Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2015, 12:41   #1

currnnt no neg cable

Installed a new trojan house bank and had rapid discharge which sent me on a hunt only to find current on the neg lead. Big current equal tool that on the positive

Replaced house bank with start
Pulled cables and inspected
Isolated inverter
Isolated start and bow banks
Looked for obvious shorts but this is big current - 6A for frdge 24 with a pump 55 on charge....
Nothing on starter alternator or engine ground

On 2nd electrician now and grasping at straws. Need to leave Fiji and would appreciate idess
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 12:54   #2
Eternal Member

Re: currnnt no neg cable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoghead View Post
Installed a new trojan house bank and had rapid discharge which sent me on a hunt only to find current on the neg lead. Big current equal tool that on the positive

Replaced house bank with start
Pulled cables and inspected
Isolated inverter
Isolated start and bow banks
Looked for obvious shorts but this is big current - 6A for frdge 24 with a pump 55 on charge....
Nothing on starter alternator or engine ground

On 2nd electrician now and grasping at straws. Need to leave Fiji and would appreciate idess
Not nearly enough information to explain your problem and allow a helpful answer.

First: it would help if you'd write clearly in English and edit your own post to be sure you're communicating well.

Next: current on the negative cable is/should be equal to that on the positive cable. Did you know that DC current flows from negative to
positive?

Terms like "rapid discharge" and "big current" are meaningless, unless used in context and explained.

Not trying to be snippy, but we really can't help you unless we fully understand your situation.

Please take the time to explain, in detail, the problem and how it came about. Also, any measurements of voltage and current flow could be helpful.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:44   #3

Thank you so much for the helpful reply.

Before being so quick to criticize you may wish to consider that English may not be my first language and that I am doing this on a phone

Then again you probably speak American and not proper English so I understand your confusion
Hoghead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 01:58   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

OK, well I speak proper English and I don't really understand you question either.

I'm not critical of your English language abilities but we can't help you if we can't understand your question.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 03:09   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

I also am at a loss as to how to answer this. Are you saying when you hook up the batteries the water pump draws 24 amps? But the charger is feeding 54 amps?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote