Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2009, 14:27   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Do You Have an AquaMarine MyTGen Installed?

How long have you had it? Have there been any problems with it? How loud it is when it's running? What other 12-volt DC diesel generators did you consider? What did you replace, if anything?

Thanks for the replies. Take the rest of the day off.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 15:18   #2

Aqua Marine are good people. I have used their watermaker stuff, but not the My T Gen. A couple thoughts : (I built 3 Kubota based 12V gens) It appears they took the easy way out and are using an electric water pump (not sure what kind... diaphragm?) for exhaust cooling. Ample Power makes the "Little Genie" in this same Kubota format, but uses (or used to) a bronze impellor pump, belt driven. I dont see a price listed but I would compare the two. The belt drive water pump complicates things a lot, and I dont blame Aqua for doing it that way, if I were doing it again I might , but I would put a snap disc thermostat on the exhaust elbow to warn if the water pump goes out. I think the Genie has this anyway. I'd be surprised if the Aqua doesnt. If I'm seeing what Aqua has done they have made the task pretty easy. When we built them we removed the air cooling system/fan, put a small heat exchanger under the fill tank and routed the cooling water through a copper coil and into the exhaust. If the the Aqua is relying on air movement, you might not be able to have it enclosed. Also the fan can be noisier at higher RPM. These units are nice though as you can adjust rpm to a sweet spot that isnt noisy or vibration prone. In theory the AS should be a lot cheaper than the Genie, unless the genie doesnt have a water cooled heat exch and belt drive pump.... wonder how they compare? Dave at Ample is great help too... Both are small companies...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2009, 15:26   #3

There are some great photos here of the Genie. (not Ample's web site). It appears he no longer uses the belt drive water pump. But you can see the large Bronze heat exchanger he uses in lieu of the fan. This should be quieter than fan cooling. Maybe Aqua uses a heat exch also? ask them if they do or if it is just an exhaust cooling pump....but they did leave the fan on... Island Packet Photos (Ample Power Genie DC Genset - Album_ID 831)
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote