Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2016, 17:12   #1

Bypass solar controller

so my Blue Sky MPPT controller self destructed. I'm waiting to hear if the mfr will replace it. In the meantime, a question. Is it ok to connect the 280 watt panel directly to the battery (about 240 ah) for monitored charging in an emergency (failed controller) situation. I'm thinking the 30 v panel output will drop to battery voltage and the current will not exceed the panel's max. 8 amps which should not hurt the battery if I do not let the system voltage get over 14.6 or so.
Vivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 17:16   #2

Re: Bypass solar controller

Don't do it, you'll fry your batteries.

Installing A Small Marine Solar System Photo Gallery by Compass Marine How To at pbase.com

Scroll down and read "Do I need a Controller?"
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 17:24   #3

Boat: Sabre 38

You won't go wrong following the advice of Maine Sail and Stu Jackson. In this case, you'll actually screw something up if you ignore it. You'll have to wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2016, 23:35   #4

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Stu, what harm will come from such usage if he monitors voltage and current? As he says, the panel voltage will be dropped to some reasonable value, and the max output of the panels will be less than 8 amps.

The reason I ask is that I have a bypass switch on our main controller, and we have it switched out for most all situations. Our Vmax is lower (~20 volts) and our bank a bit larger (440 ah), but I can't see what harm he will do... care to explain? We've been doing this for many years!

Jim
Old 24-05-2016, 05:10   #5

Boat: Catalina 470

What type of batteries? I'm no expert but if they are deep cycle lead acid batteries and the voltage dosent sit above 14.6 I don't think you'll do any harm....I wouldn't do this permanently, there is a reason we have regulators. I'd be more cautious with other types of batteries.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 05:55   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivid View Post
so my Blue Sky MPPT controller self destructed. I'm waiting to hear if the mfr will replace it. In the meantime, a question. Is it ok to connect the 280 watt panel directly to the battery (about 240 ah) for monitored charging in an emergency (failed controller) situation. I'm thinking the 30 v panel output will drop to battery voltage and the current will not exceed the panel's max. 8 amps which should not hurt the battery if I do not let the system voltage get over 14.6 or so.
You can do that in an emergency situation so long as it is closely monitored. You essentially become the solar controller. You do lose a proper absorption cycle but in an emergency you just need some juice so run the batts to 14.6V then disconnect the array.....
Old 24-05-2016, 06:23   #7

I just had the same problem with a Blue Sky 2000E controller failure after 13 years. Hooked 390 watts of 12v solar panels to 800Ah of batteries until the new controller arrived. There's not a whole lot of bright sun now in Panama, but the batteries never even got to 14.5.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
svinshallah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
solar