Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2017, 14:59   #106

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Buying a Smartgauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Sounds more like a composter toilet response.
I don't know what in the world you mean by this. You may take my response literally. What you described does not correspond to others' experience at all. Therefore, it might be reasonable to suspect that your unit is defective.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:00   #107
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Quote:
Originally Posted by john61ct View Post
Oh well knowledge is the light, will overcome ignorance every time.
OK

Collective wisdom will overcome individuals' lack of knowledge

Better?

Surprised you didn't take more issue with "thick-headed"?

Like someone being called a "lunatic old man", and responding "hey, don't call me old!" 8-)
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:01   #108

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Of course it takes time to learn, right in the docs.

There is a huge difference between being skeptical but open

And stating the whole concept is impossible from a lack of knowledge or information, which by the way is the very definition of the word ignorance.

I did not mean it to be insulting, and freely admit there is an almost infinite number of topics about which I am completely ignorant.
Kenbo is not the guy who said "It can't work". I think you have mixed up different posters.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 16-11-2017, 15:07   #109

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
. . . For people who don't motor much, . . .
Do you know anyone like that? I don't. Even keen sailors like me -- willing to spend more than what their first house cost on sails just to get upwind better -- motor at least 30%. of them time, and most cruisers motor way more than 50% of their miles.

It's relevant, because if you a large case, heavy duty alternator, properly regulated, you will get your regular 100% charges from motoring. For most cruisers, this will happen often enough.
Walt Whitman
Old 16-11-2017, 15:07   #110
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I don't know what in the world you mean by this. You may take my response literally. What you described does not correspond to others' experience at all. Therefore, it might be reasonable to suspect that your unit is defective.
You’re taking this stuff much too seriously.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 15:08   #111
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Kenbo is not the guy who said "It can't work". I think you have mixed up different posters.
I know. He was objecting to my comments about a third party. I'm not sure why.
Old 16-11-2017, 15:17   #112
cruiser

Quote:
Another composter toilet response.:
No idea why you think your inferred connotation of that phrase would be meaningful to others.

I was being sincere about helping you troubleshoot your problem.

It is very possible, (IMO likely) that at least one lead chemistry batt released long after the SG's computer was potted, would not have its behaviour adequately represented in the database informing Gibbo's algorithm.

For example when purchasing a Firefly Oasis bank, I clarified with both Bruce and Rod that the SG has been shown to work well with the Firefly's unique and relatively new "Carbon Foam" formulation, before ordering one for that boat.
Old 16-11-2017, 15:28   #113
cruiser

Quote:
No idea why you think your inferred connotation of that phrase would be meaningful to others.

I was being sincere about helping you troubleshoot your problem.

It is very possible, (IMO likely) that at least one lead chemistry batt released long after the SG's computer was potted, would not have its behaviour adequately represented in the database informing Gibbo's algorithm.

For example when purchasing a Firefly Oasis bank, I clarified with both Bruce and Rod that the SG has been shown to work well with the Firefly's unique and relatively new "Carbon Foam" formulation, before ordering one for that boat.
I deleted my post, obviously you and Dock didn’t get the humor or recognize the smiley face. or smiley faces. Forget I ever posted it, I didn’t mean to offend.

My point was... these Smartgauge threads are getting as divisive and opinionated as the anchor and composter toilet threads.... Resulting in members getting too easily offended on this new “ Hot Topic.”

John,

You and Dock’s assistance is always welcome and appreciated.
Old 16-11-2017, 21:40   #114

Boat: Catalina 470

I'm in Sailorboys number 2 camp and agree with Dh's philosophy. I really doubt that a sg would change my behaviour. I do look at the xantrex from a voltage standpoint early every morning and evening, and can't help looking at income solar amps several times a day.

I think battery management becomes a hobby for some, not sure if it needs to be for any reason than entertainment, some like the technical side. Although I enjoy reading and learning from these threads.

Battery management day to day isn't that difficult and doesn't take alot of time or effort, not sure why it needs to, battery management while passage making isn't quite as easy.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 22:19   #115

Boat: Hunter Legend 420 Passage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenbo View Post
While your comment wasn't directed to me, I find the word ignorant to be insulting and off putting......
Ignorance isn't what you don't know, it's what you think you know that is incorrect!
sailinglegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 22:27   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Not that it matters to me, but what is the definition here of "it works"?
See my post #14:

,,,,testing that has been done Enersys, UK MoD, US DoD, TARDEC, TACOM, Balmar, Compass Marine...

Published data by Enersys (Odyssey batteries...) gave accuracy to 3%.
Old 16-11-2017, 22:45   #117

Quote:
Our Smartgauge must have a much lower IQ...
As already suggested maybe there is an installation problem.

It couldn't really be any simpler - unlike a shunt based BM - and do check all the connections for corrosion - every year!

Balmar Manual:

1. The sense wire connected to the B1 terminal on the back of the Smartgauge must be connected to the house (primary) battery bank. The B2 terminal should be connected to the engine starting battery via the secondary sense wire.
2. Both battery banks must be either 12 volts or 24 volts. The Smartgauge cannot be used in a mixed installation with 12-volt and 24-volt battery banks.
3. Battery banks connected to the Smartgauge MUST share a common ground. It is not possible to install the Smartgauge on 2 isolated battery systems or on 2 battery systems with a common positive.
4. Keep wire runs the between the Smartgauge and the batteries as short as possible. Use at least 14-gauge (AWG) wire for B1 sense, B2 sense and Negative (Ground) connections.
5. B1 and B2 sense wires must be fused as near to the batteries as possible. A 3-amp ATC fuse is recommended for each sense wire installed.
6. Positive voltage sense and negative (ground) wires must be connected directly to the battery posts of the batteries being monitored. Connecting them to busses or other non-battery terminal connections could result in poor or inaccurate monitor performance.
7. Do not use positive sense wires or ground wires as power sources for other loads (like warning lights or audible alarms. Doing so will affect Smartgauge accuracy.
8. If Smartgauge is replacing a shunt-based monitor or ammeter, do not connect the sense wires to the existing shunt. The sense wires MUST be connected directly to the batteries being monitored.

Chris Gibson's Smartgauge manual is even more persuasive about why all this is so important.

I would also suggest a 'system reset' and allow Smartgauge to learn again over a few cycles.
Old 16-11-2017, 23:01   #118
cruiser

Yes I can read the install instructions, the installation was done correct... the Smartgauge isn't as "smart" as I require.

Maybe it's good enough for most people.... especially those who routinely plug into shore power frequently. But for those of us who spend our time 100% in anchorages charging with solar panels and generators and using multiple systems including freezers, fridge, water makers and washing machines... it's not smart enough.

If you don't believe me, just ask Noelex and Seaworthy the new owners of the Bestevaer 49. Did they install a smart gauge?... nope, nada. Same situation as us.

Sorry... I won't be joining the Smartgauge fanboy club.
Old 16-11-2017, 23:12   #119
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I'm in Sailorboys number 2 camp and agree with Dh's philosophy. I really doubt that a sg would change my behaviour. I do look at the xantrex from a voltage standpoint early every morning and evening, and can't help looking at income solar amps several times a day.

I think battery management becomes a hobby for some, not sure if it needs to be for any reason than entertainment, some like the technical side. Although I enjoy reading and learning from these threads.

Battery management day to day isn't that difficult and doesn't take alot of time or effort, not sure why it needs to, battery management while passage making isn't quite as easy.

For a cruising boat when a shunt is pretty much a must have for amps in/out it's a bit harder to justify some cruising cash and nav station space for a SG. What would be interesting is for someone like mainesail to do some proper accurate testing to see if a SG would be of any use as guide to capacity left in your bank comparing discharge amps against SOC.
If it is that accurate on discharge then one might help with the very difficult hurdle of doing a battery capacity test on a cruising boat constantly away from shore power.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2017, 23:28   #120
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I have a smartgauge.

For those contemplating purchasing one, you really need to be aware of whether your cruising style and battery/solar/generator arrangement will benefit from it.

below is the pdf from the company on the setup and requirements and what to expect from it. It wont suit everyone.

That said, and no disrespect Ken to your install abilities, and I agree with you that for certain anchor out situations, there are better products available, I do feel there is either something wrong with your unit or a link up is incorrectly connected. As you describe it, the reading of the smartgauge appears incorrect. MANY reasons for this but, It would be nice to have it working correctly regardless.

I dont have multiple systems or requirements so just a glance at it and its where it should be for me is enough. It tells me when something is wrong and thats all I need. There are provisions for big system monitoring in the company but I would compare it to other products if I ever get to needing one. As with everything, its AN answer within many other answers.

Horses for courses.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf sgaugeman_r203.pdf (321.4 KB, 48 views)
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying