Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-03-2014, 13:30   #1

Boat: Catalina 30
Charging 3 banks?

I'm looking at possibly getting a small aluminum fishing boat and was thinking of how I would set up the batteries. My idea would be to have a 3 bank system consisting of a house battery for all loads except the trolling motor, a trolling motor battery, and a reserve "emergency" starting battery should I deplete the house battery using the radio, live well tanks etc....

Is there a way to charge all 3 off the alternator when the engine is running? Can you put 2 duo chargers off of the house battery? One going to the trolling batt and the other to the starting batt. Are there better ways to do this?

I know I am way over thinking this for a small fishing boat but it would be something I would want to accomplish if I end up getting it.

Thank you in advance!!
Old 04-03-2014, 14:28   #2

Boat: Mainship Pilot 34
Re: Charging 3 banks?

Well, first off you are better with only two banks- one for start and one for house and trolling motor. You can then use one Duo Charger, Echo Charger, ACR, or combiner to charge the other one.

But if you insist on three banks, Yandina makes inexpensive combiners. Two can be ganged up to charge 3 banks. Go to www.yandina.com.

David
djmarchand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 07:01   #3

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
Well, first off you are better with only two banks- one for start and one for house and trolling motor.
Thank you for the info and the website.

I understand what you are saying but the trolling motor draws so much power it really needs its own bank. From what I've found they can draw between 40-50 amps at full power depending on the size of the motor.
Old 05-03-2014, 08:37   #4
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: Philip Rhodes Custom

If you need added capacity for the trolling motor, rather than dedicate a separate battery to it, just put the extra battery in parallel with the house battery. Now the batteries will share the load which has 3 advantages.
First the lower current on each battery will increase efficiency and not waste charge.
Second, by reducing the depth of discharge you will considerably extend battery life.
Third is you only need one Combiner, the whole job is done for under $65.
Andina Marie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charging