Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 17:54   #16
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dockhead, here in the US when we hear "England" and "electrics" in the same breath, we tend to think "Lucas, the King of Darkness!".

Hopefully your 33L guys do a better job than Lucas did on the sports cars? <G>

Lanor rates are all over the place in the US, the problem with contractors in general and marine contractors even more so, is finding ones who are honest, competent, and actually willing to show up to do the job. A $50/hr electrician and a $125 electrician may be complete equals, the trick is to find a good one at any price.

Escape Plan, you may find a pro will want to do the entire job himself, not unreasonable since that way he can warranty the entire job, but sometimes a bit expensive. It never hurts to ask "What would you be willing to let me do/supply, in order to keep down the overall costs?" And, to give him a precise written list of what you want done, up front. Adding a circuit or two may mean changing a whole panel or buying a whole extra spool of wire--so planning ahead and giving him a clena start would be Job Number One.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:33   #17
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar Long Range Trawler; 53'; BearBoat
Stillraining-Excellent job.
A few fine points:
1. It appears that you have more than one conductor attached to the load side of several of the circuit breakers. I try very hard not to do this and generally will lead a single, typically AWG 10, conductor from the load side of each CB to a terminal strip where I distribute to multiple loads using jumpers on the terminal strip.
2. By combining B- (yellow) conductors on the Ship's Ground, you have made future troubleshooting a bit more difficult.
3. By not labeling the B- (yellow) conductors on the Ship's Ground, you have made future troubleshooting a bit more difficult.
4. By not labeling the Safety Ground (green) conductor on the Safety Ground Bus, you have made future troubleshooting a bit more difficult.
5. Ditto for the neutral conductors on the Neutral Bus.

I do not see the tie between the Safety Ground bus and the Vessel Ground Bus (B-) as required by ABYC Standards.

I don't understand why you have installed to shunts in series. Can you enlighten me?

Overall a great job!

Charlie
"The Devil is in the details and so is salvation."
CharlieJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 16:40   #18

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieJ View Post
Stillraining-Excellent job.
A few fine points:
1. It appears that you have more than one conductor attached to the load side of several of the circuit breakers. I try very hard not to do this and generally will lead a single, typically AWG 10, conductor from the load side of each CB to a terminal strip where I distribute to multiple loads using jumpers on the terminal strip.
2. By combining B- (yellow) conductors on the Ship's Ground, you have made future troubleshooting a bit more difficult.
3. By not labeling the B- (yellow) conductors on the Ship's Ground, you have made future troubleshooting a bit more difficult.
4. By not labeling the Safety Ground (green) conductor on the Safety Ground Bus, you have made future troubleshooting a bit more difficult.
5. Ditto for the neutral conductors on the Neutral Bus.

I do not see the tie between the Safety Ground bus and the Vessel Ground Bus (B-) as required by ABYC Standards.

I don't understand why you have installed to shunts in series. Can you enlighten me?

Overall a great job!

Charlie
Charlie...You are asking the wrong guy these questions...I don't know half of what your asking/telling me...I know enough about electricity to get shocked real well and that's about it.

One shunt is for the Blue sea Panel and one is for the Link Pro..As far as labeling..it is what it is...

I am VERY happy with the work done, how fast it was done and the attitude in which it was done...If the Yard operated the way the sub contracted electrician did I would have been sailing a year ago.

Now..in regards to labeling every wire...is that something I can do fairly easily later?...and is it a continuity check issue for each one to do that?

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 18:02   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
The yellow and black wire situation. Yellow is the new standard for DC ground wiring B- on a boat so as to differentiate it from the black AC hot wire. You should be able to know immediately that you are looking at a DC ground wire B-. Now when you see a black wire you want to be very careful with it and assume that it is 115 volts AC until you prove that it is a DC B- wire.

As for labeling, you will have to do a continuity check on each wire. But the problem doesn't stop there. There are two wires going into each ring terminal. So, when you do a continuity check you will not know which of the two to label.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 08:44   #20

Re: Cost Estimate to Rewire

Can anyone highly recommend an excellent marine electrician in the San Diego, CA area? Thank you all!!
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2021, 15:01   #21
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I recommend Jim Dixon @ Dixon Marine: https://dixonmarineinc.com/

Superbly qualified.
Old 19-11-2021, 15:28   #22

Hi CharlieJ!
Great advice and it's close to my friend's boat so should be easy for a consultation and service.. Appreciate your time and help.. You can vouch that they are fairly priced or at least superb quality?
cheers!!
Old 20-11-2021, 06:48   #23
Commercial Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

@shadow #22:
Fairly priced [U]and[U] superb quality. Tell him Charlie sent you.
Old 20-11-2021, 07:09   #24

Thanks CharlieJ!! I always appreciate when people can give real world support to someone/something that they have experienced themselves.. I will definitely pass on the information.. I'll let you know how it all turns out. cheers!!!
Old 01-12-2021, 13:13   #25

I hope to get him on the boat this weekend to do a visual inspection of the possible job ahead.. Cheers!!!!
Old 30-12-2021, 20:21   #26

Does anyone know a marine electrician in Omaha Nebraska? Thanks.
Bguenther68106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 05:32   #27
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bguenther.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2021, 08:17   #28

Ahoy! Thank you. Not sure if I belong here yet as I'm not sure if I want to take on this 3788 that needs complete rewiring. Looking for am affordable boat to do the great loop in.
Bguenther68106 is offline   Reply With Quote