Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2021, 18:46   #1

CHINS LiFePO4 lirthium battery on Amazon? good for house battery?

Hello all:
I currently have 4 golf cart batteries in series/parallel to make a battery bank that is 460AH at 12 volts. This has worked well in my boat and another set in my van. However, after 3 years of neglect the boat batteries are dead. I know the best Lithium are the Battle Born, or Renogy, etc.... but what about these:

https://www.amazon.com/CHINS-LiFePO4...cx_mr_hp_atf_m

do any of you knowledgable ones know if this will be a good/bad replacement for my current golf cart bank? I will be in warm waters of Bahamas and Florida for a 6 month cruise. Thanks in advance...
edhuckle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 07:48   #2

Re: CHINS LiFePO4 lirthium battery on Amazon? good for house battery?

Here's of the 100Ah and 200Ah versions by Will Prowse. I don't think anyone has published a teardown of the 300Ah yet. There are

several threads on Chins (including discussion of the 300Ah) over on the diysolarforum,

AFAIK there are two limitations which may not apply in your use case:

1. IIRC Chins does not have charging cold-shutoff enabled. My reading suggests the BMS is capable of it, but the common-port BMS uses a single control to shut off charge/discharge, and the mfg didn't want to shut off discharge at freezing at the same time. I think they do have a heated/BT model; I don't know if that BMS is different. Of course, in warm waters it doesn't matter.

2. the larger Chins sometimes have discharge current limits less than 1C. e.g. 300Ah model is listed as 200A discharge max.
secessus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2021, 16:52   #3

Boat: C&C 34

I bought one of these for my dad's 12v trolling motor on his aluminum boat. Works great for that, but do not think I would want to count on it as my main power.

If you look around I think SOK sells one for a little more but much higher quality.

https://www.amazon.com/SOK-Battery-A...80317002&psc=1

Pretty sure they have a marine version too. Check Will's forum out.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 18:22   #4

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36

I have three of them in my house bank since Spring. I tested each for capacity at a .05C rate, and they surpassed their rating by 3%. So far they have been great. I recognize the need to be sure they are not charged below 32F, but that is avoidable on my boat. The bigger concern is that they are sealed, and if one cell goes bad, it’s toast. As long as they stay in balance, they will be fine. I wish I had their “Smart” version with Bluetooth BMS to be able to keep an eye on cell balance, but those were twice the price. I decided to take the chance with the “Dumb” version. I do wish I had more information on how it’s passive balancing operates.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2021, 19:44   #5

+1 for Will's channel and forum - metric boatloads of good info.
soopad00pa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery, lifepo4