Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-02-2011, 20:09   #1

Cable Lug Stud Size Rating

Ordered a Blue Seas Safety Hub fuse block that has provisions for up to 4) 200A fuses (170A load). The cable load terminal studs at each of these is a #10 screw.

Question:

Does the size of the stud have any effect on the circut? I looked at the cable lug connectors and see that a #10 stud hole size is available for a 4AWG cable, yet a 4AWG is not rated to support a 170A load. Not following how one would connect a cable connector end to the fuseblock for the size of wire to meet the possible max AMP rating of each circut, if a connector is not available.

I will be running 2 circuts of 4AWG to this fuse block, but only using 100A and 70A fuses, so not a real concern. But more so for the knowlege base.
Thanks
US1Fountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 09:00   #2

Rereading my post, I think I left out the details for my question.

In order to take full advantage of the max fuse rating of 200A, load rating 170A, a wire size of 2AWG would be required. Yet there is no connector for a 2AWG with a #10 screw hole. They start out at 1/4" screw hole size.
Old 15-02-2011, 16:03   #3

Boat: Taswell 49
I had similar trouble finding 0/2 Lugs for 1/4" fasteners as the local chandleries did not carry. Ended up getting them through a local marine electrician. Not sure where he sourced from. Have you tried Blues Seas? Or Possibly Anchor.

Looking here it appears you are correct.

Heavy Duty Lugs | Marinco

I would ask Blue Seas they are generally pretty good folks ot deal with.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 16:31   #4

Boat: 1972 Tartan 34C Fleur De Mer
You could run each of the 4 AWG to a power post next to the HUB then connect the power post to the hub with 6 guage wire (ampacity 120 @ 105C) for the 100 amp circuit and 8 guage ( ampacity 80A @ 105C) for the 70 amp ciruit , keep the connecting run less than 7 inches and make sure you cover the power post if it is on the Positive side.
CDunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2011, 16:44   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Escape Plan View Post
I had similar trouble finding 0/2 Lugs for 1/4" fasteners as the local chandleries did not carry. Ended up getting them through a local marine electrician. Not sure where he sourced from. Have you tried Blues Seas? Or Possibly Anchor.

Looking here it appears you are correct.

Heavy Duty Lugs | Marinco

I would ask Blue Seas they are generally pretty good folks ot deal with.
Both FTZ and Quick Cable make excellent heavy duty lugs with 5/16" stud sizes in 2/0 and I suspect that is an industry standard... The Ancor lugs they sell these days really are crap comparatively speaking. In 1-2 GA you can get 1/4".

This is what a true heavy duty cast lug looks like. They will have the color codes and will be marked.

Difference between a cheap stamped lug and a true heavy duty cast lug:
Old 16-02-2011, 08:13   #6

Boat: Taswell 49
Thanks for the tip on FTZ lugs. FWIW the anchor lugs I have been using dont look anything like the untinned ones in your photo on the left. The FTZ lugs do look thicker but thats about the only difference I can see. Will probbaly use the FTZ lugs in the future. Thanks,

Although none of this answers the OP's question of where to find lugs for 2AWG wire and #10 fasteners or why the fuse block is rated for 200amps but has #10 studs?
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 08:57   #7

No problem. All info is appreciated.

Maine Sail,
Is that non tinned lug the same as the regular cable lugs (non HD) that one could buy from Guinedealz that are also tinned, or is the one pictured even thinner? Appears to be like a cheap lug that is commonly seen in automotive stores. I have always used the regular lugs from Genuinedealz, but believe they are somewhat in the middle of the 2 pictured above. I purchased a Greenlee 8-1/0 crimper and not sure if it will work with the HD lugs. Thanks
Old 16-02-2011, 09:12   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45DS
+1 on Genuinedealz.com I found them to be excellent and they will professionally crimp the lugs on for you for a nominal fee (about $1 I think).

Duncan
duncan_ellison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 09:48   #9

Boat: Tartan, 41 TOCK- Bear
another +1 for genuinedealz. Great prices lots of stuff.
Thanks
Ed
EddieS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2011, 13:45   #10

Wire ampacity ratings vary significantly depending on temperature rating of the cable insulation and whether the wire is a single conductor or with other conductors in a bundle, conduit or cable jacket. #4awg as a single conductor with temp rating of 125°C is good for 170 amps (outside of engine space). That said, putting a large cable and lug like this under a #10 screw is not a good way to do it in my professional opinion unless you take great care in securing the cable properly to remove any strain on this connection.

Eric
fairbank56 is offline   Reply With Quote