Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2015, 07:54   #1

Boat: Tartan 4100
Circuit breaker for Harken electric winch

Hello

I bought a boat with an harken "40" electric winch installed. To my surprise, no electric circuit breaker was installed as per Harken recommendation. Harken is selling a Harken branded 80amp circuit breaker for the said winch. My local chandlery is telling me that the Harken circuit breaker is a re-branded BlueSea circuit breaker. The BlueSea circuit breaker is cheaper than the Harken one.

Does anyone know if there is something special about the Harken circuit breaker - otherwise I'll save the money and go with BlueSea.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Pierre
sv_saillavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 07:57   #2

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
Re: Circuit breaker for Harken electric winch

It's the Blue Sea. I've installed several of them. Make sure you use the correct gauge wire for the length of the total run so as to get all the power you need from the winch without tripping the breaker.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2015, 14:25   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
It's the Blue Sea. I've installed several of them. Make sure you use the correct gauge wire for the length of the total run so as to get all the power you need from the winch without tripping the breaker.
+1 Blue Sea switch. We have one on our Tartan...
D.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 05:40   #4

Boat: Tartan 4100

Thanks for the info... Much appreciated

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
sv_saillavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:01   #5

Thumbs up Re: Circuit breaker for Harken electric winch

You can also use a buss bar fuse[any elect store] with one flat bar on each end. Tap it with for a machine screw [any size] insert inline from power and tape well. Carry a spare! Improvise-- that is what sailing is all about, being self sufficient without the big box store.
dahshore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 14:19   #6

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahshore View Post
You can also use a buss bar fuse[any elect store] with one flat bar on each end. Tap it with for a machine screw [any size] insert inline from power and tape well. Carry a spare! Improvise-- that is what sailing is all about, being self sufficient without the big box store.
This is some advice that's better ignored except in an emergency to get to a place to buy proper parts. Why not spend $10 more and get a proper fuse holder? And remember, you can't replace a blown fuse as easily or quickly as you can reset a circuit breaker.

Tags
electric, Harken, winch