Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2021, 22:36   #1

Boat: Duncanson 29
dry battery

Hi folks

I have had some problems with my smart charger and house battery bank in the last few years. I have 2 105 ah deep cycle batteries connected as 12 volt, both the same model. This last year, it seems that when I connect to 240 volts (I am in Australia, that is normal shore power) one of my house batteries dries out. The other never does, even though they are connected. After topping up with distilled water, the hydrometer tells me the battery is OK, its in the green.

Some other things have happened this year : often, when I turn off the motor, the open circuit alarm does not activate as it should until I turn off the key. Also, my masthead anchor light sometimes shines very brightly, and at other times hardly at all, you would think it is not on.

Two years ago, I plugged in to shore power, the Enerdrive ePower charger told me the battery poles were reversed, even though my polarity sensor said all was good, in the green. I sent it off to the techs, they said there was nothing wrong but replaced the internals anyway.

I am planning to buy 2 new house batteries, even though one of these is still OK, but thought I would ask the Forum before I spend the bucks.

Any thoughts ?
Les Fairwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 22:50   #2

Boat: Najad 373
Re: dry battery

I am not familiar with the matter but a marina neighbour once told me that 3-phased power is sometimes divided incorrectly to individual sockets. This can harm the charger and/or the system behind it.
If changing batteries, definitely change them all at the same time and make sure cables from them to the panel/buss bar are of same length.
Quebramar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2021, 23:01   #3

Thanks for that, but the shore power is only 1-phase, 15 amps, not 3-phase, so should not be a problem. The Enerdrive charger in supposed to take the shore power and split it into 2 banks, one house battery and one starter battery bank.

One house battery is always good, the starter battery is always good, but one house battery keeps going dry
Old 14-09-2021, 02:25   #4

If one battery in parellel is losing water and not the other. The battery is bad.

Replace both.
smac999 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 02:39   #5

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
If one battery in parellel is losing water and not the other. The battery is bad.

Replace both.
And while your at it check every battery cable connection for cable and lug corrosion.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2021, 20:05   #6

OK, thanks, got 2 new batteries today, and will check and clean terminals when I install them

Tags
battery