Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-11-2021, 08:30   #46
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Distilled water not available in rural Honduras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
I very much doubt if there will be purified water available. These people have next to nothing.
so their govt allows em to suffer waterborne illnesses or does govt provide purification plants as some do down here..... just because there is nothing doesnot mean all are ill from waterborne illnesses.. remember the govts also offered a lovely rehoming package post caravan.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 12:32   #47

I love first world assumptions.

Most of the world has no potable drinking water available to them no how no way. More than 60 million Americans are exposed to unsafe tap water each year, and over 2 million live fulltime without access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-23898-z

Point is, **of course** in poor countries' primitive rural locations, there are lots of water related illnesses, and no the government will likely not solve those problems.

I have spent decades living in communities where it is the youngest daughter's job to haul the household water in jugs every day from the village well, often miles away.

Even in the US, Greece and Australia I lived many years with plain untreated rain water or well water. Still drink straight from rivers and streams in places I know are OK.

Of course none of which I would use to top up FLAs
PaulCrawhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2021, 13:18   #48

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulCrawhorn View Post
I love first world assumptions.

Most of the world has no potable drinking water available to them no how no way. More than 60 million Americans are exposed to unsafe tap water each year, and over 2 million live fulltime without access to safe drinking water and basic sanitation. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-23898-z

Point is, **of course** in poor countries' primitive rural locations, there are lots of water related illnesses, and no the government will likely not solve those problems.

I have spent decades living in communities where it is the youngest daughter's job to haul the household water in jugs every day from the village well, often miles away.

Even in the US, Greece and Australia I lived many years with plain untreated rain water or well water. Still drink straight from rivers and streams in places I know are OK.

Of course none of which I would use to top up FLAs
Well the USA is having a serious problem delivering safe potable water. While potable is abundant, it's safety is very questionable.

://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/nov/03/us-tap-water-contaminants-discovery-radioactive-material-pesticides
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 06:47   #49

Boat: Amazon 49 cutter, custom steel boat built in Surrey, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
what do the people drink..if they drink purified water, use that in your batteries..i used purified water here in mexico with no issue and batteries lasted me 7 yrs.
Most of the locals drink spring water. Several houses will join together to run a poly pipe up the hill to a spring and then plumb it to an area close to their house. Although certainly drinkable, it’s not what I want to have them use for their batteries.

There is no shortage of water in this area of Honduras.

Cheers!

Steve
steve77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 12:37   #50

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I used to have a twelve volt dehumidifier on my boat. It drew only a couple of amps while it was working--and it operated on the Peltier effect. That produced up to half a gallon of pure water a day, depending on the relative humidity. It should be more than enough for batteries.

I had this dehumidifier for ages--it has an electronically operated cold surface and a fan to move the humid air over it. Water condenses on to the plates and runs into a reservoir, but I had adapted mine so that it could overflow into a sink instead of shutting off the device when the reservoir was full, because I often left it unattended for days, even weeks, and it was then more than adequately powered by the batteries with day time solar charging..
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2021, 14:47   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Banks View Post
I used to have a twelve volt dehumidifier on my boat.
Wow, very interested, got a link or search string?

Any idea what the ballpark Ah per 24hrs draw was?
Old 04-11-2021, 15:50   #52

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

https://dehumidifierusa.com/12-volt-...fier-for-boat/
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 04:33   #53
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat

All of the conversation has been regarding the supply side of the problem; how about reducing the need for water by using Hydro Caps (Hydrocap |). Here is the description from their website:
Quote:
A HYDROCAP VENT replaces a battery's regular cell cap. When the cell is gassing, the hydrogen and oxygen gasses are vented into the HYDROCAP. Inside a HYDROCAP, hydrogen and oxygen gases are catalytically recombined into pure water which is returned to the cells virtually eliminating explosive hydrogen gas concentrations, and washing acid fumes and vapors back into the battery cell. This combination greatly reduces watering maintenance, makes metal corrosion virtually non-existent, and creates safer operating conditions. Electrolyte returned to the cell also increases the useful power available and lengthens battery life.
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 05:23   #54

Thank you for the information on Hydrocap. What a fantastic idea for boat owners as well as those Hondurans.
Stewie12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2021, 07:13   #55

Just know, they only reduce not eliminate the need for distilled water.

In a cramped boat with only awkward access to the cells, maybe worth the extra trouble and expense.

But since producing distilled water is still required, in this case

not a financial issue, just motivation time knowledge and diligence

the difference between more water and less water is basically cost-free
Old 06-11-2021, 07:28   #56
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie12 View Post
Thank you for the information on Hydrocap. What a fantastic idea for boat owners as well as those Hondurans.

The RV and forklift reviews suggest they only last a few years and cost ~ $15 each. Not the miracle they suggest? Other experiences?

https://forum.solar-electric.com/dis...tery-vent-caps

Tags
Honduras, water