Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2010, 11:50   #1

Can Solar Vents Run in the Rain ?

looking for vetilation options while sailing, what works for you.
otherthan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 11:56   #2

I have one of those nicro day/night vents for my composting head. It runs in the rain just fine. It has a lip that's about 3/4" above the deck, so it will keep typical rain out that's running down the deck. There's a greenwater shut off as well, but I've never used it although I've had a couple of smashed waves. Not pure blocks of water, but enough to flood the side decks. No drops got in below.

It doesn't vent that much though. My dorade vent allows a lot more air through, although no when the wind stops and/or not when underway.

The day/night solar vents are good for ventilation in general (and keeping compartment moisture down by venting out), but aren't going to make a hot boat cool.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 12:45   #3

lets say I instal one day-night vent on top of my V-berth hatch...will this circulate the air from the chain locker?...or should I instal the solar fan directly on deck near my chain pip?

I will instal a dorade near the companion way hatch to exaust air.
Old 01-12-2010, 13:31   #4

You'd want to put it directly over the chain locker unless the chain locker is fully exposed to the v berth. It will do something for the ground tackle compartment if you put it somewhere else, but not much.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 14:22   #5

chain locker is exposed to V-berth...but I whant to close it soon...how about instaling it right after where my v_berth ends?
Old 02-12-2010, 06:42   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Note that the construction of the older style Nicro Solar vent will, generally, disallow water intrusion from rain etc but it will not prevent intrusion if one takes green water on deck and, unless, fastened in place (most are not) can be lifted out by the force of a boarding sea. We used one in the fashion you describe but removed in and inserted the cap when under-way. It was our experience that the day-night version will run roughly 36 hours in dim overcast conditions before the battery is exhausted.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote