Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2020, 23:34   #1

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)
Does Voltage = Capacity?

I am looking to understand how close the correlation is between voltage of a Wet Cell battery is with capacity?

I have a battery monitor (Victron SmartShunt) with all loads and chargers running through the shunt. When discharging at night, the battery bank discharges to around 12.2 or 12.1 yet the SOC is >75%.

Any thoughts? Many thanks
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 23:47   #2

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Re: Does Voltage = Capacity?

Most charts that show voltage vs charge state are based on no load on the battery for some time period. Some people say as long as 12 hours previously. If there is load on the battery the voltage will be lower, dependent on how much load.
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 00:41   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Yep, voltage is a factor of state of charge and load on battery.

And voltage response to decreased load is not instantaneous, it can take hours for it to drift back to a figure that is actually indicative of SOC.
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 00:48   #4

I know this is a controversial subject but I do use this measure. One can be tricked by surface voltage: a current or recent load/charge will effect the surface voltage, which is the voltage being measured by our voltmeters but does not reflect the charge right through the plates of the battery. It is "wafer thin". But having said that! if you get to know your own batteries, voltage will tell you as much as any other measure (eg amp hours). If you leave a battery alone for long enough (no loads or charges, say for an hour or longer), it will tell you the charge in the batteries)
Of course re-reading this maybe the question is "does voltage = charge level"? Voltage has no relationship with capacity. A fully charged, old, worn out battery can show a high voltage but have not enough capacity to start a model aeroplane.
Warby12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:00   #5

Location: Live aboard in Simonstown (Cape Town) - now Grenada having crossed the Atlantic.
Boat: 1986 Bruce Roberts 45 raised saloon

https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/...tate_of_charge

The Victron BMV is a great piece of kit but it is not infallible. It will reliably count amps_in/amps_out and deliver its opinion of SOC based on the maths, but it can quite easily be fooled.

1. Obviously it needs to be given the correct parameters, you tell it the Ah capacity of your bank, if you made an error here then so will the BMV.

2. Batteries lose capacity with time/abuse. So while you may have installed 200Ah 2 years ago, it may have deteriorated and now be 100Ah (the BMV will still provide SOC based on the 200Ah parameter provided).

3. When solar charging the current going into the battery can vary greatly, the BMV may sense end of charge tail current and reset to 100%, when you actually are at 50%.
markcouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 01:03   #6

http://www.scubaengineer.com/documen...ing_graphs.pdf Check out this document
chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 09:26   #7

Boat: Bavaria 46 (2007)

The interesting thing I find is that according to the Victron my engine alternator can charge it to 100% SOC yet I can see from the solar it never went into float mode.

I guess it is just indicative.
lawrence_craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 14:22   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_craig View Post
I am looking to understand how close the correlation is between voltage of a Wet Cell battery is with capacity?

I have a battery monitor (Victron SmartShunt) with all loads and chargers running through the shunt. When discharging at night, the battery bank discharges to around 12.2 or 12.1 yet the SOC is >75%.

voltage = SOC. not capacity. 2 different things. you can have a fully charged battery at 12.8v but it's 15 years old and has no capacity left, and would drain very fast.

if your voltage is 12.1v with no load, and your SOC meter is reading 75%. either it's wired wrong, programed wrong (wrong ah)

or more likely the batteries are no longer at their full capacity. IE you have a 100ah bank. and you pull 25ah out of it. the meter will show 75%. but after many years that 100ah bank now only has the capacity of a 50ah bank. so you have really pulled 25ah out of a 50ah bank. the voltage will show 12.0, which is the voltage of a bank at 50%, But the meter will show 75%, in this case the meter needs to be reprogrammed for a 50ah bank instead of a 100ah bank. or in that case, the batteries need replacing.

doing a 20h discharge test annually will give you the current capacity and you can change the meter settings each year.

voltage doesn't lie (with no load)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 16:10   #9
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post
voltage = SOC. not capacity. 2 different things. you can have a fully charged battery at 12.8v but it's 15 years old and has no capacity left, and would drain very fast.............
This ^^^^^^
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 18:40   #10

Boat: Kelley-Peterson 46 cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawrence_craig View Post

Any discharge more than 50% will damage your batteries. So I would read 75% state of charge to mean I am at 50%. And a 50% SOC could be read as Zero in terms of what is available for anything but emergency use.
KP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 23:00   #11

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

Volts times amps times time under load without battery losing more than ten percent of its fully charged EMF (volts) is a good indication of capacity.

Capacity is the power the system can deliver at a nominal voltage under load, times the time for which it can safely deliver it--and at a standard of 12 volts, or whatever battery type you have, it is expressed in Ampere Hours.

So--if your battery can draw ten amps power for ten hours without depleting the battery volts under load below eleven and a half volts, that is about one hundred ampere hours-capacity.

Most battery makers, in my opinion, overstate the capacity of their batteries, some grossly so. There is ALWAYS some extra power remaining in a battery discharged to a safe level --but depleting the terminal voltage below eleven volts will reduce the life of the battery system.

I never let mine go below twelve if I can help it, but using a pulsed intermittent higher voltage charger, (I use 24 volts) I have managed to recharge batteries that were almost flat, to the extent they will after use accept a normal 14 volts or thereabouts charging emf, but if you do this to seriously discharged batteries, I would suggest you replace them as soon as you can.

The longer a battery remains discharged, the quicker it becomes sulphated to the extent if becomes at best unreliable, at worst ruined.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 00:54   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

For a capacity test first fully charge the battery. Use a load that is 5% of the stated capacity - eg 5 amps for a 100 AH battery. Time the battery until it reaches 10.5 volts. If it is full capacity it will take 20 hours. If it is at 70% capacity you will reach 10.5 volts in 14 hours.

Recharge to full immediately after.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2020, 13:39   #13

Watch this video and you will understand:

https://youtu.be/M5NuG_cIFA8
CountyChick is offline   Reply With Quote