Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2011, 14:45   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Custom Wind Generator Pole vs Store Bought Pole

Looking at a few wind generators, a 7'-9' pole set up runs $200-$500 looking in a few different catalogs and online venders.

Is there anything special or any reason I can't have my welder buddy cut me some aluminum and make brackets? Maybe even powder-coat or anodize it.

I know the 360 swivel contraption is built into the generator, so why so much for some aluminum poles?

Also gonna raise the stern light up the pole, and add radar.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 14:47   #2

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Re: Custom wind generator pole vs store bought pole?

It's "marine."
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 14:54   #3
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

rofl MARINE just means 400 percent markup--can get same same with doing good connexions by self..LOL.... have fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:03   #4

Boat: Searunner 34 Trimaran

Without getting into the quiet Vs noisy brands of generator, regarding their noise above decks, there is "transmitted noise" that is heard ONLY down below. It can be NO PROBLEM or be VERY loud.

If your pole is on the transom & the struts go down to the cockpit's caprail... AND if you have sealed off lazeretts under the seats rather than a quarter berth or aft cabin, you should have no problem with transmitted noise.

IF the struts come down to the cabin top, or any other part of the cabin that is inhabited, you have a problem. You can help a bit with extensively rubber mounted pole and struts, but noise may still drive you up a wall.

This was exactly the case for us. Our AmpAir, (the quietest unit ever made), was VERY quiet below on my previous boat, because it was scenario #1 above. Years of building later, I mounted it on our current boat, which was scenario #2 above. It almost drove us MAD!

That was when I swapped it out for another large solar panel on a stern rack. WHEW! what a relief!

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	60.JPG
Views:	245
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	26660   Click image for larger version

Name:	169.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	26661  

Click image for larger version

Name:	186.JPG
Views:	250
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	26662  
Mark Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 15:48   #5

Boat: 57ft Steel Expedition Vessel

We just made one out of thick wall 48mm stainless pipe. Very Solid. Not sure about the noise issue Mark has just mentioned as we have not been on the boat when its going full speed yet. Other than the possible rubber noise dampener's I cant see any reason why you cant just build your own.
Dame.n.Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2011, 16:05   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we made one last yr out of heavy duty pvc--worked great-- dunno if still working, as i am not sailing with that soul any more.....but i cannot see how it could have failed...
the machine is a non marine rated air-X and was silent. i loved the damn thing and wouldn't mind finding one like it for my formosa.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, wind generator