Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2022, 17:26   #1

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft
DC negative connections when adding a new lithium bank to an existing LA bank

Perhaps a silly question but when adding a new lithium battery bank on a boat with an existing LA battery bank, do you use a common DC negative bus or do you keep them separate?
andrzej0nl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 17:38   #2

Re: DC negative connections when adding a new lithium bank to an existing LA bank

In ALMOST all cases, yes you would use a common negative bus.

The details can depend on exactly what the new battery is being used for, and the complexities of your bonding system (if any).
ItDepends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2022, 17:43   #3

Re: DC negative connections when adding a new lithium bank to an existing LA bank

Thanks, common is what I thought but hit a senior moment. Not doing anything complex, just adding 200 or 400 ah capacity to support electric galley. Plan to retain existing 400ah firefly bank.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 29-08-2022, 17:47   #4

That's a potentially complex mixed system... You'll be keeping the two banks completely separate as far as charging and discharging?
Old 29-08-2022, 18:02   #5

I plan to charge the lithium primarily via solar, and via 2 Orion dc-dc chargers from the fireflies when alternator is running. Alt will continue to charge the firefly bank. To charge the fireflies from lithium when engine not running, I will use use my shore charger via an inverter powered by the lithium. Not efficient but simple.

I did notice a drawing on the victron site showing the dc-neg isolated to each battery bank. As I use afloating ground and do not bond, keeping the dc-neg isolated within each bank is not a wiring challenge.

Do you think this would work?
Old 29-08-2022, 18:18   #6

Yes, isolated grounds can work. My boat actually was designed that way with isolated negative circuits for the 24V house bank and the 12V engine system.

Tags
lithium