8 volts for float.

With my solar pumping 25 amps, which is slightly less than 4% of rated capacity, 14.7 volts isn't hit until about 99.5% SOC. Pretty nifty.

I like how you have absorption till the current falls to 1% of capacity, with a 30 minute minimum. If the batteries aren't being used, the absorption voltage, followed by the 1% tail will be hit quickly, both within an hour I'd bet. Remember that even unused flooded lead acid batteries discharge a little overnight, so I proper full charge would be healthy for them. At the least, it isn't harmful, assuming you are checking the water levels monthly...

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging