Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2020, 21:24   #1

Boat: Hylas 46
Controllers?

G'day members, been lurking for about a year and could use some direction if I may.... Not a newbie sailor, (thank goodness) Med, Indian, S. China Sea, Atlantic twice when I was younger. Now 66 and ready for the S.Pacific and beyond. Couple of years ago we picked up our Hylas 46 and now fitting her out.

Solar is completey new to me. I have read the above sticky several times...

I'm in the process of fabricating our SS stern arch and will be installing 3x 380 watts panels. I have existing Outback charger/inverter with Mate2.

I reached out to Outback, they suggest, Outback FM80 controller & Hub4, the latter so as to tie in the controller to the Mate2. I will be replacing my 4x6v Lifeline Batt. total 800amp for new ones.

My concern is the Outback FM80.... I have been informed that the Outback FM80 controller is a bit if'ie.

1. My questions is.....does anyone have this unite? and if so, feedback/thoughts??

2. Is there a census.... a better controller??

3. Is there a link, schematic diagram for 3 solar panels (parallel)?

4. Link for a good newbie solar book?

Thanks for your help!

Windswept
Don & Gloria
Windswept-windy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 21:29   #2

Re: Controllers?

I have two outback fm80s. They have been 100% solid for me. I like the infinite adjustability and information they provide. I wonder what their hub will do for you?
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 21:39   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I have two outback fm80s. They have been 100% solid for me. I like the infinite adjustability and information they provide. I wonder what their hub will do for you?
It's my understanding, the Hub4 will let me monitor the FM80 controller using the Mate2 (link FM80 to Mate2).

I like the "Solid" in your reply. Seems to me....keeping all hardware "Outback" would be a good thing?

Thanks!
Old 11-09-2020, 23:49   #4

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I have the FM80 also. It’s been running nonstop for 2 years now. No problems.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 06:25   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I have the FM80 also. It’s been running nonstop for 2 years now. No problems.
Thanks Chotu for your thumbs up regarding the FM80! Are you running your FM80 with Outback inverther/charter and a Mate2?

Fairwinds!
Old 12-09-2020, 07:04   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post
Thanks Chotu for your thumbs up regarding the FM80! Are you running your FM80 with Outback inverther/charter and a Mate2?

Fairwinds!
I’m not. It’s just the FM80 all by itself as my boat isn’t complete yet. Still finishing it.

I have a traditional LinkLite battery monitor and a completely different inverter/charger.

Everything is separate.

But my FM80 has been running for about 2 years straight keeping my FLA batteries charged.
Old 12-09-2020, 07:29   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

I have an FM60. Hasn't had a problem in 9 years and i love that is easy to understand and that can program every feature. I think looking for a”better” controller is basically nit pickng
Old 12-09-2020, 07:48   #8

Quote:
I’m not. It’s just the FM80 all by itself as my boat isn’t complete yet. Still finishing it.

I have a traditional LinkLite battery monitor and a completely different inverter/charger.

Everything is separate.

But my FM80 has been running for about 2 years straight keeping my FLA batteries charged.
I see, so your FM80s are maybe in your Nav area...so as to be visable? Just trying to figure where I will be locating controller. Thanks!
Old 12-09-2020, 08:14   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

We have MorningStar TriStar controller. We like it.

Outback has a solid reputation.

Notes on our parallel 3-panel installation.

Panels come with #8 wires. I soldered the plug connectors to the wires and jumped wires to #6 at the connector. I used silicone and shrink wrap to waterproof.

Each panel is wired first to a two pole breaker. This is safety, a convenient disconnect. Easy trouble shooting, disconnect for lightening or off season.

After the breakers, panels are ganged onto large terminals. The combined single # 2 is connected to the controller. Controller output goes to a two pole disconnect breaker before connecting to the batteries.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:19   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I have an FM60. Hasn't had a problem in 9 years and i love that is easy to understand and that can program every feature. I think looking for a”better” controller is basically nit pickng
Thanks for the feedback Sailorboy1, much appreciated. Not trying to nit pick, but, attempt to get a hands on feedback as I am getting. I bring up this issue as I have a solar guy here on the west coast whom owns "Land/sea/solar. He is or was a sailor and circumnavigated, his quote...

As for controllers and staying with one brand I think the FM80 is okay. Outback itself as a company totally sucks these days and some of their products blow up and the support and replacement help is terrible to be honest. end quote.

The above 3 lines has my concern... Thanks!
Old 12-09-2020, 08:29   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windswept-windy View Post
I see, so your FM80s are maybe in your Nav area...so as to be visable? Just trying to figure where I will be locating controller. Thanks!
Nope. I am more of a “set it and forget it” type guy. I have a dedicated electrical closet that has all that sort of stuff. The battery monitor is on the outside of that so I can see the action taking place. It shows actual amps in/out of the batteries after all charging sources and loads are accounted for. That’s what I want to see. I don’t need to see exactly what the solar is putting out.

I have also greatly oversized my solar array in terms of daily power consumption. That way, I’m not watching batteries all the time.

We just go about our routine and all is well unless something malfunctions.

Weight is very important on my boat. So it’s only a 440AH battery bank with a 1400KW (700 installed so far) solar array. Dishwasher, watermaker, laundry to be done during daylight hours. The batteries are only for some LED lights at night and running a refrigerator and freezer overnight. Otherwise, no real loads at night.

This was the most weight-efficient way to set my system up.

I may creep up to 660AH if I find freezer, refrigerator and all night of auto helm can’t comfortably be done on the 440AH bank.
Old 12-09-2020, 08:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
We have MorningStar TriStar controller. We like it.

Outback has a solid reputation.

Notes on our parallel 3-panel installation.

Panels come with #8 wires. I soldered the plug connectors to the wires and jumped wires to #6 at the connector. I used silicone and shrink wrap to waterproof.

Each panel is wired first to a two pole breaker. This is safety, a convenient disconnect. Easy trouble shooting, disconnect for lightening or off season.

After the breakers, panels are ganged onto large terminals. The combined single # 2 is connected to the controller. Controller output goes to a two pole disconnect breaker before connecting to the batteries.
Thanks heaps! So, another thumbs up regarding the Outback. I was thinking the (new to me) Outback inverter/charger on the boat was/is good as Surveyor/friend spotted my Outback one day and indicated Outback is great equipt. Needless to say, got my doubts (showing in Sailorboys reply)

Like your safety factor!
Old 12-09-2020, 08:45   #13

Quote:
Nope. I am more of a “set it and forget it” type guy. I have a dedicated electrical closet that has all that sort of stuff. The battery monitor is on the outside of that so I can see the action taking place. It shows actual amps in/out of the batteries after all charging sources and loads are accounted for. That’s what I want to see. I don’t need to see exactly what the solar is putting out.

I have also greatly oversized my solar array in terms of daily power consumption. That way, I’m not watching batteries all the time.

We just go about our routine and all is well unless something malfunctions.

Weight is very important on my boat. So it’s only a 440AH battery bank with a 1400KW (700 installed so far) solar array. Dishwasher, watermaker, laundry to be done during daylight hours. The batteries are only for some LED lights at night and running a refrigerator and freezer overnight. Otherwise, no real loads at night.

This was the most weight-efficient way to set my system up.

I may creep up to 660AH if I find freezer, refrigerator and all night of auto helm can’t comfortably be done on the 440AH bank.
Nice set up! I see a 660AH on your horizon Q. Is your watermaker DC? I have one on here (RO) which is AC, I'm thinking to swap it out for DC unite. Feedback? Thanks!
Old 12-09-2020, 08:47   #14
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

The outback controllers are fine; we still sell a few. Midnight Solar, Morningstar, Victron are great as well. As you have the Mate already I'd stick with Outback. It's true that service and support as of late have been worse than in years past. But I've had a 60FM on my boat for 7 years and no issues. Just sold it when we upgraded and went to individual Victron's on each panel but it will fine for you as long as none of the panels are shaded
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 08:47   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Welcome to the forum Windswept.

The Outback FM 60 and FM 80 are very reliable and well proven controllers. We had a solar system with an FM 60 on our old boat and it never missed a beat.

I think the Outback was the best choice when installed in our previous yacht, but since then there has been a large range of new controllers released. The availability of small, low cost, but efficient controllers with excellent tracking charging algorithms and low self consumption has made available the possibility of multiple solar controllers (often one controller per panel).

This option provides valuable redundancy and provides better tracking. This extracts slightly more solar power. This is an option worth considering, and what we have installed on our new yacht (3x Victron 100/20). There are pro and cons with both solutions (a single high quality large high capacity and extremely versatile Outback controller versus multiple lower cost Victron controllers).

If considering the single high power Outback controller also look at the rival Midnite range.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote