Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2021, 17:23   #1

Boat: C&C 35 MkIII
Digital Switches

I'm looking into upgrading my AC/DC panel while changing batteries from FLA to LiFePO4. Over the next 2 years I'm planning on other system upgrades so I'm trying to think ahead and plan for future potential. For instance, my holding tank and FW tanks do not have level sensors. Tying new sensors into a NMEA2K data system that can control switches would be great (eg turn off the macerator automatically if the tank level gets to a certain low point during discharge).

The digital switching system (CZone) looks very interesting. After searching for hours online I can only find marketing info on these products and no real information on installation.

Does anyone know of any install info on the web? Or, have experience on an install that they can share?
jroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 18:07   #2

Re: Digital Switches

I don’t think czone provides much info as they want installers to do it. They had too many complaints from diy people complaining nothing worked... they used to only sell to dealers for that reason but I think they have opened sales up again now.

I have put a bit in. Including shutting pumps off via tank levels that you are looking for. I think you need to use senders into czone though (Standard ohm senders). Not Nmea 2000 senders. Czone wound put its tank Info onto the N2k bus. But I can’t recall if it can pull data from it. That boat was a couple years ago.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2021, 23:49   #3

Hi!
I have done a complete swap. Moved from Seaplex/E-plex to czone.
A starting point would be the czone portal:
https://downloads.czone.net/

Regards,
czone.dev
czone.dev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 04:33   #4

I swapped out a Seaplex/E-plex system with a czone setup.

Have you tried the czone portal?
downloads.czone.net
Old 25-01-2021, 10:06   #5

Boat: C&C 35 MkIII

Thanks. Most of the information posted on that link is about software/firmware updates and little to no information about system design or installation. If a marine electrical/electronic installer wanted to learn about CZone and applications, surely there would be information available. How do installers get certified for CZone? Why not make this information available?

Personally I would never install such a system by myself and expect everything to run properly (it's not like buying a PC from a big box and you just turn it on). I would work with a professional and certainly get any of my installation verified. But I want to know how the system is set up, how it's configured, how it's installed, etc. If I'm 1/2 to Hawaii and something fails I can't just pull over to a marina and ask for help.

I can see why CZone would not want a bunch of DIYs to play around, have difficulties then complain or post poor reviews. But these systems should not really be that complicated once you understand them. Car electronics are complicated yet simple. Once I know how my BMW works I can diagnose it easily and configure when the interior lights come on and how bright. A module fails, I can easily replace it. I would expect no less from my upgraded boat.

Wouldn't the market for older boat upgrades be bigger than the new production market? In my area there are many power & sail that are 10+ years, well maintained but owners would consider upgrading. And they are like me: want to learn, get hands on, etc. It's not about saving pennies. Closing yourself to this market does not makes economic sense. Especially these days where so many businesses share information on Youtube, etc. so that potential customers can learn the details and best practices if they want to.

Sorry about the rant.
jroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 10:56   #6

The average Joe have no clue how the car electronics are set up.

Doing it myself I know what to expect and what to do if something breaks. I have access to the config and can fix it myself but you need to have som programming skills to be able to do it.

As always google is you friend. Airstream caravanes are equiped with czone.
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...ne-199018.html
Old 25-01-2021, 11:49   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Yes Would never have a mission critical piece of electronics I can’t understand , install or replace on board.
Old 25-01-2021, 14:40   #8

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

https://www.czone.net/news/d/czone-contact-6-plus

It can use wifi, Canbus or 8-24 g wire for the control to switch and dim, timer, etc.

I could see something like this system for an entire house lighting system. Just daisy chain a #14 at some low voltage to all light locations and then use wifi or single 20 gauge to control the devices which all have a unique id and a receiver and control chip. The control signal could even be run through the #14 gauge power wire. It would be much more flexible and adaptable. A cell app would as help with control.
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote