Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2021, 18:18   #61

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: Dual alternators, one regulator?

Hi s/v Jedi.

What I'd really like to have is a large diameter flywheel mounted, high current, alternator/starter and do away with the hard to get at starter motor, add-on alternator and all those pesky belts.
Old 06-07-2021, 06:21   #62
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Hi s/v Jedi.

What I'd really like to have is a large diameter flywheel mounted, high current, alternator/starter and do away with the hard to get at starter motor, add-on alternator and all those pesky belts.
I know… I removed those two alternators and a belt driven crash pump and then got rid of that last V belt as well when ai installed the serpentine belt kit. It was all I could do cleaning up all the bolt-on stuff with what is available. I estimate I got rid of 100kg weight from the engine!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7A0B532E-9EA4-452E-A633-1CA9B28F683A.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	349.7 KB
ID:	241642  

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 18:34   #63
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Jay Kantola - Trimaran 65 ft by 40 ft beam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
Balmar apparently still makes an MC612H which is specifically designed to run 2 alternators on the same engine to a single battery bank.
Learn something every day. I didn't know about this regulator. My engine ran twin alternators.

Description
Regulator, Dual MC-612 Multi-Stage, 12v, w/Harnesses

For Use with Twin Alternator, Single Engine Applications

Part Number without Harnesses: MC-612-DUAL
pbmaise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 09:36   #64

Boat: Shannon 52 RDP

The short answer is yes. My boat came from the factory with a similar set up. The BalMar regulator I have is designed for one alternator, yet it controls two. It is connected in such a way that it sees both alternators as a single unit. Unfortunately, that is all the information I can give, as the setup makes no sense to me at all. I had to bring in help to sort it out last time I had a problem. I can tell you that BalMar does make regulators which are designed for use with two alternators. If your reworking the system, and not a knowledgeable as you might wish, that option might be a more straight forward way to go.
R Hutcheson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 12:22   #65

<<<< Originally Posted by Bycrick
Redundancy isn’t always better. Ask pilots about twin vs single engine planes. Adding more of something is inherently less reliable; there’s more to break and go wrong.>>>>>>

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC Reefer View Post
Good points BUT not sure the plane analogy is one I would have included. Being on a plane where ONE engine failed I was content with the other doing the job. [emoji6]

Well, it all depends. Redundancy has it's advantages, even with the inherently less reliable philosophy. With the airplane, one can look at the ENGINE OUT situation, where have two is significantly less than having one, even though the single is more reliable overall. So, the argument could be made with "how hard is it to control the plane on one engine".

I like my twin engine plane for the above reason. I like my twin engine boat for similar reasons, but maneuverability is on big reason, no so useful in a plane.

Another issue is "what's the consequences should one fail?" If you only have one engine, might ruin your day.

And, I could argue both sides of the twin vs single in both boats and planes.

For now, believe I'll get a single regulator for a twin alternator install.
Larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:41   #66

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngineerRetired View Post
twin engine / alternators, single regulator. $270 https://www.westmarine.com/buy/balma...ecs-_-DY-_-PDP
I believe the center fielder is not a regulator, but a regulator controller. You would still need two additional regulators.
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2021, 07:44   #67

Boat: Sabre 34-1 (sold) and Saga 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bycrick View Post
It makes no difference whatsoever how many charging sources one has connected to a single battery (bank). The battery itself, based on chemistry and state-of-charge, determines how much current it will accept at a certain voltage. If there are multiple chargers, they’ll share the current. Will they share it equally? No, but who cares?
This! So many people worry about the fact that one charger falls off first, but it doesn't matter. If you are holding the battery at 14.2 volts, or whatever appropriate voltage, you are doing all you can do!
sailingharry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, regulator