Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-11-2018, 15:31   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Carbon Fiber Wind Generator Mast

Hi all,

We are in the process of buying a new boat that does not have a wind gen, which we want to add. Our current boat has a wind gen and a stainless steel mast that is a beast.... weighs a ton.

I was thinking that I would rather go with lightweight components on the new boat since it’s much more performance oriented, including a carbon fiber wind generator mast. However I don’t know if carbon fiber tubes are an appropriate selection for a wind generator or the details on how you would spec out the mast.

Looking for feedback...

-z
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 16:38   #2

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft
Re: Carbon Fiber Wind Generator Mast

I found a sail board mast on the rubbish dump and brought it home as I have wondered if that would make a wind generator mast. (the wind generators I have looked at are quite light). The mast is f/g, slightly bendy and light-weight.

Maybe that is the way to go?

Clive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp sailboard mast.JPG
Views:	208
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	179995  
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 16:52   #3

Boat: Seafarer36c

We have a large wind generator and it's mounted on a 1 1/2"seamless SS tube with a wall thickness of only .060". It's light.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 17:09   #4

Boat: Nonsuch 36

I did what you are thinking about but probably in a different setting. The fiberglass (not even carbon) tube I used is about 5ft length and on top of my mizzen mast. It holds an Air Breeze. The fiberglass tube is in a foot which has a supporting 3 inch collar. That's it, no wires or other supports.

It's been up there for 3 years. Atlantic crossing included. I did not worry about the strength of the fiberglass tube at all, once I tested it...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	glasfiber.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	4.3 KB
ID:	179996  
Standbly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 17:34   #5

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

Aluminum would also work. Carbon fiber would be lighter but not as durable or crush resistant.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 18:08   #6

Stanbly is right. For smaller items, the difference in weight between carbon fiber and fiberglass is pretty negligible (you just have to make the fiberglass thicker to match the carbon rigidity) while the cost difference is significant.

Now, passerelles, biminis, and other larger structures greatly benefit from going carbon as the weight difference will be larger.

Here's a great video describing the difference between the materials regarding strength and stiffness:
Thalas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 18:53   #7

Boat: Lock Crowther 150

Name:	IMG_0323.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	179998Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0195.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	179999

I laid up a 12’ carbon pole over a 3” PVC pipe that was used as a mold. 3’ of the pole is buried below the deck and glassed to the inside of the hull. I haven’t weighed it, but I’d guess it’s about 15-20 lbs.
The pole probably cost about $350 in material and a couple days of work, but it’s a fairly easy project. I looked at buying a carbon tube, but they were all well over a boat buck.
Another option is to find a broken carbon mast from a beach cat or something with a similar size section.
I have a broken M32 mast that I was as going to use, but looked too large to be esthetically pleasing.
mrybas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:22   #8

Boat: Lagoon 42, Minx

Sailboard masts are designed to carry the forces of the sail in decreasing amounts as you go from the base towards the top, with additional rush reinforcement in the expected area of the boom attachment Also for gust control, the mast will frequently be manufactured to be more flexible at the top. Either or both features are undesirable in a wind generator mast. The last thing you want is a wind generator whipping around.
singlespeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 09:57   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I raced across the North Atlantic on a 40' trimaran with an AirX on a carbon fiber windsurfer mast. The struts were made from carbon hockey sticks. Worked fine.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 11:57   #10

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Astréa 42.

Interesting ideas !
Anybody can tell us if it is more or less prone to transmitting the vibrations ?
Luc bulterys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 17:49   #11

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by singlespeed View Post
Sailboard masts are designed to carry the forces of the sail in decreasing amounts as you go from the base towards the top, with additional rush reinforcement in the expected area of the boom attachment Also for gust control, the mast will frequently be manufactured to be more flexible at the top. Either or both features are undesirable in a wind generator mast. The last thing you want is a wind generator whipping around.
Singlespeed

Looking at the mast I have the wind generator wouldn't whip around as you'd only use the bottom half which would be quite stiff. But I agree with you, you need to keep it as steady as possible.

However many people mount them on top of their mizzen mast - hardly a stable platform in an even moderate sea.

Wind speeds at the masthead can be 50 percent greater than at sea level due to wind shear, so the higher up you put it, the more power you’ll get. Of course, the pendulum effect of a moving boat means that putting a wind generator higher up will increase the effects of pitch and roll

Clive
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 14:57   #12

Aluminium tube would be nearly as light and much cheaper.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:22   #13

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

My problem with Aluminum is the look. I don't want a mashup of stainless and aluminum. I like the idea of laying up a little carbon fiber around a fiberglass pole. What would that layup look like?
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:28   #14

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Why go through all that hassle when it has already been done for you? Get a windsurfer mast and two carbon hockey sticks. Voila.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:29   #15

Boat: Freedom 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrybas View Post
Attachment 179998Attachment 179999

I laid up a 12’ carbon pole over a 3” PVC pipe that was used as a mold. 3’ of the pole is buried below the deck and glassed to the inside of the hull. I haven’t weighed it, but I’d guess it’s about 15-20 lbs.
The pole probably cost about $350 in material and a couple days of work, but it’s a fairly easy project. I looked at buying a carbon tube, but they were all well over a boat buck.
Another option is to find a broken carbon mast from a beach cat or something with a similar size section.
I have a broken M32 mast that I was as going to use, but looked too large to be esthetically pleasing.
Nice work. Did you remove the PVC pipe? And if yes, details.

Tags
generator, mast, wind, wind generator