Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2018, 04:23   #31

Re: Can DC to DC Convertors ruin your battery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin A View Post
Me personally I would run the electronics directly off the converter and have on-on switch to switch over to the battery if it failed.
Why don't you do what Colin here suggests.
Disconnect the converter from the battery and connect it to the 12v instruments and electronics. This way the battery is only used for starting the generator.

I guess you have to buy a new agm as well, but this time its only starting the generator. (also check the generator charging is not going over 14.7)

I think that if the generator is not charging at over 14.7v and the starter battery only starts the generator and the converter powers the 12v loads and the converter is not connected to the battery and that there is a switch to connect the 12v loads to the battery only in the event that the converter failed, that everything will work fine and the battery will last 6+ years.
Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 06:32   #32

Boat: Former owner of a Valiant V40
Re: Can DC to DC Convertors ruin your battery?

How about running a solar MPPT charge controller between your DC-DC converter and the 12v battery? Controller doesn't care what it's DC source is, just get one with the current and charging capabilities you need.
jamhass is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery