Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2018, 18:53   #31

Boat: 37 Uniflite Coastal Cruiser
Re: Do you really need a $400 charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjim View Post
I've been looking at setting up a charging system for shore power. There are lots of systems out there at all different price points. I've got two banks of 2 100 ah batteries.

Do you really need a $400 charger? There are so many chargers that are available for less than that.
Quote:
Is it really worth $100 for 4 more amps?
Okay, you are looking for a bargain. We get that. So get a well made unit with 3 stage capability that handles your application. I think ProMariner is a good line of chargers and I have had good results with the ProSport series. So you need a 20A charger that will handle 2 banks. Here is one from ProMariner - 3 state charging, waterproof, solid state controls. Under $200.

https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Promari...p/prm43020.htm
Dooglas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2018, 21:53   #32
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Is each bank 200AH, total 400AH?

20A would be anemic even for FLA, may need 12+ hours to get to Full.

And no way would that be healthy for a quality AGM bank.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 06:28   #33
Zil

Back to the beginning, If I had to chose between those two chargers I would get the ProMariner. I like ProNauticP series. Just don't look for a bargain at West Marine.
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2018, 06:40   #34

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zil View Post
Back to the beginning, If I had to chose between those two chargers I would get the ProMariner. I like ProNauticP series. Just don't look for a bargain at West Marine.
There are better prices out there; search is your friend. WM will price match, though...

-Chris
Old 30-09-2018, 07:56   #35
cruiser

Or don't worry about price, and order through Maine Sail, in support of his incredible work for the community.

Or just donate https://marinehowto.com/support/
Old 01-10-2018, 20:00   #36

Boat: Columbia 10.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooglas View Post
Okay, you are looking for a bargain. We get that...
FWIW, I'm not interested in a "bargain" system, I'm asking if it is WORTH paying more. I'd pay $1,000 if the system is worth $1,000 or saves me $$ in the future. I just don't see the point of wasting money if you don't get the value.

For example, I never buy double-braid at West Marine. I get almost all my rope online for a fraction of the cost. The rope I buy is equivalent quality, has never failed, and I've got 100s of extra dollars in my pocket.

FYI, I have purchased a ProMarine dual-bank charger similar to the one you mentioned.
Bigjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 21:16   #37

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
I know a few people who are using Iota chargers (with the IQ4 option). $160USD will get you a 55A multistage charger.

Of course its not "marine grade". However they seem to be pretty reliable if properly installed in a dry location. Might be an option if you are on a budget.
I use Iota DLS-X chargers with the optional IQ-4-X smart charge controller. I have been very happy with them and the price. For LA batteries you need about 15% of the amp-hour capacity so a 200 Ah bank will need a 30 amp charger. Going bigger won't significantly speed charge time to full and is not recommended by Trojan.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 10:43   #38
cruiser

For those needing voltage adjustability

https://powermaxconverters.com/product/pmbc-12-volt/
Old 02-10-2018, 11:09   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Last year at my old guest battery charger died, I replaced it with a go Power, battery charger from Defender. It's a 35 amp in Theory smart charger. On the hook I mainly use it for bunk charging only. It only has one set of battery connections which is all I use anyway. No lights no settings but it works pretty darn well, at least for me. Best of all when I got it last year it was on sale at Defender for $125. I just checked in the same charger is now $150 at defender. Still a pretty good deal

Is it the best battery charger.... no. But for doing a quick bulk charge of the house Bank a anchor, using mr. Honda, it does the job quite well.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 11:43   #40

Quote:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

For example, I never buy double-braid at West Marine. I get almost all my rope online for a fraction of the cost. The rope I buy is equivalent quality, has never failed, and I've got 100s of extra dollars in my pocket.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Doesn't this simply describe comparative shopping? You find out what you want AFTER doing the research & homework, and then go find the right price (base cost PLUS s&h) that works for you.

This seems to me to be different than the basic "What should I buy?" in the first place question. Isn't it?
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 13:27   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacdonald View Post
I use Iota DLS-X chargers with the optional IQ-4-X smart charge controller. I have been very happy with them and the price. For LA batteries you need about 15% of the amp-hour capacity so a 200 Ah bank will need a 30 amp charger. Going bigger won't significantly speed charge time to full and is not recommended by Trojan.

Sizing is important. You do want about 15%C, and not less.

I don't agree that larger won't improve charge time -- FLA batts will usually accept up to 25% or even 30%C -- but only during the bulk phase, and charging them this fast will shorten their lives. 15% or possibly 20%C (with batt temperature monitoring) is the right size for FLA; more for AGM.

Another crucially important quality in a battery charger is voltage sensing at the battery terminal. You will sulfate and eventually kill your batteries if you don't get to the right absorption voltage, and your charger can't even tell, no matter how smart it is, if it doesn't sense voltage at the battery terminal.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 14:31   #42

Trojan actually recommends 10 to 13% of C/20 rating. If you PSOC cycle your batteries then a larger charger would get you to 80% SOC faster but to 100% SOC it won't make a lot of difference.
Old 02-10-2018, 14:47   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Do you really need a $400 charger?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Sizing is important. You do want about 15%C, and not less.

I don't agree that larger won't improve charge time -- FLA batts will usually accept up to 25% or even 30%C -- but only during the bulk phase, and charging them this fast will shorten their lives. 15% or possibly 20%C (with batt temperature monitoring) is the right size for FLA; more for AGM.

Another crucially important quality in a battery charger is voltage sensing at the battery terminal. You will sulfate and eventually kill your batteries if you don't get to the right absorption voltage, and your charger can't even tell, no matter how smart it is, if it doesn't sense voltage at the battery terminal.

Without a separate wire for voltage sensing, what your suggesting isn’t possible.
Except for an alternator charge controller, I have never seen a separate wire for only voltage sensing on a charger, but I’ve not seen them all.
My Magnum, Outback 80 and Pro Sterling Charge Ultra, none of them have a separate voltage sense wire.
However it’s easy to check if battery voltage equals charger voltage with a multimeter, and or a Smart Gauge, mine seems accurate as a voltmeter.

Correctly sized wiring and you won’t have a problem, you will of course if run is too long or sized too small for the load.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 15:06   #44

As the battery acceptance decreases the charge current will decrease thus decreasing any voltage drop in the wiring. This doesn't mean you don't need to properly size the wiring but it does mean voltage drop isn't as harmful as some people would lead you to believe unless of course you are PSOC cycling your batteries, then charge time to say 85% SOC would be increased.
Old 03-10-2018, 08:48   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Without a separate wire for voltage sensing, what your suggesting isn’t possible.
Except for an alternator charge controller, I have never seen a separate wire for only voltage sensing on a charger, but I’ve not seen them all.
My Magnum, Outback 80 and Pro Sterling Charge Ultra, none of them have a separate voltage sense wire.
However it’s easy to check if battery voltage equals charger voltage with a multimeter, and or a Smart Gauge, mine seems accurate as a voltmeter.

Correctly sized wiring and you won’t have a problem, you will of course if run is too long or sized too small for the load.

Are you sure about that? Both my Victron and the previous charger, a Newmar, originally installed when my boat was built, have/had separate wires for voltage sensing.

I see from this that Sterling has a separate voltage sense wire:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/06...22295855460459

If you can adjust the charging voltages, you can deal with this that way, by measuring yourself and then setting the voltages to account for the drop. But I thought all quality battery chargers had separate voltage sense wires.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger