Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-09-2009, 17:45   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Double Dipping

I am thinking of stealing power for my wash down pump from the windlass. The cables are already in place and there is a block where I could just add a fuse and a #10 wire then be able to run the wash down pump only when the fuse for the windlass was on and could not run them at the same time.
Pros
This will allow me to use a smaller run of wire. I can use #10 instead of #8.
I won't have to snake the wire thru the entire front end of the boat.
Cons
Can't use windlass and water pump at the same time.
have to turn on the breaker for the windlass to use the washdown pump.
In either case it will correct a wiring job that is not up to par.
Thoughts? Comments?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:55   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I'm not sure any windlass can use a wire that small. If it is, then I could pull it up by hand. A windlass can draw serious amps. You can burn the boat down to the waterline on too small wire. It's one of the few items on a boat that can do it easy.

How long is the wire from the battery to the windlass? I'm willing to bet no windlass on the planet can run on a #10 wire.

FWIW, I only use the wash down when I'm also running the windlass. It's a symbiosis thing. You wash as you bring in the chain. If it were not for the nasty mud on the chain I wouldn't bother with a wash down.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 17:56   #3

Sorry to be a thorn in your plan but won't you sometimes want to use the washdown pump at the same time as the windlass when you're weighing anchor and the chain/anchor pops up covered in s**t?
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 18:05   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I think what he wabts to do is tap off the heavy cable

raise the chain...stop wash....repeat.

should work
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 18:09   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
I think what he wabts to do is tap off the heavy cable.
A number #10 is not heavy cable. My head uses a #8 and it's 1/4 the length.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 18:10   #6

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Sounds like a good plan.

The large gauge wire to the windlass is not likely to notice a couple more amps drawn by the wash down pump. Probems running them together seems unlikely.

Pblais,
He is looking to tap power for the washdown from the windlass supply. Not the other way around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
I am thinking of stealing power for my wash down pump from the windlass. The cables are already in place and there is a block where I could just add a fuse and a #10 wire then be able to run the wash down pump only when the fuse for the windlass was on and could not run them at the same time.

Pros
This will allow me to use a smaller run of wire. I can use #10 instead of #8.
I won't have to snake the wire thru the entire front end of the boat.

Cons
Can't use windlass and water pump at the same time.
have to turn on the breaker for the windlass to use the wash down pump.
In either case it will correct a wiring job that is not up to par.
Thoughts? Comments?
If you take the windlass rating, (50a?) and add in the wash down pump (5a?) I think you will find that your adding 10% will be of little consequence. Having them on the same breaker would help you remember to turn off two things that you likely often use together.

Suounds like a good plan.
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 18:13   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
I think what he wabts to do is tap off the heavy cable

raise the chain...stop wash....repeat.

should work
In reading my post I can see it was ambiguous (sp?). there are heavy cables in place for the windlass. Don't know the exact size but maybe 0. There is a place where I can easily tap off those cables for the washdown pump. having never had a washdown pump I din't know that you used them att he same time. I thought you brought in chain washed it down then brought in more chain. I guess you could also run the pump the entire time the cahin is coming in. With a bucket I always have to stop the chain then use a bucket and a brush.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 07-09-2009, 18:16   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
I have an additional battery in the front of the boat right next to the chain locker. The wires from aft are used to charge the front battery through a 50 amp combiner off the main charging system.

With this system one can add any device to the forward battery by adding a multiple fuse block.
Old 07-09-2009, 18:24   #9

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
How much can a wash-down pump draw while running... 8 amps?

Heck fire the difference between pulling a set anchor up with a windless ( presuming you don't drive it out which is the correct way ) and pulling close to the max your windless is rated for ..say 1000 lbs, compared to it basically pulling up a dead weight no load freed anchor and rode I don't see what diffrance it makes..there is no way a wash down pumps additional draw is going to match the short intermittent draw of any windless requirement in that senario. I plan on wiring mine the way the OP asks about but I will have stout cable for my primary windless run to begin with. probably 000 or 0000 and the batteries will be in the bow as well so it will be a short run.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 18:24   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Del,
It ought to work fine. The worst that could happen is the windlass breaker might trip a little sooner if you were breaking out the hook in very deep water or against big wind, but it might trip under those conditions anyway.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 18:25   #11

I like that Idea Del but the system that I have is already in place and don't see any reason to change it now. My to do list is way too long to start changing things that work well for things that work better. LOL

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 07-09-2009, 19:02   #12
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
maybe not

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Del,
It ought to work fine. The worst that could happen is the windlass breaker might trip a little sooner if you were breaking out the hook in very deep water or against big wind, but it might trip under those conditions anyway.
No, the worst that could happen is that you would screw up the brushes on your windlass motor because they're not getting sufficient voltage while both systems are operating.

Many windlass installations are wired to the starter battery rather than the house bank, for reasons that should be obvious. I would not recommend teeing the washdown pump off such an installation.
Old 07-09-2009, 19:07   #13

Nope, the worst that could happen is that the wiring overheats and causes a fire that burns the boat to the waterline. It wouldn't be the first time...
ColdFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 19:38   #14
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
correct. either way...
Old 07-09-2009, 20:27   #15
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Who uses a windlass to break an anchor free?

I never have.....I use it to get the chain tight....period.

I then use the engine/wind/wave action to break it free.

You never try to "horse an anchor out with you back...do ya?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote