Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2022, 07:57   #1

Diode for Anchor/Steaming Light???

I have a 36-foot powerboat with 12-volt systems. Note, regulations permit a single all-around steaming light for vessels under power below 12-meters (39-feet).

I would like to use a single all-around light as both anchor and steaming light. Occurs to me a diode of some sort will permit this - see the attached diagram.

QUESTIONS:
  1. Am I missing anything here?
  2. Assuming I'm on right track, any specific recommendations for Diode (URL would be great)?

Thanks in advance -

Click image for larger version

Name:	Diode for <a title=Anchor Steaming Light.jpg Views: 140 Size: 349.6 KB ID: 257826" style="margin: 2px" />
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 08:13   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Diode for Anchor/Steaming Light???

I used diodes for mine. I have a separate stern light, so I used a masthead that can be lit as a 225* or a 360*. The Nav switch feeds the side and stern lights directly, then the forward part of the masthead through a diode. The Anchor switch feeds the aft part of the masthead directly, then the forward part through a diode. That way nothing back-feeds. It's been wired that way for a couple of years and works fine.

The diodes I used are these (they conveniently connect right to the switch terminals): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also use double pole switches where the side lights are on one pole and the masthead on the other, that way turning on the anchor light doesn't back-feed the side lights (as they're not connected to the masthead light unless the nav lights are on).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 08:21   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

A common or garden 1N5001 diode will cover most bulb wattages in use.
Old 16-05-2022, 09:23   #4

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Using a diode alone to stop the LED from expiring is likely the worst way possible to control its lumen output colour rendering and life span. A good quality system has a class 2 power supply or a dedicated driver. Either will have 2 levels of RF filters. Or you can order 12V from amazon or eBay with a driver on the led which perform like an average led house lamp.
Marine really calls for marine grade tough. They should be as tough as any electrical system on the boat. I2 Systems is one of my go too’s.
I toured a Hanse which had stepped up the lighting game with twin rectangular led recessed from a company in Norway.
As to an anchor and running light I’ve moved from power where the transom is well lit. It a rolling sea the mast head running light is great. I would use 4 line silicone wire. A mutual ground , anchor, running, spreader. I like blue light for spreader lights. There are two easy blues and the light blue is the one I like. It’s less obtrusive at an anchorage or docking. Lensing on these fixtures is key. We don’t want a circle of light so a pro. Fixture gets ordered with a linear spread lens. Now two long thin beams run the gunnels.
Side markers sorry if I’m preaching to the choir but power and sail are different. Sail have an annoying increased up lens rather than power boats lights eyelid.
I’ve changed every fixture in the boat using Studio Italia, I 2 Systems and some waterproof strip light. Everything is dim-able and remote. So all the Chinese lighting in my French boats tossed
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2022, 09:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post
Using a diode alone to stop the LED from expiring is likely the worst way possible to control its lumen output colour rendering and life span. A good quality system has a class 2 power supply or a dedicated driver. Either will have 2 levels of RF filters. Or you can order 12V from amazon or eBay with a driver on the led which perform like an average led house lamp.
Marine really calls for marine grade tough. They should be as tough as any electrical system on the boat. I2 Systems is one of my go too’s.
I toured a Hanse which had stepped up the lighting game with twin rectangular led recessed from a company in Norway.
As to an anchor and running light I’ve moved from power where the transom is well lit. It a rolling sea the mast head running light is great. I would use 4 line silicone wire. A mutual ground , anchor, running, spreader. I like blue light for spreader lights. There are two easy blues and the light blue is the one I like. It’s less obtrusive at an anchorage or docking. Lensing on these fixtures is key. We don’t want a circle of light so a pro. Fixture gets ordered with a linear spread lens. Now two long thin beams run the gunnels.
Side markers sorry if I’m preaching to the choir but power and sail are different. Sail have an annoying increased up lens rather than power boats lights eyelid.
I’ve changed every fixture in the boat using Studio Italia, I 2 Systems and some waterproof strip light. Everything is dim-able and remote. So all the Chinese lighting in my French boats tossed
This isn't about a diode for LED protection, it's to get proper anchor/nav light functionality when the same light needs to be part of both circuits.
Old 16-05-2022, 09:35   #6

Sure it’s worked for years.
Old 17-05-2022, 15:45   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
I used diodes for mine. I have a separate stern light, so I used a masthead that can be lit as a 225* or a 360*. The Nav switch feeds the side and stern lights directly, then the forward part of the masthead through a diode. The Anchor switch feeds the aft part of the masthead directly, then the forward part through a diode. That way nothing back-feeds. It's been wired that way for a couple of years and works fine.

The diodes I used are these (they conveniently connect right to the switch terminals): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can also use double pole switches where the side lights are on one pole and the masthead on the other, that way turning on the anchor light doesn't back-feed the side lights (as they're not connected to the masthead light unless the nav lights are on).

That is a 10 cent diode for $8. Not much of a deal.

The OP's idea will work fine.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 15:56   #8
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumrace View Post

Sorry but your comments are just a load of nonsense

Firstly lots of Chinese led lighting is fine. I have many such systems working perfectly

Secondly “ class 2” is a ott US NEC specification that’s completely irrelevant to boats . It’s primarily designed for mains powered leds.

Leds in themselves generate no RF , in certain cases the power supply to such LEDs may contain pwm switching circuitry which “ can” cause interference. But it’s not common with the circuits in use today.

At the last count I have 34 switching power systems on my boat ranging from 500mW to over 2000w. The risk of interference from the 2000W device is much greater then a tiny led switcher.

As for marine tough , that’s a meaningless descriptor
Old 17-05-2022, 18:32   #9

Boat: Pearson 10M

You have two switches Turn both on when under poweri. only turn the masthead 360 on when anchored. No need for a diode, don’t over complicate things
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2022, 18:55   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by guyrj33 View Post
You have two switches Turn both on when under poweri. only turn the masthead 360 on when anchored. No need for a diode, don’t over complicate things
The OP is simplifying. One switch for running lights and one for anchor light.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 05:15   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormalong View Post
The OP is simplifying. One switch for running lights and one for anchor light.

Thinking about it, either way is similar operational complexity. Still only 2 switches for the system.
Old 18-05-2022, 07:33   #12

Boat: Nordic Tug 32

Your circuit drawing is correct and I have used it for more than 10 years on our trawler. I also added a photo switch in the anchor light leg (night watchman) so the anchor light will turn off during the day and turn itself on at night. Thus, you can leave the boat during the day without wasting power and find the boat after dark because the anchor light is on.
SVToybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 07:35   #13

Boat: Nordic Tug 32

A single On-off-On switch is all that is required.
SVToybox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2022, 09:13   #14

Boat: Island Packet 40

The OPs circuit should work well for what they intend to do, just needs a diode with a large enough current rating for the power consumption of the lights.

Handy things diodes, you can use them with a double pole, double throw switch to use a single set of conductors for two separate lights.
Old 18-05-2022, 10:19   #15

Adding the photocell switch is just plain brilliant. Terrible coming back to a dark boat.

Tags
anchor