Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2018, 09:18   #16

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch
Re: Earth Leakage Protection/ Residual Current Device.

This is what happens when legislators with no technical expertise pass laws regarding technical things. Like not allowing 120v and 240v power in the same conduit, even though both phases of the 120v (which is where the 240v comes from) are .
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 01:07   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Earth Leakage Protection/ Residual Current Device.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Thank you Capt Pat and others who took the time to respond to my query regarding ELP/RCD.

After reading your post Capt Pat I think I've almost got it but as it is late at night I'll go over it again in the morning. Maybe if I can follow that it will also explain why I need to bond "earth?" all my skin fittings?

Clive
You don't need to bond all your skin fittings unless you have a traditional wooden hull (carvel etc). Traditional wooden vessels with bronze underwater fittings require the fittings bonded to protect the timber from galvanic current - it destroys the cellar structure of the timber near the skin fitting if not bonded. In essence, the bonding allows the current to flow though the bonding wire instead of the timber.

Of course a fibreglass hull is essentially an insulator so with a fibreglass hull, you can elect to bond skin fitting and it seems that in North America, it is considered essential. In the UK and Aus, it is not done as much. I don't know what is normal practice in Europe or Asia.

However I'm sure you will get other views...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
current, rot