Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2015, 07:22   #1

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Combining two "house" banks

I got rid of the 2007 era starting battery when I bought my boat three months ago. Rather than a new starting battery, I just made the 2013-era deep cycle house battery the starting battery (it was a very small Diesel engine) and put in a new deep cycle marine battery for the house load. The batteries are right next to each other physically, and electrically are combined/separated through the typical perko switch (off 1 2 both) and also have isolator diodes so the engine alternator would charge both no matter where the switch was.
However, with the dead diesel being replaced by a pull start outboard, I no longer need a start battery in reserve.
While all my research (Calder, Internet) says that connecting batteries of different vintages is a no-no as far as battery replacement goes, would it be okay to do for a month or two until I get home and pull the 2013-era deep cycle and replace with new? I was thinking that it would just be nice to have the extra amp hours in the bank for now, and the solar setup is only charging the new battery right now so the 2013-era battery is just being wasted. Thanks!
Dan

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 07:29   #2

Re: Combining two "house" banks

Whatever charging source you are using for the second battery is being negated by the isolator. You should get rid of it, it drops almost an entire volt, so your charging is getting killed right off the bat. Calder shoulda told you...

You can use the 1-2-B switch in B ONLY when charging to do this manually.

If the new battery handles your house loads, then wait. If you charge without the isolator, then your second battery can at least get a good charge and be used as a reserve.

Good luck.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 08:16   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

To further what Stu said:
I would charge together, use each bank separately, until you can get back and make the batteries equal. You can still use both banks, just not at the same time.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:27   #4

Sorry, I left out an important detail! I have hooked up my solar system directly to the house battery's terminals (the engine battery was just there for the engine, after all). I was thinking that I would just wire the old (engine) battery to the new (house) battery so that I would have a larger house bank, and that the old battery would get the benefit of the solar charge. The old battery now is basically useless because without the Diesel engine, it has nothing to do, and no way to get charged.
The isolator diodes are inefficient, but they worked so well when the engine was working!
Thanks for the advice.

Old 24-05-2015, 09:33   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

I personally would put the switch on both and not worry about it.

There are other threads discussing this situation here if you choose to search for them.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:41   #6

Yes you can combine them. I sailed for over a year with different combined batteries with no issues. Gel and wet cell!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 09:56   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
I personally would put the switch on both and not worry about it.

It's that simple?! The threads I was reading were talking about ACRs and voltage regulators, etc. Over my head. Of course, it does make perfect sense that putting the perko on both would allow the house battery to pass the solar current it's receiving into the perko switch and on to the engine battery. I just wasn't thinking out of the box of strapping them together with copper wire which is how the installation directions showed it. Thanks everybody!

Old 24-05-2015, 09:57   #8

*reaches over and flips switch* (it's just for a little while!)

Old 24-05-2015, 11:02   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes you can combine them. I sailed for over a year with different combined batteries with no issues. Gel and wet cell!
Interesting Cheech,
I have a house bank of 450 amp-hrs, and then a starter battery. I fry my starter battery every few years when I leave the switch on both, even though they are all wet cell. I think the big alternator goes directly to the starter bat, maybe that is what is doing it.
Old 24-05-2015, 11:15   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

s/v Beth, make sure your "big" alternator is going directly to your house bank. But, maybe you are "frying" your start battery by deep discharging it when you leave them combined (most likely I think). Start batteries do not like to be deep discharged and it only takes a few cycles to ruin them. And I don't thing the discharge has to be that deep to do the nasty deed.

The OP on the other hand has stated that both of his batteries are "deep cycle marine" batteries.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 12:13   #11

put the switch to both for now.

when you get new batteries wire them direct together with a single lead to the swtich. (replace swtich with on / off one if you want)
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2015, 20:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting idea Deep. I try not to discharge below 80% at all, but maybe that is what is frying it. Going to replace with an identical house bank soon. First want to get solar up and running.
Old 25-05-2015, 07:34   #13

Boat: Beneteau First 375

For now I would lose the isolators, connect you solars to the common terminal of you perko. That way you can select either 1 or 2 and charge either battery.
I would say run on them alternately. If you run on both you are going to weaken the new battery to the state of the old one.
Sinbad51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2015, 09:56   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinbad51 View Post
For now I would lose the isolators, connect you solars to the common terminal of you perko. That way you can select either 1 or 2 and charge either battery.
I would say run on them alternately. If you run on both you are going to weaken the new battery to the state of the old one.

Ditto that!!
Getweh is offline   Reply With Quote