Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2018, 12:58   #46

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.
Re: Different current from house bank batteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
Its definitely more complicated for fout batteries. I have three batteries too, and Im presently fitting a xantrex charger to the boat.

I had been considering either just connecting the centre battery (two) or the next positive and the next negative on batteries one and three, but now Im not so sure.
Why make something simple complicated. Three or four batteries. Once paralleled they become one larger battery. Tap off or charge any place you want.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 13:14   #47

Boat: Colegate 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorman View Post
Thanks all, I have disconnected the middle battery. I still need testing but morning voltages are now higher. I only have one more month to survive which will be ok with the reduced Ah, before putting the boat on the hard for 6 months. Will replace all when I get back
That's a man with a plan. Come back bigger and better
LoudMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 13:15   #48
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

You can also take a IR pyrometer and measure the temp on each of the terminals of the Batteries both under load and under charge (at a large enough amperage of course).

The idea is that any resistance in the connectors, posts etc will show up as a temp difference (before and after measurement).

Even simple mistakes like using a stainless washer and stacking it close to the battery will introduce a significant resistance and localized heating.

I once has a perfectly good looking lug crimped to some 2/0 which under 100 amps charge became too hot to touch. Bad crimp.

Just another tool for your quiver.

You can get a cheap IR pyrometer for $20 or so.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 13:18   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Why make something simple complicated. Three or four batteries. Once paralleled they become one larger battery. Tap off or charge any place you want.

my views are not extraordinary but differ
batteries in themselves have resistance

my best advice, find a fight someplace else
Old 22-03-2018, 13:42   #50

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZULU40 View Post
my views are not extraordinary but differ
batteries in themselves have resistance

my best advice, find a fight someplace else
Fight? You said not to sure. Batteries are just big capacitors. Resistance?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2018, 18:32   #51
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlcnuke View Post
Updated link to make it an image.
That is a correct installation drawing. Positive connection on one end of the bank, negative on the other end. That configuration assures each battery in the bank is charged and discharged equally.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 03:36   #52
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
That is a correct installation drawing. Positive connection on one end of the bank, negative on the other end. That configuration assures each battery in the bank is charged and discharged equally.
Nope ...

Let's take the example of 4 batteries. With this classical setup batt 1 & 4 are connected to the loads/charges with 3 cables carrying 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of total current (in theory), while batt 2 & 3 are connected to the loads with 1 cable carrying 1/2 and 2 cables carrying 3/4 of total current. So 3 cables per battery, right, but with different characteristics.

If you care to have a look at the Smartguage link posted here you will see you can have all 4 batteries connected to the loads with only 2 cables: 1 carrying 1/4 and 1 carrying 1/2 of total current. Much better isn't it ?
rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 05:54   #53

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by rom View Post
Nope ...

Let's take the example of 4 batteries. With this classical setup batt 1 & 4 are connected to the loads/charges with 3 cables carrying 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 of total current (in theory), while batt 2 & 3 are connected to the loads with 1 cable carrying 1/2 and 2 cables carrying 3/4 of total current. So 3 cables per battery, right, but with different characteristics.

If you care to have a look at the Smartguage link posted here you will see you can have all 4 batteries connected to the loads with only 2 cables: 1 carrying 1/4 and 1 carrying 1/2 of total current. Much better isn't it ?
If you are referencing post #5 in this thread, that is a correct way to connect 4 batteries. All 4 batteries are the same 'wire distance' from the load and/or charging source.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2018, 12:14   #54
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

That's from MaineSail.

But Gibbo's a pretty smart cookie bout this stuff too 8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2018, 02:19   #55
rom

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
If you are referencing post #5 in this thread, that is a correct way to connect 4 batteries. All 4 batteries are the same 'wire distance' from the load and/or charging source.
Yes but this is not the only parameter to be considered for proper balance. Of course it would help the discussion if you had a look at SmartGauge Electronics - Interconnecting multiple batteries to form one larger bank
rom is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current