Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2024, 15:10   #1

Boat: Southerly 480
CZone OI and an isolated DC-DC converter: why is this happening?

I'm adding a DC powered HP Starlink to the boat using an isolated DC-DC converter (Victron Orion-Tr 24/48 8.5). They only sell an isolated version.

The OI is powered by a 24/12 50 DC-DC converter (Mac Plus) which powers the 12v plane (there are other 12v circuits). The house batteries are 24v. The negative busses of the 12v and 24v planes are common. I've attached a rough diagram.

When I engage the circuit with the Orion converter the circuit is shut down by the OI with a short error. When I connect the input and output negatives from the Orion, everything works as expected. I also tried this with a 24/12 isolated DC-DC converter I have, and the exact same thing happened. This happens without load on the downstream converter.

When weird things like this happen, I tend to think ground loop. But, I can't for the life of me figure out how this could be the case. I could just go with turning the isolated into a non-isolated converter, but I'd like to understand why an isolated won't work here. Any ideas?
shimari is offline   Reply With Quote