Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2017, 16:38   #1

Boat: Delphia 37
Charging Profile Recommendation

I've installed a new ProMariner ProNautic 1240 battery charger (same as Sterling ProCharge Ultra) and as a overly compulsive internet search junkie I'm trying to align the charging profile to my batteries - West Marine AGM's (aka Deka/East Penn). My quandary is the battery recommendation is frankly rather vague:

Quote:
Charge Voltage
For both 8A & 8G batteries the following voltage settings
should be followed:
Charge / Absorption / Equalize
13.80V to 14.60V @ 77°F (25°C)
Float / Standby
13.50V + .01 @ 77°F (25°C)
The charger must be able to maintain the system voltage
within ± 0.5% of the desired level at all times.
Question #1 is with the range of Charge / Absorption / Equalize
13.80V to 14.60V what makes sense to pick? More is always better?

Being none of the ProMariner profiles aligned with the 13.50V Float (closest was 13.7V from memory) and Charge closest option was 14.60V (the batteries had a sticker with a warning 14.60V was max) I made a custom profile of 13.5V Float and 14.5V Charge - this seem right? Go for 14.6?

Question #2 is do I need to try and factor in voltage drop into the equation? e.g. purposely set the charger higher to offset any voltage drop. Not 100% sure how I go about figuring voltage drop (test at the charger and then at the batteries during charging?) how wrong is it to tweak things to makeup for the drop? This sounds like a bad but viable idea.

Yes I know I should rip out all the wiring and redo things to eliminate any voltage drop but fishing boat wiring at the moment seems daunting.

Thanks!
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 17:59   #2

Re: Charging Profile Recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by marty9876 View Post
..................and as a overly compulsive internet search junkie I'm trying to align the charging profile to my batteries - West Marine AGM's (aka Deka/East Penn).
Sure was vague, understand your issue.

For your search unkie side, try Balmar | Marine Charging Systems | Battery Monitors | Multi-Stage Voltage Regulators | High Power Alternators | Serpentine Pulley Conversions and download any of their alternator regulator manuals, a good most recent one is the MC-614. Since regulators need to be programmed the same way as your very good charger, they have profiles for many different types of batteries.

Voltage drop: your approach is sensible.

I don't recall if Maine Sail included any profiles in his original writeup on your charger. If you don't have that, here it is:

Wiring a new charger From Maine Sail:

http://forums.sailboatowners.com/ind...5/#post-880275 and

Installing A Marine Battery Charger Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 18:16   #3

Boat: Delphia 37

Thanks Stu. Maine Sail lists East Penn/Deka = 14.6V & 13.6V which I was surprised the manual said something different which created some confusion. I had to email the company for the manual as I could not find them online, maybe there is a mix-up someplace. Huge shout out to Maine Sail, without his guides I would now know half of what I'm doing is all wrong Such a wonderful source of information for us all.

I've read the MC-614 manual in anticipation of buying one, good recommendation to use it as a reference for all things charging related. I'm also confused on if I get solar and different controllers which are not adjustable (e.g. Gensun) what is "close enough".
marty9876 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 20:09   #4
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Simple, make customization a requirement in your choice of controller, no reason to compromise there.

You may replace the current bank with a different chemistry in future.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2017, 22:55   #5

no you don't adjust for voltage drop. if you did. and say at 40a it was droping 0.5 volt. so you set it 0.5v higher. as the battery charges and the charge drops to 5a. now the batteries are cooking 0.5v higher as you no longer have voltage drop at 5a.

wire correctly so you don't have voltage drop. I would use the 3% table for chargers
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging, men