Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-06-2020, 09:12   #1

Boat: SEAHAWK 48 ketch
Charging solution needed!

Hello everyone, I have an Erickson 27. With a 48v electric conversion. I’m a newbie and would like to have a bit more range. I’m looking for a charging solution. I have 4 lifeline 8D’s. Wired in series. I’ve been told if I put panel on my boat. It would fry one of my batteries. (The one hooked to it) and that I would need a “solar panel regulator “ I thought that this is what a charge controller would do. Ultimately the solar guy said that my budget (2000-3000) was not possible. I’m pretty sure I’m just” pees on His plate”. And I can understand that. But I’m sure one of you smart people out there have ‘been there done that’. Thanks in advance for any help/anecdotal info you give.
Bmorgan562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 00:36   #2

Boat: 31ft tank
Re: Charging solution needed!

A solar regulator is a charge controller.

How much area do you have to fit solar panels?

Do you normally dock at a marina with power?

How much range do you currently have?

How much range do you consider the minimum?
Cowpoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2020, 01:18   #3

Re: Charging solution needed!

You can’t hook a panel to one of your batteries. You need to charge all 4 at 48v. You’ll need a 48v charge controller. Which means your Solar array will have to be well over 48v. Otherwise you’ll need a boosting controller of some sort.

Either that or solar charge your house bank. And then get a dc - dc charger for house 12v? to 48v bank
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging