Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 11:04   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Charger & Shore Power Device

Does anyone have experience with these or the company's Chargers?

Marinebeam Website - Cristec 2-in-1 Shore Power 25A Charger
Cristec Website - other Shore Power xxA Charger models

The reason I am interested in this is because we have a rudimentary 120vdc system from 1981 and this device would provide the shore power functions in a small package + charging, with easier & fewer installation issues due to some severe space restrictions. I have been considering at the Sterling Pro Ultra Charge and ProMariner ProNautic P series.

Are the Shore Power functions difficult to do separately? I like the variable shore power input features.

BTW Cristec also offers relays/alarm no/nc contacts and CANbus intergrated.

I had been looking at MarineBeam LED Nav lights (great resource) and and saw some impressive videos of their very quiet and effficient MarineKinetix MK4+ wind generator Is any one familiar with these units?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2018, 11:27   #2

Re: Charger & Shore Power Device

It looks like the 2 in 1 uses dip switches to set the battery type and then a potentiometer is adjusted.

Quote:
The installer should set the switches (excluding input and output voltage) and possibly adjust the output voltage with no load using potentiometer R432 (use the appropriate tool to turn the screw of the potentiometer), depending on :
- the type of battery (contact the battery manufacturer if necessary)
- the intended usage
- the cross-section and length of the output cables
- whether or not the boost function is required

I don't know if this is good enough.

What is required for us on the AC side?
Old 16-06-2018, 12:53   #3

Interesting idea for small boats with no space. And no existing shore power that want to add a charger.

On a real boat I would stick to a proper ac panel that you can access somewhere convenient.

With a 16a main breaker and 10a branch breakers. Those units are designed for European 230v power.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 02:01   #4

I have no AC panel, just 30 amp marine shore power, to a breaker in the port locker with a polarity device, then there are (2) 120 vac receptacles in the boat. We only use these occasionally and do not really miss or need much else as we anchor or on a mooring most of the time.
Where would I find out what is required now? (Maybe I don't want to know!)
Old 17-06-2018, 04:28   #5

I have no experience with the items you are asking about, but I have been very pleased with the Marine beam lights that I have installed.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 05:02   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Rick,

It appears the unit is only available in 16A AC version. Their French->English translation could be better. But it means you might have some risk plugging this into a 30A shore outlet. Most systems want to see upstream breakers sized for the downstream capability. If you installed a 15A breaker in front of this device that would make it ok to use. But it kind of defeats the elegance of the device.

It looks like a good piece of kit. But just remember that your entire AC distribution and shore charging are wrapped up in a single device. So not a lot of redundancy.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 05:31   #7
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

This from the US RV industry

http://www.bestconverter.com/4000-Se...ter_c_138.html
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 13:11   #8

Thanks TDan, for your eval and pointers on the Cristec 2in1 Shorepower unit. I would need a 30amp version which drives the price up considerably.

smacc99 wrote
Quote:
On a real boat I would stick to a proper ac panel that you can access somewhere convenient.
Smacc I accept you aren't trolling. I can assure you it is a real boat, designed by Ted Hood 1969. It is not beamy., and it is also short with no Nav station, has a lovely cabin, stays on a mooring, is well behaved and does not drink much 120vac.

I wish I could find a spot for a very small AC panel (30amp Main and maybe two 15amp circuits). Is that what I would need? Plus the polarity device? I think it should be in a completely different location than they DC panel. I could just renovate the few 120vac bits that are there and then get an appropriate DC Charger.

slowneasy your confirmation of the Marinebeam LED Nav is very helpful. They are the best designed LED Nav lights I have seen for this purpose. Don't know why Perko can't design a decent one.

John, Thank you for the RV Best Converter link. I an going to have to study it.
Old 17-06-2018, 13:32   #9

for a separate panel. something like this. https://www.bluesea.com/products/804...s_AC_Voltmeter

under current code you are surposed to have a ELCI main breaker. but they are still rare on boats
https://www.bluesea.com/products/810...with_Voltmeter

the charger is likly going to be near the batteries. likly not where you want the AC panel. the ac panel should be somewhere in the cabin so you can turn things on and off. the main breaker should be turned on and off each time the boat is plugged in / unplugged. so shouldn't be too hidden
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2018, 13:51   #10

Thanks TDan, for your eval and pointers on the Cristec 2in1 Shorepower unit. I would need a 30amp version which drives the price up considerably.

smacc99 wrote

Quote:
Smacc I accept you aren't trolling. I can assure you it is a real boat, designed by Ted Hood 1969. It is not beamy., and it is also short with no Nav station, has a lovely cabin, stays on a mooring, is well behaved and does not drink much 120vac.

I wish I could find a spot for a very small AC panel (30amp Main and maybe two 15amp circuits). Is that what I would need? Plus the polarity device? I think it should be in a completely different location than they DC panel. I could just renovate the few 120vac bits that are there and then get an appropriate DC Charger.

slowneasy your confirmation of the Marinebeam LED Nav is very helpful. They are the best designed LED Nav lights I have seen for this purpose. Don't know why Perko can't design a decent one.

John, Thank you for the RV Best Converter link. I an going to have to study it.
Old 17-06-2018, 14:15   #11

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

I will never buy anything from Marinebeam again. All the navigation lights we bought from them failed in under 6 months of cruising. The red and green navigation lights leaked water so bad they didn't make 1 month. One LED light caused so much interference that our VHF was rendered useless (right out of the box). When we contacted them about it, they said "Yes, its a known problem, we will send you a different model". Then they continued to sell the "known problem" model on thier website for months after that.

Maybe the charger would be better, but I wouldn't risk my money. Many other places to spend my money that offer quality products.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
charger, shore power