Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2020, 16:11   #16

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.
Re: DIY generator off 1GM10

Yes you can put together a generator and save a lot of money. Go online to Northern Tool +Equipment and checkout their generator heads. Keep in mind that even though your engine is rated at 9 hp, it is a diesel with more torque than a gas engine. Torque always win over hp.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2020, 08:32   #17

Boat: Lagoon TPI 37'

Bypass impeller pump with electric water pump and get a Markon B105E generator head. You will need a radiator for heat transfer. Also get a electric fan. The Markon was also labeled by Carrier. Set the governor by adjusting bolt and nut in order to fine tune the frequency. Pulley sizes will be a hurdle but you can see what the Nextgen generator or over the road truck generators use.
sailingchiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 15:14   #18

Boat: Cape Dory 25D

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Yes you can put together a generator and save a lot of money. Go online to Northern Tool +Equipment and checkout their generator heads. Keep in mind that even though your engine is rated at 9 hp, it is a diesel with more torque than a gas engine. Torque always win over hp.
Technically, engine output is the product of speed and torque (or angular velocity and angular force, for you mathematical purists). Granted, diesel engines produce more torque, but gasoline engines turn faster.
Richv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 15:26   #19

The little Yanmar engines you will find the govenor is very good. You set a speed & they will stick to it under varying loads. I would go for a 4 pole generator & run it at 1800RPM.
DeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2020, 16:03   #20

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeBe View Post
The little Yanmar engines you will find the govenor is very good. You set a speed & they will stick to it under varying loads. I would go for a 4 pole generator & run it at 1800RPM.

You'd need to check the power and torque curve for the engine. Most single thumper's are designed to work at the higher end of the rpm range.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 09:36   #21

Boat: 41' yawl
DIY generator off 1GM10

Hi, thanks for all the input. I like the alternator->battery bank->inverter route, any tips on good brands for something like a 5kw 24V alternator, and pure sine inverters? Amazon is full of them but I have no idea what’s junk and what’s not.

I’m thinking 2 inverters that each do a 20amp 120VAC circuit would be nice, although maybe having 240VAC available would be useful... maybe you can sync 2 inverters to do this? (I like the redundancy of 2x inverters...)

This will be on land, in a shed, so ‘marine’ brands not necessary...
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2021, 11:09   #22

Boat: Island Packet 40

Not sure whether it's been mentioned previously and don't want to read the entire thread to check but one of the things you need to be mindful of when selecting a DC alternator is that the voltage regulator has an external battery voltage sensing terminal in case you want the engine driven component of the system separated from the batteries and inverter sections.
Old 17-01-2021, 14:18   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Not sure whether it's been mentioned previously and don't want to read the entire thread to check but one of the things you need to be mindful of when selecting a DC alternator is that the voltage regulator has an external battery voltage sensing terminal in case you want the engine driven component of the system separated from the batteries and inverter sections.

Thanks, I’m not sure anyone has mentioned this and I’m not sure I understand, can you elaborate a bit?

I’m thinking operation is like ‘engine runs occasionally to charge the battery bank’ and ‘inverters run off the battery bank’. I haven’t thought much about the interaction of the two but probably should!
Old 17-01-2021, 21:49   #24

Boat: Island Packet 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris95040 View Post
Thanks, I’m not sure anyone has mentioned this and I’m not sure I understand, can you elaborate a bit?

I’m thinking operation is like ‘engine runs occasionally to charge the battery bank’ and ‘inverters run off the battery bank’. I haven’t thought much about the interaction of the two but probably should!
Because you may be putting lots of amps through the wiring between the charging alternator and the batteries it is not unusual to see a couple of volts of drop between the alternator output and the battery input. If the voltage regulator measures the voltage internally (within the alternator) it will wind the amps output back and reduce the charging of the battery. However if it measures the battery voltage at the battery terminal using a separate wire without any current going through it, it will measure the true battery voltage and respond accordingly with a higher charging current.
Old 18-01-2021, 06:45   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
Because you may be putting lots of amps through the wiring between the charging alternator and the batteries it is not unusual to see a couple of volts of drop between the alternator output and the battery input. If the voltage regulator measures the voltage internally (within the alternator) it will wind the amps output back and reduce the charging of the battery. However if it measures the battery voltage at the battery terminal using a separate wire without any current going through it, it will measure the true battery voltage and respond accordingly with a higher charging current.

Ah, that makes sense, thanks!
Old 18-01-2021, 07:36   #26

Instead of an AC generator, consider getting a permanent magnet alternator and inverter.

A PMA is more efficient, and you don't have speed regulation issues. For a home brew it might be a simpler set up.
BillKny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1gm10, DIY, generator