Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2015, 09:37   #1

Boat: Leopard 40 (new model)
Does the stock alternator of new Volvo D2-40 have temperature sensing?

Hello everyone

We are ready to run a test to see if the stock alternator that comes with the Volvo D2.40 can run a big (watermaker, etc) AC load through the inverter for an hour or two hours.

I am concerned because I am told that the regulator does not have any sort of compensation for alternator temperature, and my experience with Yanmar/Hitachi combo makes me worry about the alternator burning if there is nothing that will make it cut back when it gets hot.

Does anyone know:

a) if the standard Volvo regulator has any sort of cutback to protect the alternator from burning?
b) if yes, what is the curve that it follows?
c) if no, is there any experience as to how many amps can you make it produce for an hour without it burning up?

I know Volvo knows, but they do not talk to me.

Thanks in advance!
svlamorocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 03:51   #2

Boat: Freydis 49
Re: Does the stock alternator of new Volvo D2-40 have temperature sensing?

How did your test go?
Old 28-09-2015, 09:44   #3

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I doubt very much that your alternator has temp control. Unless Volvo has recognized that to be a problem and snuck in on there. But probably not. The stock engine alternators are normally fine for keeping your start battery charged and may be keep some charge on a lightly used and/or very small house battery bank. And that is before you put any heavy, continuous load on them from a serious amp hog. You didn't say how many amps your watermaker will draw though so if it is low it won't matter.

But in any case, a temp sensor on your alternator is to give data to the alternator regulator so it can manage the output of the alternator, and not the alternator per se. You would need a smarter regulator than what comes with your Volvo, and one that supports alternator temp sensing.

If your loads are big, and/or your battery usage is big, then you will surely need a bigger HD alternator, one that is designed for heavy, continuous output. Volvo will not have put one of those on a stock engine. But exactly what size and mounting considerations, etc., are dependent on what you want to put on. But it will need an external regulator.

N.B. I just looked up the engine specs. Your motor comes with a 115A alternator which is a reasonable size for normal charging. It will be fine for "normal" usage with a moderate battery bank and moderate usage but it is not designed, necessarily, for recharging deep cycle batteries in the best way. You really need to get a smart regulator with a temp sensor and ability to manage the heat on the alternator for running the inverter. And it may save your alternator for just recharging your house bank as well.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 10:51   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Hard to say without knowing the specs. of the alternator and internal regulator but Volvo has really upgraded their "stock" alternator and kudos for them.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2015, 11:47   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It's not too difficult to externally regulate a stock alternator is it? This can easily also add temp compensation for battery charging as well as temp protection for the alternator?

$200 or so?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
alternator, volvo