Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-05-2023, 00:17   #1

Catalina 30 tall mast with spreader lights and strobe wiring diagram.

Greetings all,

I had it on my winter to-do list to sort out why one spreader light was out. Well, as it goes, it's spring and it is now my before launch list. When I searched on mast wiring diagram, none that came up that addressed spreader lights and the strobe I have on the masthead fixture. So, it was off to the rigging shop with a battery pack, allocator clips and kneepads to sort out the wiring. Attached is my, all singing, all dancing, wiring diagram. Note, I didn't include wire colours because most of the cables had heat shrink at the ends to the plugs. As a previous owner of a British Leyland product (1978 TR7), I am used to not paying attention to wire colours. If you recognise the joke in that, you understand. LOL. So, find attached my contribution to the collective.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Mast Light Wiring_230501.pdf (418.1 KB, 78 views)
Seoladair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 03:12   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Catalina 30 tall mast with spreader lights and strobe wiring diagram.

Why is your first concern the wiring?

You already checked or replaced the bulb I guess and checked/cleaned the socket.

And checked the wiring where it attaches to the socket.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 04:05   #3

Boat: Beneteau 423

I gather your post is intended to provide a resource for others and not seeking advice. However I will say that all those pinned connectors look like an invitation to corrosion and failure. I would use something to seal out the water. Maybe Boeshield T-9 and heat shrink over the connector.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2023, 05:31   #4

Hello Thomm225. Well, as hlevoo caught on, I was not looking for help per se, just contributing. I didn't find a wiring diagram so I made one and shared.
And, yes, the first thing I did was check the bulbs. I had to do it from the spreader plug as one of the luminary casing was stuck shut and I couldn't unscrew the bezel.

To hlev00's comment, yes a lot of plugs. We are plying the waves of freshwater lakes not dealing with costal salt. So, I've not had a problem in previous years for the 5-6 months connected. And, as we step the mast every other year, plugs are a necessary evil. I just make sure to slather a bit of bulb grease into the female sockets and plug face. If I heat shrink the connectors, the riggers will just cut the wires or pull the wires out of the plugs.

The problem by the way, was a wire pulled-out of one of the socket terminals.
Old 08-05-2023, 05:41   #5

Also, I had it on my list to figure out why the Datamarine LX-360 wind machine was not working. And yes Thomm225, I did check the masthead unit at the deck connection first. I discovered the riggers pulled the masthead Amphenol plug apart instead of releasing it by the threaded collar, probably the last time the mast was off. So, last year the riggers probably didn't connect it because the collar was on the wrong side of the plug unit and the connection could not be made, so they just left it.

Not too much of a loss, I usually just work with tell-tails on my standing rigging and sails to manage. But, I do like when everything is working properly.

Tags
catalina, catalina 30, mast, wiring