Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2022, 16:13   #16

Boat: A Thistle and a Hallberg-Rassy 36
Re: Charging on/off switches - needed?

I cobbled together a switch box that does two things:

1. An On-Off-On switch that directs ignition 12V to either the Balmar external regulator, or to the Balmar 600 series alternator's internal regulator, or in the off position to neither so that there is no alternator charging of the lithium bank.

2. An On-Off switch to the Balmar regulator that shorts the alternator temp sensor and forces the regulator to small motor, or half power mode.

This will allow me to control the SOC of the lithium bank while motoring, making it easier to switch off the alternator and leave the lithium bank at 50% to 60% when leaving the boat for a prolonged period, and for letting the alternator take the bank up to 100% only occasionally to allow for passive cell balancing.

Very true that managing a lithium bank for maximum longevity takes more thought and care than needed for a lead acid bank, but for me the tradeoff is more than worth it.
SoonerSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging