Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2007, 09:11   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Cathodic Protection Systems

Down on this page.

BetterPerformaceParts

???
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:42   #2
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Well, I took a look.. and the "kit" has more parts to install and monitor than zincs I have onboard...

I'll pass

208 Installation Kits include:

Controller - with color coded display, should be mounted in highly visible location - 6 1/4"L x 3 3/4"H x 2 3/8"D
Anode Studs - Two 3/8" x 5"L insulated brass anode mounting studs with hardware
Reference Cell - Should be installed under hull near a protected fitting - 8"L x 2 3/4"W x 1"D (outside hull) - two mounting studs
Sense Brushes - 3/4"W x 13 5/8"L shaft wiper assembly(s) - for sensing shaft and prop protection level
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:49   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Running an aluminum boat for a living, I looked into such a system. I was strongly advised not to install such a system because when they do fail, they can cause an enormous amount of corrosion to the hull and other metal parts.

Zinc anodes either work or they don't...in no way will they ever actively damage a hull or other metal parts.

Cathodic protection works by creating a voltage opposite to that of the voltage generated by two different metals in an electrolyte (the water your boat sits in). Some people have used it successfully but I don't think is worth the risk...not when the zincs are already doing a good job.

The sensors that measure the voltage created by electrolysis can and do fail...giving the cathodic system a false measurement, resulting in damage.

Call the manufacturer and see if they will put in writing that they will pay 100% of the damages if their system fails or actively damages the metal. I think we already know the answer.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 09:52   #4

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickm505 View Post
Well, I took a look.. and the "kit" has more parts to install and monitor than zincs I have onboard...

I'll pass

208 Installation Kits include:

Controller - with color coded display, should be mounted in highly visible location - 6 1/4"L x 3 3/4"H x 2 3/8"D
Anode Studs - Two 3/8" x 5"L insulated brass anode mounting studs with hardware
Reference Cell - Should be installed under hull near a protected fitting - 8"L x 2 3/4"W x 1"D (outside hull) - two mounting studs
Sense Brushes - 3/4"W x 13 5/8"L shaft wiper assembly(s) - for sensing shaft and prop protection level

Thanks!!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:29   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
I made my own system on my previous boat. It consisted of a silver coin

(back in the day that USA actually had REAL money but don't get me started!)

mounted underwater on a polyethelene insulating sheet. This was bedded to the hull and soldered on the back side to a wire which went through the hull and was connected to the bonding wire, thereby serving as a reference to the bonded thruhull system.

The main zinc for the boat was connected in series with a 20 ohm wirewound potentiometer.

An analog 1 ma meter movement was calibrated so half scale was about 0.7 volts. Normally the meter would read about in the middle of the scale when we were anchored, but it read less when underway. I could instantly see if we had enough zinc, and could adjust the bonding system voltage with the pot. It was simple, cheap and effective.

Steve B.
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 11:25   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
I made my own system on my previous boat. It consisted of a silver coin

(back in the day that USA actually had REAL money but don't get me started!)

mounted underwater on a polyethelene insulating sheet. This was bedded to the hull and soldered on the back side to a wire which went through the hull and was connected to the bonding wire, thereby serving as a reference to the bonded thruhull system.

The main zinc for the boat was connected in series with a 20 ohm wirewound potentiometer.

An analog 1 ma meter movement was calibrated so half scale was about 0.7 volts. Normally the meter would read about in the middle of the scale when we were anchored, but it read less when underway. I could instantly see if we had enough zinc, and could adjust the bonding system voltage with the pot. It was simple, cheap and effective.

Steve B.
Nice idea for measuring what is left of your anodes. I had a similar system..but more expensive and complex. I like your system better though because of it's simplicity. We all know that the more complex, the more likely it is to break.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote